Thread: Mirror's Edge

Default Mirror's Edge

EA is making another ME. Normally I would be beyond excited, but seeing that EA is publishing it and I am boycotting EA, I will just sit back and watch with mild interested. Ok, I am lying. I will be drooling over it, but probably will not be buying it. It is a shame that EA sucks so much, because they publish some awesome titles. ME is one of my favorite games.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Default Re: Mirror's Edge

Gotta say I wasn't a fan of the original Mirror's Edge.

The concept was great, but I felt it was poorly executed. It was not a bad game at all, but the excellent parts of it (puzzle-based freerunning challenges, speed sections) were brought down by forced combat and boss battles towards the end and a laughable story.

Overall, it's got a lot of potential though, so here's hoping the EA dev team focuses more on refining the gameplay and less on making money with Day 1 DLC and the like. But really, what are the chances of that?
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
    Gotta say I wasn't a fan of the original Mirror's Edge.

The concept was great, but I felt it was poorly executed. It was not a bad game at all, but the excellent parts of it (puzzle-based freerunning challenges, speed sections) were brought down by forced combat and boss battles towards the end and a laughable story.

Overall, it's got a lot of potential though, so here's hoping the EA dev team focuses more on refining the gameplay and less on making money with Day 1 DLC and the like. But really, what are the chances of that?
    Yeah, I agree that the boss battle cheapened it. I gotta say though, I like how they implemented combat though. The game was still mostly just running, but it had enough combat sprinkled in to keep things interesting. I think it hit a good balance. Also, most if not all of the combat (save the boss battles) was avoidable, thus make the cops serve only to make your running more intense. I agree as well on the story though. It was pretty lame. If it had a good story and the nixed the boss battles, I think it would have been perfect. I really liked the rest of it.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I hope it will be more than a tech demo this time, as I completed it within 5-6 hours, which is simply, too fast considering I died a lot. Sure it was a fun game, but had no story whatsoever.

I want to see more before even thinking about buying this.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Mirror's Edge was awesome, but they already made it clear the gameplay will be different. That doesn't have to be a bad thing as you kept wanting the game to be better executed. I'll when it's done.

EA isn't that bad by the way, they publish games for the masses but what is wrong with that. EA has excellent quality control there are much worse publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    EA isn't that bad by the way, they publish games for the masses but what is wrong with that. EA has excellent quality control there are much worse publishers.
    Yes, Kalypso is notorious for often publishing crap nobody else would touch.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    Yes, Kalypso is notorious for often publishing crap nobody else would touch.
    Yes, because the only games worth touching are WoW and CoD and their derivatives.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

People just like COD. It's a franchise people love to hate, but you get TONS of content and it all runs with a flawless 60fps. Next COD you get to chose to just buy the multiplayer, good call. I don't like the sp but the multiplayer is great. EA releases very polished games, and with the indie-scene flourishing you can hardly say they get in anyones way. People just want a new COD Fifa or whatever every year. So they publish it. And they don't cheat you
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-06-2013 at 08:16.

I don't bother with the single player. It's nice that the multiplayer will be sold seperatily next time. Always great maps, and the controls are responsive because it all runs on 60fps

Multiplayer focus ruins so many good singleplayer games. Honestly, most game's multiplayer sucks and their communities suck. (Deus Ex and Unreal Tournament Classic being the great exceptions)
    The only good way to play multiplayer on most games is big lan parties of people you know and trust. Everything else is just a load of suck TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Multiplayer focus ruins so many good singleplayer games. Honestly, most game's multiplayer sucks and their communities suck. (Deus Ex and Unreal Tournament Classic being the great exceptions)
    The only good way to play multiplayer on most games is big lan parties of people you know and trust. Everything else is just a load of suck TBH.
    I have no headset so I don't notice the assholes, I just dive into a random game and shoot. Rogue Spear had an awesome community, downright chivalrous. No harsh words if you accidently killed a teammate, I wonder how that would go in COD

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I have no headset so I don't notice the assholes, I just dive into a random game and shoot. Rogue Spear had an awesome community, downright chivalrous. No harsh words if you accidently killed a teammate, I wonder how that would go in COD
    I have not played that game, but every other multiplayer game I have played except the two I have mentioned have had online communities dominated by whiny, 14 year old, arrogant, vulgar kids who make the games not even worth playing. It has given me a bad taste for multiplayer. I remember back in the day, playing Deus Ex and my brothers and I stick together and use really good team work and everyone is saying "Great teamwork guys!". Try doing the same in Combat Arms on a team deathmatch and everyone is crying "TEAMER! KICK THEM! THEY'RE TEAMERS!" and we get kicked.
    Back when we played DX and UT we were really good at snap shooting, and again would get congratulated for it. On modern games if you play well you are accused of hacking ("I saw him twitch!" "There is no way someone could have killed me!") and kicked from the game. You really have to suck if you don't want to be kicked every two seconds.

Was really good fun, always congratulating a good kill (you never knew who killed you untill game was over), and always congratulating other team. We kicked UK's team out of a tournament which was kinda expected to win the 500 pounds, no hard feelings at all, had many fun games later. (We got kicked out as well later). Fun times.

Raven Shield was also awesome but I returned to Rogue Spear eventually, matter of taste. The pc-versions of the Rainbow Six series are a masterclass in map design. City Street Large = best map ever.