Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dragon Age Inquisition

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Default Re: Dragon Age Inquisition

Until something like IBM's Watson is used to make the NPC dialogue dynamic RPGs will be immersion breaking train-wrecks in my view. And I can't even begin to count how many times I've done things in RPGs that should have changed not only the course of the story but how everyone reacted to me, nothing happened.

As for engaging story, looking in the wrong place if you want that from PC Games, the worst book I've read in the last decade had better story and character development in the 1st chapter than the millions of lines of brain dead awful dialogue I've read in RPGs. I could make a similar arguement comparison between cinema and RPGs.

So, at least in my view, managing to get through them even once and feeling like you had some good entertainment is an achievement. Often requiring that I ignore a lot of the repetition and stupidity that crops up constantly. Not surprisingly I guess I don't play many RPGs.

The best way to handle story telling is emergent imho. The story I craft myself in strategy games or in a world exploration games like minecraft or hopefully No Man's Sky don't require that the story or characters be crafted by the developer, they get a helping hand from the player themselves.

Yeah, I'm a harsh critic of the medium it might seem, but then I don't see why I shouldn't be given that all forms of entertainment compete equally for my time.
    Last edited by easytarget; 02-16-2015 at 22:18.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Well, I don't play game for realism. I play game for pure enjoyment, and I did had in this game.
    I was 5 years a professional soldier and I surely don't want to go through what I had when 20 years old at 56.
    I did like the dialogues (I concede, you should have kept your legs crossed, no concede, give-up, not conceived, still makes me chuckle), the stories and the combats. Good entertainment I say.
    Yeah, flaws, indeed, but just get over it and just play. It is a real thing, and I don't see any antagonism between PC games and so-called real life events like sitting on a bench and texting friends instead to talk to them. And at least you are hopefully in a warm and nice place.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Entertainment is the key, many roads up that mountain, so I would never insist my view is THE view, just mine and I'm willing to share it as there's little other point to a game forum.

For me one of those roads that is crossed off is ever setting the burden of character development or decent story telling on poor ole PC Games. At least not at the present, who knows down the road, but currently we're in the silent picture phase.

And while you might not find war gaming your cup o tea at this point, I'd be remiss not to mention a fine little gem called Combat Mission that you might even in spite of yourself find interesting. http://www.battlefront.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12