Thread: Opening video cuts off top half of screen for RTW and Barbarian Invasion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Opening video cuts off top half of screen for RTW and Barbarian Invasion

I have played RTW for many years even on this desktop i'm using. All of a sudden yesterday when I opened the game the opening video had the top half of the screen cut off. It was just simply black on the top half and video showing on the bottom half. I have checked to make sure this isn't a problem with my monitor. I have never had this problem before and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a fix for this. Please help!

Default Re: Opening video cuts off top half of screen for RTW and Barbarian Invasion

I got an account on this forum just because I got the exact same problem yesterday!

This is really weird because until a few days ago, it seems that nobody ever had this problem. Then a thread about this exact same problem came up yesterday at Total War Center. (can't post links yet it seems, but it is in the Total War Eras Technical Help sub forum.)

It's definitely weird that several people got the same problem on the same day. I hope there is a solution to this problem, but at least we can still play the game.

Default Re: Opening video cuts off top half of screen for RTW and Barbarian Invasion

Ok, great news, I found a solution to this problem!
    So it seems that the cause of this problem is indeed the recent Windows update, for some reason. Here's how I did it on my Windows 7 operating system:
    1. I clicked Start-Control Panel.
    2. Then I clicked Programs-view installed updates.
    3. Then I double-clicked and uninstalled some of the updates that had 7/11/13 next to it. (I didn't really know what I was doing, so I actually only uninstalled some of the updates with 7/11/13 next to it.)
    4. I then restarted my computer, hoping beyond hopes that I uninstalled the update that was causing this problem.
    5. I then started Rome Total War and---no half screen!
    Again, I'm not sure what I was really doing, and there are still about 8 updates from 7/11/13 still installed, but it ended up working for me.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Thanks, man! I see there are a whole lot of those updates for 7/11/2013. If I have to, I will remove all of them. When I beat the game with the Greek Cities or Seleucids, it is very important to me to see the victory video with the music since it's the best thing ever.

Same issue here... After the new Windows updates were installed, RTW's videos are shown cut in half. Does anyone know which update is causing the problem? It would be a major drag to have to uninstall all of them and then go through the hassle of having to reinstall/reboot one by one until the bad one pops up!

A look on the Steam website for the game has answered which update it was, and to save other people having to uninstall everything, I'll say that the update was the security update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2803821), which you can find once in the installed updates menu by using the searchbar to find KB2803821.

Incidentally, on my computer at least there was no need to restart, so try launching the game before you do.

Members thankful for this post (2):