Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rome 2: A constructive wishlist

Default Re: Rome 2: A constructive wishlist

- should be able to build walls around any settlement. so you just can't spam them make the ability to build walls only in regions where you've managed to build the highest level of city center building (high squalor and food penalty's)
    - minimal battle UI please!!
    - as mentioned above I can't believe CA missed the boat on strategic resources...I mean come on we had it in shogun2...I thought they would have expanded on it not got rid of it.
    - Yes command stars on camp map!
    Last edited by sassbarman; 10-06-2013 at 00:05.

As I said before BLOOD PACK!!!! but anyway

Having the ability to tell your units to use the ladders you've thrown on the enemies walls. My units tend to throw them up and then let go and walk through the gate my other forces have breached... Hello TW2 Im trying to do a pincer here........
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

Quote Originally Posted by ararax View Post
    Lets see.
    Military
    1. Have Hastati upgradable to Principes at 3 Chevrons, and have Principes upgradable to Triarii at 6 Chevrons.
    2. Have Veteran Grade Legions be upgrades of Normal Legions, not a seperate recruitable.
    3. Expand the Tech Tree to include later era tech like the Spatha. Let Barbarians finish out at Migration Era tech, and Romans finish out at late Roman Tech. (Greeks and Easterns move to a Heavy Armoured Horse Archer tech level aka Parthian Byzantine)
    4. Add caps for Elite unit Types as a player handcuff. There is no reason i should be able to field 15 Legions of Praetorians.
    5. Add regional Legions. At the moment it is best to recruit all army units in one specced out region. If you could recruit regional legions (aka Gallic Legions having Better Charge, Italia Legions having better moral, Spanish Legions having better attack, Illyrian Legions having better Pilum Range) there might be a reason to build a barracks somewhere other than Italy.

Campaign
    1. Expand the tech tree. I want hundreds of Techs that I can research, not a 60ish I want to be able to pick where and how I research, if I want to develop a superior military at the expense of Civilian then I should be allowed to.
    2. Family Tree
    3. 2-4 TPY with seasons.
    4. Squalor: Farms should not give Squalor, factories should.
    5. Food: Temples shouldnt eat 2 farms worth of food. They just shouldnt.
    6. AI Recruitment AI should recruit by job than priority. They should look to recruit 5 line infantry. When they recruit that they should get 2 ranged and 2 horse as priority after that they should look for more line infantry. This would vary by culture/Faction. As it is now, it buys as many stats per coin as it can. Which leads to slinger armies.

Battle
    1. Get rid of Blobbing. Roman/Greek/Eastern Units should keep formation.
    2. Guard mode Toggle. If I want the units to stay and hold formation they should, if I want them to attack anything in range they should.
    3. Defensive Pilum. Units with Javelins should have a fire at will button.
    4. AI can't calculate battles very well. It thinks that my half stack of boosted Praetorians (~150 Attack 100+ Armour ~150 Moral) would be destroyed by 2 stacks of Levy Spearmen. I can just faceroll charge into them and my PGs will eat them alive in an instant.
    5. Celtic Longswords are only 5 AP Damage (the Minimum) Should be at least 10 due to the blunt force of those weapons alone.
    6. Magic abilities like Use the Whip or Killing Spree. (I would like more realistic abilities like Rotate, where Fresh units get swapped in to the front line.)
    7. Gladiators being super cheap and vicious
    8. When taking a minor settlement, the battle should be fought outside of the settlement, the winner then takes the settlement.

Bugs
    Clubs do 5 Damage (and 10 AP) this totally nerfs bloodsworn, should be upgraded to at least 15-25 normal damage.
    Slingers use a really good shield which gives them amazing Defensive stats (For such a cheap unit) They get spammed. Please eliminate this advantage.
    If only CA could have an eye on this thread from time to time !

3,4 small things :

_ when moving units with the directional keys, it would be nice if they were not running by default. Pikemen always loose their phalanx formation this way.
    _ see the general's name in the left panel for every enemy stack (doesn't mean I want to see their composition, just the general's name, for narrative purpose).
    _ see IA faction's diplomatic relations between each others like in Shogun 2. *
    _ accelerate fast forward speed (at least 2x)
    _ make general's assassination more difficult for agents

EDIT : * YES ! Patch 5 did it !
    Last edited by Alcibiade; 10-23-2013 at 12:55.

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

A good comprehensive list here! Only comment is that it would be more use to CA, but more demanding to mods and posters, if each suggestion were updated after each new build - to say whether addressed, partially or not at all.

Anyhow, something micro that really irked me and could eba dded to the list is...
    - The size of the roman ballista and particularly the giant ballista. The normal ballista model is so large it already looks silly. The Giant ballista (at least it's true to the name) is simply absurd - it defies credibility. The model itself looks pretty lazy, on its flat "door frame" chassis, and the giant variant is a very lazy scaled up version of the normal ballista (including washers larger than men). Compared to the (beautiful) scorpion and onager models, these units look farcical and undermine the credibility of the game - a real immersion breaker. They look sloppy and lazy. A quick fix would be to simply scale them down drasticaly.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Make the AI which leads the civil war stacks to go and conquer your biggest provinces ASAP. Like Athens figured out that after I kicked it out of greece that it must go and take Lybia from me since that's where the money and grain is. It's very disappointing to see the mighty civil war armies dying not by your careful tactical maneuvaring and use of agents, but by virute of a lack of food.

Split the wonders into two categories:

1 Major wonders of the world: these should be the 7 classial wonders IMO. They should give a video when you capture them like in Rome 1.
    2. Minor wonders, such as Mount Olympus.

Currently the wonders are all mixed up and quite underwhelming (one doesn't even notice them unless they look closely at the bottom left or naturally, on the campaign map)

The player shold be able to construct more major wonders and should get an appropriate celebration video. It's not every day we get to make the Colosseum or the Pantheon.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Member thankful for this post:

Member Member Mumu Champion Prodigal's Avatar

Very possibly a repost, but need to vent a little.

When in Fortification stance, you get one single camp in a turn. That's it.

During a civil war, with two stacks in Fortify stance, not near each other, both were attacked multiple times, I had one camp the first time the first stack was attacked only. Looks, and smells, like a bug.

So pwetty please, could that one get fixed? There, that's my wish.

The ability to mass select and upgrade troops armor and weapons. Im getting arthritis doing it one at a time
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

Members thankful for this post (3):

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A way for units to disengage combat more efficiently. It is annoying telling my horseriders to pull back, only for them to re-engage because one of them is surrounded by enemy units. They should just run and leave them behind to die, instead of constantly knotting themselves up.

In the same vein, if I am telling my unit of cavalry to run past a group of enemies, they should just run past, instead of getting hold up because one guy got hit by a spear.
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-28-2013 at 20:00.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I remember using that to my advantage in older games. If I could just get one guy in a cavalry unit to engage it would stop the entire unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    A way for units to disengage combat more efficiently. It is annoying telling my horseriders to pull back, only for them to re-engage because one of them is surrounded by enemy units. They should just run and leave them behind to die, instead of constantly knotting themselves up.

In the same vein, if I am telling my unit of cavalry to run past a group of enemies, they should just run past, instead of getting hold up because one guy got hit by a spear.
    They did this already in patch 4 I think, but it seems it's still not enough as it still happens to me too.

Another small wish, but that could change a lot to the ambiance in game in my opinion :
    _ to separate ambiant sounds (waves on the shore, birds in the forest, etc...) from the voices of the character (ready to fight, etc...). Those last one are really loud and innoportune when the former grantly had to te feeling. Especially since the music is boring.

Removed things that were fixed and things that were erroneously reported as broken by players who didn't know how certain mechanics work (some suggestions were done literally days after game launch when we were all new to RII)

- Add a list of Army/Fleet Tradition for better overview

As this is now, i can't make head or tail of this Traditions

I would like an option to change religion as in TW Atilla.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    I would like an option to change religion as in TW Atilla.
    Im really looking forward to the Ancient Empires mod for Attila which basically puts Rome 2 into Attila from what I can tell. Apparently they have a major release coming at the end of the month so we will see how that goes.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234