Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just how badly does Microsoft want the Xbox One to fail

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Just how badly does Microsoft want the Xbox One to fail

So this has gone viral.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Yes, but 8gb is still overkill. I've got a pretty beefy gaming PC and even I only run 8gb, and that's with vastly more programs running than the XBone/PS4 ever will have. That said, it's overkill I understand and I think it's a good decision. RAM was a major bottle-neck on the previous generation because it was woefully inadequate for the needs of the software by the end of the lifespan. The problem there was that the RAM situation was generally acceptable at the time the console was released, but quickly became obsolete after the console had been out for a few years. Add in the increasing online connectivity of the devices over their lifespan, and the RAM usage got even more dire in the 360/PS3. I think both Sony and MS have been very wise with going for 8gb on this generation. RAM is cheap, and including that much in the system right now probably doesn't increase the price very much. At the same time, it gives far better 'future-proofing' to the system and will help the systems keep up with game evolution for far longer than the previous generation did. So, it's a wise decision; not really necessary now, but it's designed for future expansion.
    Gracias. I expect nor demand a major advancement in the actual graphics really from the next-gen consoles, but if 'clearing the desk' as Paps puts it give developers more space to work with I am all for it, it's no revolutionary device but it doesn't need to be imho. For only 399 euro the ps4 is a really generous proposition, they should find a way to make it backwards compatible though, I don't really want a ps4, I want a ps3.5

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	microsoft-xboxone-fail.gif 
Views:	75 
Size:	523.7 KB 
ID:	9517  

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Members thankful for this post (5):

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    A quik look at the reaction should give you a proper indication

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ts-us-to-smile

major PR-fail that only hardcore xbox-fan will forgive. Sony made good use of this, the xbox one is probably dead on arival.

Update: they are keeping always connect. Just what I want, a device that's watching my movements and listening to what I say. I wouldn't want an xbox-one if I got the purchasing-price with it and the entire gaming library for free. If I wrote how I feel about this...... thing..... I would probably make the moderators really sad, and I like the moderators I wouldn't do that to them it would be mean. I'll just hunt at where I feel I should put this atrocity, sideways and with extreme and with brutish force
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-20-2013 at 11:18.

honestly Microsoft keep going from bad to worse with each reaction to what has been a total PR mess

The only innovative feature of the X-Box One was the Games library features - this was generally interesting and as a long time Steam user it sounded like Steam+ (the ability to share games with Friends (only 10 though) without having to send them the disk or not being able to play yourself was a great idea)

The Whole "have to connect every day even to play single player" was the real killer to the entire thing and that was what needed to go...

Instead they throw the baby out with the bathwater and now all they are left with is a Hardware upgrade over the 360... color me unimpressed

This is basically true of Sony as well... over all I suspect i wont even both to buy EITHER of them

I will absolutily buy a ps4, it's nothing more than a really powerfull gaming machine and I am perfectly fine with that

Members thankful for this post (2):

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Moody View Post
    This is basically true of Sony as well... over all I suspect i wont even both to buy EITHER of them
    This is my position as well. Hopefully transferring to a new job soon anyway, which will make PC Gaming not as restrictive price-wise. Having the consoles be similar price to a good gaming box also helps.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

These will both be less than half the price of a good gaming PC. No arguements.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    These will both be less than half the price of a good gaming PC. No arguements.
    Same price for a Good Gaming PC Box for me.

Last Gaming box I bought was 6 years ago and still use it. I am still playing a lot of games on High settings (and Ultra on older games). I like to think that in 6 years, technology has progressed where I can buy a box for the identical price, it would show a significant improvement.

If you were wondering for specs, that is 8gig DDR2 Ram, Quad Core Q6600 2.4ghz, Nvidia GT8800 (all released late 2006/early 2007)
    Last edited by Beskar; 06-24-2013 at 23:51.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

Jesus, that's almost exactly what I have. Except I have a GTX 560 Ti.

Evidentally, Beskar is my stalker.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-25-2013 at 05:18.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Jesus, that's almost exactly what I have. Except I have a GTX 560 Ti.

Evidentally, Beskar is my stalker.
    Just realised why I joined the forum only ten days after you, now? Dum dee dum~

Actually, the Q6600 ended up being a very robust piece of kit, thus it was widely popular and used in many gaming configurations. I haven't really felt "the need" to upgrade, even though I would desire to replace my system. I am still awaiting the 25nm(?) processors to be released.

I'm all for the always-on Kinect. I live in the US, so the government can already listen to what I say through my phone (even when it's turned off as long as the battery is on) or through the cable box, so ... I have no privacy anyway, so whatever. Besides, I mostly trust Microsoft not do do anything wrong with their ability to spy on me, and one can always just put a cover over the Kinect or even just turn the Xbox off.

What you get from an always-on Kinect is incentive for developers to actually incorporate it into games as something more than a sideshow or gimmick, since they can be confident that the entire user base will have one ready to go. I suspect that this will lead to more innovation in how game controls are set up. Yes, controllers are very nice, but I believe we can find better (or at least different and refreshing) ways to interact with games.

In my opinion, the privacy threat more worth focusing on would be Sony's poor security record. My family had a PS 3, and a bit after PSN got hacked, we ran into some fraud issues with our credit card. Fraud protection means that we didn't lose any money, but it's really not something I want to worry about. That experience really soured me on the PS 3 and Sony in general.

Also, I remember hearing all that "PS 3 is a super computer!" stuff back in the day, and after playing some PS 3 games that I've also seen on Xbox 360, I couldn't say I noticed much of a difference. I expect that the current crop of hype will prove disappointing as well.

For the record, I'm not super invested in the "PS 4 v. Xbox One" spat. I'd be okay with owning either.

Microsoft failing at media and marketing is really nothing new : p It's funny to watch though.

Blog Entries

http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/19/lann...-indie-stance/

Looks like another gaff by the Xbone team.

Hilarious http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ng-message-dig

I agree with just about every comment there.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

We heard people valued some of the existing generation's disc-based DRM, so we said we're going to add that to the digital ecosystem we're building.
    Which people like disk based DRM? Who likes DRM full stop? Yes not being connected to the Internet to play a game is great. Having to have disk based DRM is better but not valued.

I prefer a flea bite to a shark bite. I do not value flea bites.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12