Thread: How to get the mod to work on Steam with Alexander?

Question How to get the mod to work on Steam with Alexander?

I used to play RTW years ago, but haven't done so for a long time, so I decided to go back to it since I was hearing so much about the sequel, so I decided to look for mods and your EB mod seems really good. So I'm trying to install it, but it's really confusing.

At first I just visited your main site and downloaded the two files (EB 1.1 and 1.2) and I managed to install them correctly and got the game working via Steam.

However I then found out that there's a different installation if you want to use the Alexander expansion, which I do. I have Rome Gold (with BI) and Alex on Steam and I've tried following the advice which is found in various parts of this site to get it working, but I just can't seem to get the mod to run.

There seems to be an issue with a lot of the advice being out of date, I mean I don't know if info from 2007 or 2010 is still valid or not. For instance I tried to follow the steps outlined in the Installing EB with steam guide (the forum won't let me link to it), but some of the steps which it outlined weren't possible. For instance it says that after you install the EB1.1 and 1.2 it will automatically create desktop shortcuts for you and you have to then edit the target of those shortcuts. But no such shortcuts were ever created on my desktop, so I can't really do anything with that.

So, can someone please outline to me exactly how to get the mod working on Steam with Alexander?

Thanks.

Default Re: How to get the mod to work on Steam with Alexander?

Anyone have any advice here? Or should I post this in the tech support forum?

tech suport ofc

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I will move this thread to the tech support forum, although I am not sure if the team can help. They made EB for vanilla R:TW: other platforms are not officially supported by them.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Ok forget about it, I'm just playing the mod on the Vanilla RTW.

Having re-installed EB for use with Alex on Steam recently, I can comiserate, and maybe even help.

Someone at some point should have come up with a set of install instructions that isn't a dang book. I mean, are there really that many steps?!

1) The installation files are the same. However, install into the 'rome total war alexander' folder instead of 'rome total war gold', under the Steam folder. Ignore any warnings you get from the installer.

Of course, you install 1.1 first, and thereafter patch up to 1.2.

2) I never bother with the EB executable or shortcuts and I can't remember if I've ever gotten them to work or not.

Instead, I open up the Steam client and from Library, go to 'Add a Game' (bottom left). I select the RomeTW-ALX.exe, and then edit the launch properties as such:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war alexander\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -show_err -mod:EB -nm -noalexander
    ...adding the -show_err -mod:EB -nm -noalexander to the end.

3) I had to copy a file chat_filter.san from the \common\rome total war alexander\alexander\data folder to \common\rome total war alexander\eb\Data

That should get you up and running. Of course, there are also a series of EB1.2 fixes you should download and unzip into the eb\data folder, because including them with the install itself would have been too easy.

To take full advantage of ALX.exe -- namely night battles, and the problem of your family members never getting too old to die -- there are some other file edits that have been compiled into a ZIP file, also for unzipping to the eb\data folder, I believe.

Apologies for being a little lazy to track those links down again, but I'm assuming you can find them if you haven't already with a little browsing, and anyway, you just need to get the game launched up first.

There are youtube videos on how to do it. Look them up, I would post a link but there's quite a few of them.