Thread: How to shut-up Generals and other Stratmap entities?

Question How to shut-up Generals and other Stratmap entities?

Hello everyone

Can anyone please advice me on how to 'silent' generals, diplomats, assassins and spies for certain culture (HUN in this case) ? I also would like to know where you are changing General voices for a culture/faction, because it definitely doesn't work in export_descr_unit - the moment a named character from campaign is add to the unit, it changes the unit voice over back to the general (which i cannot get to change). Also descr_character doesn't have any option for this, and neither the actual models in - descr_model_battle and descr_model_strat.

I already tried to go through - export_descr_sounds_prebattle, export_descr_sounds_soldier_voice, (here i assigned a separate culture list - with own voice for class General_1 - which doesn't have any effect at all), export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice (i removed HUN from here, again it has no effect and they still have voices on strategic map, i also tried to create empty entities - again no success), export_descr_sounds_units_battle_events (this is advisor) , export_descr_sounds_units_voice (again i created a separate Culture Hun, with own class General_1 - without any effect )

I used original BI (from gold edition) as base, and went on from there. I actually want to first silence them and then add own sounds, but none of this .txt files seems to have any effect, no matter what i do. Also there is a sound folder (from BI), with files - bi.dat, bi.idx, events.dat and events.idx - but when i remove it i get error within ambient sound and something about Indian Elephants missing, so i am not sure if i should go ahead and remove it (if its overwriting some .txt files?)

Any help in this would be appreciated, thanks.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Re: How to shut-up Generals and other Stratmap entities?

Hi Balgeron, this is a question for modders, so maybe posting it in the EB section might get you the answer. I know sounds can be changed because the Mongols in Sainless Steel were given the Muslim sound pack, and TATW has very different sounding agents as well.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Default Re: How to shut-up Generals and other Stratmap entities?

You right, Myth. Sorry about that, i just noticed that forum for modding too late :-s.

Anyway i manage to get it done - indeed it were those files in Sound folder (bi.dat, bi.idx, events.dat and events.idx - removing them allows you to overwrite the sound of original BI). So if you want you can lock this up.