Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 4

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: Battlefield 4

The Beta runs for two weeks btw, for those who are interested, so plenty of time to play.

Only one map though.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I'm sure there are people who already have it memorized so I can be one shotted halfway across the map. It's the reason I didn't like MP shooters like that.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    The Beta runs for two weeks btw, for those who are interested, so plenty of time to play.

Only one map though.
    So, when does it open again, tomm? We'll expect an update on first impressions!

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I dont get very good performance, only about 20 fps on high. I like the new menu, a lot more fluid in design.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

This game does actually not interest me in the slightest after what happened with BF3 and I really used to like Battlefield.

Member thankful for this post:

Vuk 

So, any thoughts on the Beta?

Save for the optimisation issues and low fps (it's a Beta), I find it an improvement over BF3. Gives off a nice BF2 feeling as well.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I lowered my settings to medium and tinkered around with the settings so now gameplay is pretty much smooth now. Still only get about 25 fps, but its playable. My main annoyance right now is that ammo packs dont resupply heavy weapons and its hard to tell exactly where your sniper shot lands and make corrections if its over a long distance. Thats it for now. And tanks are sort of harder to control than in BF3, but I havent played it in 4-5 months so that might be it.

Though overall its fun, dont think Im going to buy it for at least a year, but Im enjoying the beta. Combat is fluid, the atmosphere is nice and the weapons have a nice feel to them.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 10-03-2013 at 16:25.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

It was quite weird for my system since I got a better playing experience on Medium rather than Low, which should be the other way around.

It took me a while to figure out the ammo packs thing, but I saw ammo boxes as well which you need to unlock.

Proud

Been to:

I'm interested specifically in hearing how well they managed to pull off the commander implementation. If you get a chance to play that circle back and let us know what you think of it, I always thought that done right that would prove a rather cool additional element into the mix, and perhaps if handled by the right players provide some much needed tactical and strategic sense to what otherwise often looks a bit like a bunch of solo operators running around a chaotic battlefield.
    Last edited by easytarget; 10-04-2013 at 02:27.

As far as I can tell, commander mode isnt available for the beta. Which is a huge shame in my opinion.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I'm pretty impressed with the closed beta so far. I'm actually amazed my comp can run bf4 maxed out at 1980 x 1080 just like bf3. I'm really liking the new knife animations and parachute mechanics.

Beta is now available for everyone

Proud

Been to:

Iceman908 is name on Bf4... feel free to add me guys!

After numerous matches I am forced to put down this beta until they patch it for better optimization for PC. Initially it was smooth, but that might have been the initial change from totally unplayable to somewhat playable.

Whatever it was, performance took a nosedive for some reason. Not sure. Other games run fine, but the stuttering plus the insane loading times just makes this unplayable.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 10-06-2013 at 05:49.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    After numerous matches I am forced to put down this beta until they patch it for better optimization for PC. Initially it was smooth, but that might have been the initial change from totally unplayable to somewhat playable.

Whatever it was, performance took a nosedive for some reason. Not sure. Other games run fine, but the stuttering plus the insane loading times just makes this unplayable.
    I don't think it's your PC. There are random lag spikes that everyone in the server experience. One minute it will be running flawlessly and the next minute I'll be rubber banding.

Supposedly they patched the beta so it will run better so I updated but I can barely see a difference. Oh well.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Beta has been over on the 15th of October, pretty much two weeks left until the full release of BF4.

Quite curious to see how it works out.

Proud

Been to:

Well, what's the verdict so far?

I believe the release date isnt for another week or so.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Oh, hum, carry on.

Any impressions? It got released today.

Proud

Been to:

Must be too busy playing it to report back, haha.

Course this place isn't exactly what I'd call a hotbed of FPS players either...

As I mentioned before, I dont have the game but from reading the BF4 subreddit, players have about a 50% chance of being dropped from a server, still very buggy, commander mode is missing a slew of features that was there in previous BF games, basically a garbled mess. Which is generally what all BF games are at the start. Ill come back in a year and see whats changed.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Some dude called OneCheesyMofo has a real nice YouTube channel focused on BF4, have a look in case you want to see how the game is.

Proud

Been to:

Looks just like BF3 to me. Thanks for circling back to post it though, always interesting to see even if I have no plans to play it (if/when EA pulls their head out and stops forcing the use of Origin, then, maybe).
    Last edited by easytarget; 06-04-2014 at 00:37. Reason: because the host of this website is comically bad resulting in double posts even inside the same post

You might want to see this - watch it in 4K, it looks superb.

Proud

Been to:

I think you misunderstand, I thought BF3 looked good too. Eye candy doesn't impress me.

In any given hour of BF, 90% of it I will find myself either in a completely uneven game because EA has their head so far up their asses they can't be bothered to learn how to team balance (something we routinely did rather easily going on 20 years ago playing Q2 clan matches), or I'm on a side with a wide assortment of mental defective solo artists who can't be bothered to play a team game as a team game, and then I'm out.

Pretty can't change gaming experience. It does highlight how easily modern players are fooled into playing a medicare game if they are fed pretty pictures.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    You might want to see this - watch it in 4K, it looks superb.
    Common-Experience would be walking around the corner and get shot. Never seen anyone play like that in general unless it is a singleplayer game. Definitely looks more engaging than Call of Duty though.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

On the whole, BF4 is an upgraded BF3, on all aspects. Sure, you do get a lot of uneven games (my win rate is pretty much 1.00, so for every game I win the next one I lose), but that shouldn't dampen the enjoyment too much.

There are a ton of solo players who don't team play - I'm mostly a team player, I revive, supply, heal, I'm more focused on providing support. Ironically I get top 10 almost every time because of the points I score, rather than kpd.

Proud

Been to:

New DLC came out for BF4, called Dragon's Teeth, for those of you still interested in the game.

Proud

Been to:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast