Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Default Re: Random Thoughts Thread

All too easily "common sense" is abused to force one's opinion through another one's throat.

I'm going to make a bold statement: common sense is an obstacle in philosophy and therefore has no place in it. It imposes a limit and as such becomes a roadblock to innovative and new ideas. Common sense stands in the way. And not only in philosophy.

I understand @asai about Descartes and some philosophers living in Ivory Towers, and to a certain degree, I concur, but Descartes' was groundbreaking in the sense that his ideas force you to be skeptical about everything, even about things you observe. He takes it to the extreme, which becomes a bit silly, but there is merit in it.

Perhaps it is nothing more than an impression, but I have the impression that in our modern day Western societies, people are not sceptical enough. Everything mainstream media throws at them, is accepted as fact and truth. Sure, you can say some of his ideas are silly, but we need more Descartes who learns us to distrust everything we observe to balance out the lack of scepticism and critical thinking in our societies.

We need more people arguing that perhaps oranges aren't orange to counterbalance the majority which questions nothing.

EDIT: it was ACIN who mentioned asai, which only shows Descartes was right: I shouldn't trust my senses.
    Last edited by Andres; 08-23-2013 at 10:24.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    All too easily "common sense" is abused to force one's opinion through another one's throat.

I'm going to make a bold statement: common sense is an obstacle in philosophy and therefore has no place in it. It imposes a limit and as such becomes a roadblock to innovative and new ideas. Common sense stands in the way. And not only in philosophy.

I understand @asai about Descartes and some philosophers living in Ivory Towers, and to a certain degree, I concur, but Descartes' was groundbreaking in the sense that his ideas force you to be skeptical about everything, even about things you observe. He takes it to the extreme, which becomes a bit silly, but there is merit in it.

Perhaps it is nothing more than an impression, but I have the impression that in our modern day Western societies, people are not sceptical enough. Everything mainstream media throws at them, is accepted as fact and truth. Sure, you can say some of his ideas are silly, but we need more Descartes who learns us to distrust everything we observe to balance out the lack of scepticism and critical thinking in our societies.

We need more people arguing that perhaps oranges aren't orange to counterbalance the majority which questions nothing.
    If I had more time I would make more of an effort to discuss everything you said. But I am way to tired, so I will just ask one quick question.

If you believe that common sense has no place in philosophy, do you believe that our moral intuitions should be completely disregarded in the philosophy of ethics?

I have been using common sense has a substitute for asserting what appears to be obvious on a basic level of observation.

Common Sense is often abused as a description for "my opinion". Asserting that we all see the clock and can read the same time from it, is a common sense standpoint imo. There is a place for this kind of assertion and I feel it has its merits as well as the more subjective and skeptical views.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    I think instead of using the phrase "Common Sense" you would want to be more specific in what kind of knowledge deficit the other person lacks, if you wanted to be all logical and stuff. For example instead of "Geez, of course that's not how it happened, don't you have any common sense?" you could say "Actually, I don't think the Dinosaurs landed on the moon. I'm pretty sure space explored them, not the other way around. Your lack of basic factual knowledge is staggering."
    I agree. I was just borrowing the term from Monty who brought it up with his original post and adapted the definition I thought he was associating with it.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Common sense is a rather vague notion and in a lot of instances, people use it as denominator of what they think is the mainstream opinion of society or simply what they think is correct.

If you say that the clock shows that time, then it is not "common sense" to say that it's now x hours late. It's just that late. Besides, there are arguments contra. The clock could be inexact, in another part of the world, the time is not the same etc. Now, one could argue that it is "common sense" not to start a discussion about how late it is, since we all see the clock, but in a way, it's not common sense, but your opinion. You just say it's common sense to accept that what the clock says is the right time, because you're not interested in a discussion about time zones or about flaws in clock mechanisms that make them inexact. By using the notion "common sense", you avoid the dicussion and attempt to finish it. You stiffle the debate and make it impossible to have a discussion about better clock mechanisms or about time zones.

In the clock example, it can be defended that it would be silly to constantly doubt the time the clock is showing, but where do you draw the line? When is a discussion worth having and not worth having?

The most common answer to that last question, would probably be: use common sense.

If you go far enough however, you'll find out that everyone has a different opinion on what common sense is. If nobody fully agrees on what common sense is in all circumstances, than perhaps it's not so common.

Common sense doesn't exist and thus cannot be used as an argument.
    Last edited by Andres; 08-23-2013 at 10:49.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

^

According to Descartes the only thing you can be sure about is your own existance, cogito ergo sum, I think therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    What i don't like, is the very beginning of the "modern" philosophy and traditions with people like Descarte talking about demons tricking your eyes or whatever the garbage he spews to justify God's existence.
    lmbfao :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

The point is that thing you just missed ACIN. Heck, I don't even like philosophy. Descartes is kinda a rebel.
    Last edited by Fragony; 08-23-2013 at 17:08.

There is nohing more satisfying than hearing these flies having a slow slow and horrible death on the sticky straps I hung up for them, it's like a christmas tree, but with flies. No mercy if you keep harrasing me. I hate flies. They keep comming for my nose and eyes, and the rest of whatever pieces of my body they can, and when they don't they are just doing nothing but flying. HATE flies

Member thankful for this post:

Vuk 

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

-God, Red Orchestra 2 kicks my bum down to the bone!

-I wish faster than light travel was possible within the decade. too bad it won't happen, but I so want to see another Earth-like planet.

-maybe I should have gotten a degree in physics--I could be the guy who makes the Alcubierre drive possible
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

HA! I'm still waiting on my Back to the Future hoverboard.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Sunday in my beautifull little town, having a hangover soothed by the jazz-band playing the saxophone a few meters away. Living here just bleeds pure class, I really like living here

http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&si...KYmN7QaytIGYAQ

Did a spur of the moment trip this weekend to visit a friend. Managed to get through a party where I literally did not know anybody. Probably was the most social I had ever been for about a year or two.

For some reason though, after the party I ended up not sleeping the entire night and barely got an hour and 30 min nap before I drove all the way back to my place. I'm still not sleepy or hungry. I think my brain doesn't know how to cope with large groups.

Looks like I have a new stern dad. Friend of mine cut open his fist for whatever reason and I asked my neighbour if he had some jodium. I had some antibiotics laying around and they were brutily confiscated by my new stern dad. No I couldn't get them back, as I am no doctor. I pointed out that I might need them in the case of a zombie-apocalypse, it didn't work. I just got beaten at survival
    Last edited by Fragony; 08-26-2013 at 14:06.

? Care to explain?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    ? Care to explain?
    Oh common, you know what we do here in the weekends, want to play ;)

Volunteering to run around with grannies. Giving them a nice day out, me and my friends can provide them with the most fun they had since ever, no, not like that you pervert. Tagging them along on the waters & barbecue on empty islands, that should be a welcome change of pace for these oldies

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Volunteering to run around with grannies. Giving them a nice day out, me and my friends can provide them with the most fun they had since ever, no, not like that you pervert. Tagging them along on the waters & barbecue on empty islands, that should be a welcome change of pace for these oldies
    Sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Sure...
    See, you thought of it, busted me gusta

Who knows, you may be able to find a sugar momma!

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Maybe you could recruit some new members for the fight club?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Vuk 

lol, this must be punk the Frags day! lol

Is there such a concept as 'supervenient revenge'?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

10?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Maybe you could recruit some new members for the fight club?
    Oh you want to. No new members yet people are so boring sometimes. We got 6 now want to join ;)

We will be nice I promise

Interior crocodile alligator. I drive a Chevrolet movie theater.

Great, I am having heart trouble just four days before I start my new job! lol

Just heard the owner of the Italian restaurant on the opposite side of my street hanged himself. Not so sure about this I have seen some people lately there that walked out of their sportscars, with very wrong coats and hats, patting him on the cheek, the 'my boy' kind. Pure Sicilia at your door. Can't have been hs revenues, it's a pretty good restaurant that is almost always full

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Oh no! Hope its nothing serious.
    I have no idea. I haven't went to the doctor for it. It is just beating really weird and I am really short on breath.

Count your blessings. My house is really small but really nice, all my friends are idiots but really good at being one but I can trust them with my life, and my cats are awesome. You don't need all that much.

Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast