Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 1996

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

Default Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    If neurons act as a neural network, then a computer software designed for certain tasks and using select characteristics of some neurons will not behave as a "real" neural network.
    But now you entered the constraints of using select characteristics and being designed for specific tasks.
    My point was that these things are still in development, it seems strange to assume that they cannot one day do more.
    And it doesn't just have to be software, apparently some chips are designed as neural networks: http://www.research.ibm.com/cognitiv...ic-chips.shtml

Lightbulb technology will never be "as good as" a sun when it comes to generating light, both because that's an inherent technological constraint and because the design of a lightbulb, being made for specific purposes, is very far from the design of a star.
    That is a very strange way to combine these arguments. The physical limitations are relatively obvious, but to say a light bulb is created for specific purposes that differ from those of a star is a bit odd given that the purpose of a light bulb is to replace the light of a star in places or at time where the light of a star is not readily available. Of course the design is different, having a star with the smallest working mass on our planet would be a bit much and also a bit hote, in fact one would rather say having our planet on such a star rather than the other way around.
    The light bulb still allows you to see things the same way the star does, so with that purpose in mind, they both provide the same result.

If you are refering to the idea that pouring alcohol over a brain vs pouring it over a computer chip on which a neural network is running yields different results, well, whom are you quoting, Captain Obvious?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

it seems strange to assume that they cannot one day do more.
    What they will be able to do in the future depends on how are present assumptions and what we think we are trying to accomplish are revised. The important thing is that 'more of' what we're doing now will not push boundaries.

they both provide the same result.
    And that's exactly what current approaches can manage - and that's fine. But let's not pretend we're building stars when we're just making plain-old lightbulbs.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

What they will be able to do in the future depends on how are present assumptions and what we think we are trying to accomplish are revised. The important thing is that 'more of' what we're doing now will not push boundaries.
    I'm not so sure, but I'm also not deep in the topic (yet).

And that's exactly what current approaches can manage - and that's fine. But let's not pretend we're building stars when we're just making plain-old lightbulbs.
    That's fine, but the comparison with astrology sounds a lot meaner than that.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Is a promotion without a pay raise (or any pay at all) really still a promotion?

EDIT: not talking about my recent donning of the red robes.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

That's fine, but the comparison with astrology sounds a lot meaner than that.
    No, it's spot-on. Echoed here.
    Vitiate Man.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Is a promotion without a pay raise (or any pay at all) really still a promotion?
    Depends. Can you order more people around?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

No, it's spot-on. Echoed here.
    But Astrology is more like a placebo while neural networks actually work. I wasn't aware that people expect them to do our research for us anytime soon. All the mentions I've seen say that such jobs have a very low chance (aka "maybe way in the future") of getting replaced by machines. What I haven't seen until you came along were people who seem to think it's inherently impossibe. Especially after that other theory you had that basically saw the brain as a (rather complicated) input-output-machine. And who says that our future computers can't be partially biological and contain vat-grown neural networks? Some reports of people connecting animal brains to computers already exist.

@Hooahguy: Depends on whether you get something like prestige instead of money, or what drone said, but it can be, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Depends. Can you order more people around?
    Yes, I will be working on a pilot program being the liaison between the parent organization and local groups. And somehow Im still an unpaid intern.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

What I haven't seen until you came along were people who seem to think it's inherently impossibe.
    I did no such thing. I claimed (in another thread probably a year or two ago) that changing our expectations of our current approach is necessary, since it amounts to trying to reverse-engineer a spaceship by sending monkeys with typewriters to crawl over it. We have to re-orient our investigation of principles to abandon these sorts of assumptions on intelligence and consciousness, which is where the theory I referenced, being a theory on the structure and nature of human consciousness, come in.

A quotable way to put my position here is just that you can't devise an artificial intelligence worth writing science fiction of before you you have devised the human intelligence. And the underlying notion there is that doing so would bring significant changes to our societies, even beyond the musings of AI science fiction. That would be the point of singularity.
    Vitiate Man.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Gawd I hate microwaves. It's the only way to have warm food right now as I closed of all gas, heating and cooking is goig to be all electric from now on. That is awesome but ffs they keep cancelling the day to be installing it and I already payed. A microwave has nothing to offer to me I like cooking, not warming up. I want nice ingredients. I want to do it all myself.

You don't need gas to do it all yourself........then again you can produce gas yourse......ok, ok....

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    You don't need gas to do it all yourself........then again you can produce gas yourse......ok, ok....
    Nothing as satisfying as a serenade on the belly-flute

My computer turned the clock back by two hours instead of just one.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

When you have a major paper due in half a week and you are struggling to find the will to write it.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

Beskar 

Is there somewhere you can buy bottles of luck?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Yorkshire Gold is powerful tea. Stains the teeth horribly. Drink a cup of plain water shortly after drinking a cup of Yorkshire Gold.
    Vitiate Man.

When you have a major paper due in half a week and you are struggling to find the will to write it.
    Start :p
    No really, just start writing. If you've organized the structure in your head, just start getting stuff on a page.
    If you haven't really thought about structure, write an outline.
    I used to get in a bind - "I should start but..."; best thing to do is just start (even if its gibberish)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Lol well the paper is long done, I actually got a 93 on it.
    But thanks!
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Heartbreak might just be the worst thing ever. This freaking sucks. How do you guys get over the person who you thought was "the one"? Its still raw, just happened yesterday but I feel like I lost my best friend now. And she was my best friend.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-30-2016 at 16:52.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Vuk 

A cry and a nap might do it in many cases.
    Vitiate Man.

Oh Ive done that already lol. The whole thing was weird because we were both super close and she said in her mind she should have feelings but just doesnt. Maybe she was just saying that to make me feel better. I dont know. But what I do know is that we will probably never as close as we used to be.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-30-2016 at 16:53.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Spend the rest of your life jacking off to hentai and dedicating 90% of your time to work.

Oh Ive done that already lol. The whole thing was weird because we were both super close and she said in her mind she should have feelings but just doesnt. Maybe she was just saying that to make me feel better. I dont know. But what I do know is that we will probably never as close as we used to be.
    I also had a good friend that I confessed my feelings to, and even though she didn't like me back we were still good friends for a long time afterward. I think you'll be OK as long as you let it go and don't say anything more about it to her. If she values your friendship than she won't want this to affect the relationship either.

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Tuuvi View Post
    I also had a good friend that I confessed my feelings to, and even though she didn't like me back we were still good friends for a long time afterward. I think you'll be OK as long as you let it go and don't say anything more about it to her. If she values your friendship than she won't want this to affect the relationship either.
    Yeah I think you are right. We had to interact today for a class and while it was definitely strained, it wasnt bad. Not great, but it was good enough where I think there is hope. We just need time and some distance.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-30-2016 at 16:52.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

One final exam down, two to go tomorrow! And then I am done for the semester.

Also things with my friend from the previous comments are back to normal so thats good.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Members thankful for this post (2):

Rye bread is still for peasants, but DIE SPELZWAFFELN
    Vitiate Man.

Heartbreak might just be the worst thing ever. This freaking sucks. How do you guys get over the person who you thought was "the one"? Its still raw, just happened yesterday but I feel like I lost my best friend now. And she was my best friend.
    lol, ten years later I still haven't. :P Sorry mate...I don't have any good answers for you.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Straight A's this semester!
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Members thankful for this post (3):

I am curious as to how Tom Scott, grew such a large channel on computer science when his background is in linguistics. Must have been a hobby of his at first and developed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    lol, ten years later I still haven't. :P Sorry mate...I don't have any good answers for you.
    You need to move on. Not being mean here, but think of it like this... If there was only one girl meant for you, what does that say about your own personality as a human?

Wouldn't you rather think of yourself as someone who can empathize and bond with different types of people rather than one individual?

In addition, women are just as flawed as you are. They will let you down and putting the ones you have feelings for on a pedestal is not what they even want from you.

Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast