Page 52 of 67 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1996

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

Default Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Lightbulb technology will never be "as good as" a sun when it comes to generating light, both because that's an inherent technological constraint and because the design of a lightbulb, being made for specific purposes, is very far from the design of a star.
    Guys, please look up the facts before making statements like these. Wikipedia gives a solar luminosity figure of 98 lumens per watt. I can buy a Cree LED 100W equivalent light bulb that out puts 1,650 lumens at 16.5 Watts. We are already there and the technology is still improving.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Guys, please look up the facts before making statements like these. Wikipedia gives a solar luminosity figure of 98 lumens per watt. I can buy a Cree LED 100W equivalent light bulb that out puts 1,650 lumens at 16.5 Watts. We are already there and the technology is still improving.
    What do you think raising the subject of energy efficiency relates to my post?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

What do you think raising the subject of energy efficiency relates to my post?
    First half of your statement was that lightbulb technology will never be "as good as" a sun when it comes to generating light because of "inherent technological constraint".

My point is that we already have lightbulbs that are better at generating light than the sun.

My point is that we already have lightbulbs that are better at generating light than the sun.
    Why do you say that? Your citing of the metric offers no context to what we make of the sun - and note that with respect to the sun the wattage component of the efficacy apparently refers to the radiated heat rather than direct source electrical consumption or conversion.

No, what you have cited goes toward evaluating some lamps against others in generation of light. Don't misuse metrics in response to a criticism of the misuse of metrics.
    Vitiate Man.

Why do you say that? Your citing of the metric offers no context to what we make of the sun - and note that with respect to the sun the wattage component of the efficacy apparently refers to the radiated heat rather than direct source electrical consumption or conversion.

No, what you have cited goes toward evaluating some lamps against others in generation of light. Don't misuse metrics in response to a criticism of the misuse of metrics.
    Personally, I think you are trying to avoid admitting that your original comment was sloppy in its wording. This isn't the backroom though, so I don't want to push this thread into a more combative discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Personally, I think you are trying to avoid admitting that your original comment was sloppy in its wording.
    I can own to that.
    Vitiate Man.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Got glasses for the first time in almost 2 and a half decades. The streak is over. Thankfully its only for when Im driving.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Academically this year was great. But for bascially everything else it sucked.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Science marches on!
    World's smallest snowman:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ms-new-record/

Since it was done by a guy, he'll probably get a Nobel Prize; unlike the deserving (but female) Vera Rubin http://www.astronomy.com/news/2016/10/vera-rubin
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 12-31-2016 at 21:52.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

Risasi 

Science with plot twists

Now something that remains is to take the article's own advice of fact-checking and apply it to the article itself and its references. Sounds like a good job for computer algorithms.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Science with plot twists

Now something that remains is to take the article's own advice of fact-checking and apply it to the article itself and its references. Sounds like a good job for computer algorithms.
    Relevant on Sutton's rabbit hole (the spinach-checker/debunker source).
    Vitiate Man.

So the first day of my college class on Ancient Rome was cancelled today as they had a late start due to ice on the roads. Yes my state is that pathetic. So my professor for the class emails us this:

"Carissimi Discipuli (dear students),

The Romans wouldn't have canceled class over a little bit of ice. That's not how you build an empire, my friends."

Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Relevant on Sutton's rabbit hole (the spinach-checker/debunker source).
    Already had a glance at it while (or was it after ) reading the paper, might give it a read.

On another note, wonder what would happen if one were to do the cite-check thing on some of these papers. Surely, a miscitation of crab and eel poetry would be autoethnographic in nature, revealing the subconscious of the author, and therefore to be studied by others. Maybe we could enter an endless loop of 'science' production if we reach a critical of mass of people writing about this paper and its derivatives.

Much better than untruths about spinach.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    The Romans wouldn't have canceled class over a little bit of ice. That's not how you build an empire, my friends.
    I wouldn't be so sure.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Women move either too fast or too slow...
    They are either paranoid and overly cautious or they throw all caution to the wind and act like idiots...
    God bless them, but I don't think I will ever understand what goes on in their minds.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Incidentally, my pizza and cold coke will be ready at ideal time for the coming SpaceX launch.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Waiting for the Apocalypse?
    It's here Hurrah!:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...le-antibiotic/

Ok, one case of bacteria resistant to everything the U.S. can throw at it, may not signal the end of the world...but...
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Do good things happen in threes? I don't really know. Haven't tested the theory yet. Darn my innate procrastination.
    Silence is beautiful

Being kneed in the face is always humbling.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I have run an experiment. One is better than three. Who knew?
    Silence is beautiful

vrijbuiter Senior Member Rob The Bastard's Avatar

I felt the need to light a candle for Tosa Inu.
    I couldn't find my way to the old place. So I lit one anew...

http://gratefulness.org/candle/933721-2/

It's odd, but his passing still makes me sad.
    Last edited by Rob The Bastard; 01-20-2017 at 20:45. Reason: Fresh candle...

Bring Back Buck

Members thankful for this post (3):

I am the luckiest man on earth. I am blessed to know someone who brings out the good in everyone around her, and makes me see the good in everything.
    There is nothing on this earth more that I could want than to simply be by her side. She is the only woman who has ever been able to make me feel love, and I wouldn't trade knowing her for the world.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Suppose you are asked to name the two related items in a list of words such as “train, bus, track”. What would you say? This is known as the “triad test”, and people in the West might pick

“bus” and “train” because they are both types of vehicles. A holistic thinker, in contrast, would say “train” and “track”, since they are focusing on the functional relationship between the two – one item is essential for the other’s job.
    http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2017...different-ways

Afraid I picked the Asian answer.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

No reason to accept that.

The only English paper I could find even briefly mentioning a "train track bus" triad in crosscultural context was here, and it describes differences between East and West Europeans, who both tend to make the "thematic" (i.e. train-track) selection over the taxonomic (i.e. train-bus) one, West Europeans more pronounced than East. Beyond the poor theoretical grounds, then, this directly contradicts the BBC exposition on "Eastern" vs. "Western" analogies.

Bad BBC. Bad.
    Vitiate Man.

Well, an article published in Science that is linked to in the BBC article mentions that triad:

Our main dependent variable was a common measure of cultural thought, the triad task (17). The triad task shows participants lists of three items, such as train, bus, and tracks. Participants decide which two items should be paired together. Two of the items can be paired because they belong to the same abstract category (train and bus belong to the category vehicles), and two because they share a functional relationship (trains run on tracks). People from Western and individualistic cultures choose more abstract (analytic) pairings, whereas East Asians and people from other collectivistic cultures choose more relational (holistic) pairings (1, 17). We report scores as a percentage of holistic choices, where 100% is completely holistic and 0% is completely analytic.
    Can't make your link work, though I found the paper here.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Well, an article published in Science that is linked to in the BBC article mentions that triad:

Can't make your link work, though I found the paper here.
    Some problems with the rice and wheat hypothesis:

Talhelm et al. (2014) reported an interesting investigation on the psychological differences between
    Southern and Northern Han Chinese populations in China. By interviewing 1162 undergraduate
    students from different regions, the authors showed that the Chinese from the southern “ricegrowing
    area” are more holistic-thinking and interdependent, while the Chinese from the northern
    “wheat-growing area” are more analytic-thinking and independent. These psychological differences
    can be explained by the differences between rice and wheat farming, not the modernization theory.
    The authors suggested that this “rice vs. wheat” theory can partially explain the different thought
    styles between Eastern and Western people, and the persistent interdependence of wealthy East
    Asia.
    When comparing
    wheat with rice statistics, the authors grouped the corn and soybeans farming area with the wheat
    area (Talhelm et al., 2014). This simplified method may be valid when wheat dominates over corn
    and soybeans, however, this does not uniformly occur in Northern China
    These results suggest that there would be an equal chance for corn farming to affect population
    psychology in Northern China. The term “rice vs. wheat agriculture” coined by Talhelm et al.
    (2014) cannot accurately reflect their findings. From their data, it seems to be more appropriate to
    attribute the psychological differences to “rice vs. non-rice agriculture”.
    However,
    the amendment of “rice vs. wheat agriculture” to “rice vs.
    non-rice agriculture” in the hypothesis would lead to different
    implications.
    Thus the theory would then predict that there should be
    psychological differences between rice-growing East/South East
    Asian and the rest of world. This prediction is inconsistent
    with the dominant view in psychology that Western populations
    show different psychological traits as compared with nonWestern
    populations. Non-Westerns, which include groups as
    diverse as Arabs, East Asians, Russians, and farmers in Africa
    and South America, have been shown to rely more on holistic
    reasoning and have more interdependent views of self than
    Westerners (Henrich et al., 2010).
    t for many of these non-Westerners, e.g., people from
    the South and Middle America, and Middle East regions, nonrice
    crops such as corn or wheat are dominant over rice.
    According to the “rice vs. non-rice agriculture” theory, they
    are expected to be more similar to Westerners. However, it
    has been shown that these people demonstrate the same level
    of, or increased holistic processing and collectivism as compared
    to Chinese people (Allik and Realo, 2004; Henrich et al.,
    2010).
    The analysis of current and future
    data should focus on the impact of different production costs of
    different agricultures, instead of these agricultures themselves, on
    individualism vs. collectivism

As for the triad, these terms are quite something to unpack. The Central/East vs. West European article uses the terms "taxonomic" (train-bus) vs. "thematic" (train-track), while Science/BBC use for the same "holistic" vs. "abstract/analytic" or "categorical" vs. "functional". In the JCC paper (my link), their Europeans choose what the Science authors calls holistic/functional (>thematic?), which should apparently be chosen by Asians and non-Westerners. Questionable application of terminology at the least. Anyway, the references they provide for this claim are earlier papers by the same authors. Here is 2001 and 2004. 2001 is not pertinent to the triad but delves into their idea of a holistic/analytical distinction. Don't really care to read it unless you want to discuss that. 2004 deals with triads but does not include the train-bus triad. Irritatingly, they do not present the actual experimental items/triads beyond a few mentions. They only present graphs of the transformed results from the implied data.

Here are some of the triads they do mention:

There were 10 sets of test items and 10 sets of fillers. The three words in
    each testing set could be grouped on the basis of thematic relations,
    categorical relations, or neither. Participants’ groupings were coded as
    relational if they suggested an object–context or subject–object relationship,
    such as monkey and bananas, shampoo and hair, or conditioner and
    hair. Groupings were coded as categorical if they suggested shared features
    or category memberships, for example, monkey and panda or shampoo and
    conditioner. Similarly, participants’ explanations were coded as either
    relational (e.g., “Monkeys eat bananas”) or categorical (e.g., “Monkeys and
    pandas are both animals”). Examples for filler items included child–
    teenager–adult and Monday–Wednesday–Friday.
    Within each of the 10 testing sets, there were 3 possible ways for
    participants to select two items. In total, there were 30 possible ways of
    grouping, 14 of which were coded as relational (such as policeman and
    uniform, and postman and uniform) and 11 of which were coded as
    categorical (such as policeman and postman). Thus, the stimuli were biased
    toward relational grouping.
    The Americans were tested in English, and the Chinese were tested in
    either English or Chinese, as randomly assigned. Ideally, it would be very
    informative if we could have recruited American bilinguals who could read
    and write in both English and Chinese, but that turned out to be an almost
    impossible task because of the great difficulty of finding such people, even
    on the campus of a large U.S. university

So: monkey/panda/banana (no monkey/panda/bamboo?), shampoo/conditioner/hair, and policeman/postman/uniform. Then:

In Study 1, participants had more opportunities
    to group objects on the basis of relationships than on the basis of
    categories within each set. For example, selecting postman and uniform or
    policeman and uniform would both be considered relational, whereas there
    was only one way to be categorical, that is, selecting postman and policeman.
    This resulted in a possible bias toward relational grouping overall. In
    Study 2, we presented more balanced sets so that within each set only one
    relational and one categorical grouping could be made. We designed two
    grouping tests in the same format as the test used in Study 1. In each test,
    there were 8 test items, such as carrot–rabbit–eggplant and teacher–
    doctor–homework
    , and 10 filler items. We counterbalanced the language
    used in testing, the test versions, and the testing order.

No explanation of Chinese items. Were they direct translations/counterparts of the English? I didn't see anything about checking individual-triad comparisons between groups or between individuals. And, given the performance of Europeans in the other study opposite to that predicted by this model, what about the Europeans? Who were these "European-Americans", and where did they live and where did their ancestors hail from (in light of distinction between Mainland, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and American Chinese)?
    Last edited by Montmorency; 01-23-2017 at 12:26.
    Vitiate Man.

Not familiar with the subject; just wanted to point out the Science article.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

I'm sorry.

Vitiate Man.

Montmorency should be sorry indeed.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

I had a coworker tell me that I needed to settle down so I wouldn't have to eat bachelor cooking anymore. Apparently she is unaware that I won the office cook-off two years in a row, and am planning on a third tomorrow. I literally have not yet met a woman can cook better than I can. I've met many who can cook far more dishes than I can, but none who can cook the dishes I am good at better than I can.
    lol, when I settle down, it will be for very different reasons.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Could be a way for her to suggest you giving her a nudge nudge wink wink.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Page 52 of 67 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast