Thread: Campaign map marching range and streets

Default Campaign map marching range and streets

When I played EB as the Ptolemies I was always a bit annoyed about the range of armies marching cross country (in this case cross desert). I imagined the streets as rows of watering points and small supply stations without which no bigger army should dare to cross the desert. In the northern regions, walking cross country through woods or other rough terrain would also slow down a bigger army enormously. Streets or ways of any kind on the other hand are a great help for marching.

What I like to imply, would it be possible and plausible to give armies much more movepoints (I mean much!) on and near campaign map streets and hamper them greatly away from them? Or is it actually planned already? Or not, for coding reasons or gameplay considerations? Would make the control of streets an strategical and tactical goal and possession of some strongholds very important.
    Last edited by geala; 07-25-2013 at 10:11.
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Default Re: Campaign map marching range and streets

I don't know how it is going to be for EBII, but iirc EBI did that because otherwise the AI armies (with realistic movement points) would jump around mindlessly...

Roads in EB (Medieval II) are an abstract concept. You see certain roads connecting places, but the movement bonus applies to the whole province. This is as if you have built a complete network of roads throught the area and not just those major ones that you can see.

Yes, movement in the desert away from the nile should be difficult, but the game engine may not be capable of realising this.

The graphical campaign map roads - as opposed to the abstract notion of a wider network crossing the country - are already central to strategy, since they represent trade-routes and the default movement path for armies. I've often hampered an enemies income by sending small cavalry detachments into the trade hubs of their empire and blocking roads. It's almost like a land blockade, and highly effective. Ambushes are best laid beside roads, too.

but the movement bonus applies to the whole province.
    hmm? I'm pretty sure that armies march much faster on These main roads than through countryside. There probably is a General boost to Speed in the province but afterall building "roads" in a province does not only mean to build the big ones.

Anyway: could one not mark "desert" as difficult Terrain? Thus adding a movement malus just like in forests, the engine already recognizes desert as destinct Terrain by assigning some Units a Bonus to fighting in deserts. Also Generals do suffer from prolonged "beach stay".
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

these boni or mali only work for the battlemap as far as I know.

In N:TW it seemingly is possible to attach waypoints to streets. Maybe not in M2TW.
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    hmm? I'm pretty sure that armies march much faster on These main roads than through countryside. There probably is a General boost to Speed in the province but afterall building "roads" in a province does not only mean to build the big ones.

Anyway: could one not mark "desert" as difficult Terrain? Thus adding a movement malus just like in forests, the engine already recognizes desert as destinct Terrain by assigning some Units a Bonus to fighting in deserts. Also Generals do suffer from prolonged "beach stay".
    Correct. Road movement bonus is tied to the graphical road on the map. I don't know it the degree of bonus that provides is modable though.

As to making desert impassable, I believe that is possible.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

In my beliefs EB 1 movement points should've been a little higher over all. I Hope EB2 has a little more movement points out of the box.
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM