Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: State of the Mod Address, Fall 2013: We're Almost There

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Default Re: State of the Mod Address, Fall 2013: We're Almost There

How goes it?

Just checking in about once a week to see how things are going...

btw:
    what about pre release announcements?

I mean, will the mod be anounced like a week before it's released or will you just surprise us? Normally I would not care, but I'm still on the verge of buying a new PC and the EB release would certainly be a good reason to finaly get it :D but imagine the horror: EB is released and poor Ca Putt can't play it because he did not get his new pc yet D: we would not want that to happen^^
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

It won't drop unannounced from the skies, i assure you! There's still a number of things on our "must-do" list and a far larger group of "we really should do's". The whole process of figuring out how to package this thing up and distribute it and install it without causing nightmares for the fans is a pretty big project all in itself, and that isn't ready yet either. So we are still whacking away, and you will be grateful for the delays - every day that passes, new content goes in and game play improves.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    So we are still whacking away, and you will be grateful for the delays - every day that passes, new content goes in and game play improves.
    That's what they said about Duke Nukem Forever....j/K ;)
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

Member thankful for this post:

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaertecken View Post
    That's what they said about Duke Nukem Forever....j/K ;)

How dare you sir!

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Somnorum View Post
    At the risk of universal opprobrium, I'll pose an old question: when's this damn thing gonna be released? I'm not asking for an exact date, I'm asking for a rough estimate. If the EB Twitter is any indication, most of the major bugs have been ironed out and the game is almost finished. Assuming that the current rate of development continues, when can we expect a release? In a month? Sometime in summer?

Don't take this as ingratitude. For the modders that have devoted months and years of their life to making EBII happen, I thank you from the depths of my admittedly shallow heart. I appreciate your sacrifice and dedication, and I'm not trying to be impatient. I just want to know if I should get excited yet. I understand if you can't give a straight answer to the question. But given the vague parameters, I believe you should be able to.
    Here's the thing. We have ironed out the horrific bugs that caused the game to CTD and resolved others that severely hampered playability. What we are still working on are the MULTITUDE of factors that combine to make the game interesting - or not. Things like recruitment, the economy, AI faction survivability, and a host of related, complex interactions, could not be tested and addressed until the worst of the stability issues had been resolved. The good news is, we are there. The bad news is, those are major issues, and none of them are subject to quick fixes.

When the original announcement was made last fall, there was a feeling that the mod had been in process for far too long, and it was better to release an alpha than to just keep moseying along forever. But since then we have made quantum leaps in many areas, and have a deeper team working in a larger number of areas. That has allowed us to "raise the bar". Rather than dropping a half finished, barely playable mod on those who've long awaited it, the goal is to deliver a product that is historically rich in detail AND interesting and exciting to play.

We are also painfully aware of the Total War community's reaction to the playability issues affecting R2TW. For us to do the same thing to our fans? That would be unconscionable. So when will it be released? Hard to say. This year absolutely. In the next few months, probably not. There truly are too many variables at play to say any more than that. You can be confident however, that a large team is working every single day to get this done. It will be worth the wait.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Members thankful for this post (17):

+ Show/Hide List

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

You, the staff, have been working off your backsides for 7 years (I think the first announcement of an EB II actually being worked on was in spring 2007).
    You did so despite all the obstacles real life or hardcoded limits threw at you.
    We, the drooling fans, have been waiting - more or less patient - for the same time.

And I honestly think that neither you nor we will die if the game (I'm deliberately avoiding the term "mod", for obvious reasons) is delayed for some months more.
    Suffering may happen (more serious at your than at our end, as I suppose), but there are no lives in danger from any such delay, as far as I'm aware.

In other words: take your time. I expect the game to keep me busy for several years at least. Probably it will - for me - be the ultimate strategy game, replacing my alltime favourite Civilization II.

What are a few more months (or even one or two years?) of waiting compared to that perspective? Nothing, seriously.
    To quote you: "It's done when it's done."
    To quote me: "Whenever EB II is ready, I'll be here to appreciate it." And I'm pretty sure there are many others who feel the same.
    Last edited by Shadowwalker; 02-21-2014 at 19:52. Reason: fixing various typos
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

Members thankful for this post (12):

+ Show/Hide List

Sounds great actually!

And I can agree with Shadowwalker, If it takes the time then take the time, Rome 2 has shown how it's not done, your move :D

quantum leaps
    you know that that actually is an euphemism ;)
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

To add to Kull's post, you guys should also know that there have been many things that we want to change or include, but that the team has democratically elected to be for a second release. We are aware of feature creep and have been limiting it.

Snip
    Thanks for the honest answer. Although I'm sorta disappointed that the mod isn't coming out in the next month or so (especially since I was expecting it sometime in early 2014), I'm content that the extra time for development will be spent improving the game. And compared to seven years, a few more months isn't that much time anyway.

So, what's mostly left is game balancing and adding shiny features, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Somnorum View Post
    Thanks for the honest answer. Although I'm sorta disappointed that the mod isn't coming out in the next month or so (especially since I was expecting it sometime in early 2014), I'm content that the extra time for development will be spent improving the game. And compared to seven years, a few more months isn't that much time anyway.

So, what's mostly left is game balancing and adding shiny features, then?
    The modding group is working pretty closely with the Beta Testing team (and we have a FANTASTIC group who are all active and contributing - just a huge plus) to identify problem areas with game balance/playability. There is a LOT to that, because there is so much interaction among all the elements that comprise EB2, so it can get pretty complicated. The good thing from the fans perspective is that allows the artists to spend more time adding "polish" and likewise, the historians have time to add to the immense amount of historical text that is going to accompany this mod. There is so much to love about EB2, but I'm in awe at the incredible ability of our historians to immerse you in all the cultures of this period.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

my only regreat about the entire waiting time is that due to shortage of time and lack of usefull skills i was not able to contribute and therefore if i can´t help i don´t think i can ever have the morals to put into question those that work hard to furfill something that i hope will bring me much joy

Quote Originally Posted by abou View Post
    To add to Kull's post, you guys should also know that there have been many things that we want to change or include, but that the team has democratically elected to be for a second release. We are aware of feature creep and have been limiting it.
    Yeh here that guys! We're gonna get some creepy features in EB2!

Werewolves?
    Vampires?
    Zombies?

Kull,

From my point of view, the longer the team takes in getting AI faction play balance right, the better.

I never finished a campaign in EB1 due to frustration with AI factions like Seleukia and Ptolemies becoming uber-powerful with stacks of elite units while I was trying to play a slow, role-playing campaign on Medium. My EB1 experience is one of playing the first 50 years of a campaign with all the various factions, then starting again - the game only remained 'historically balanced' (but still interesting and challenging) for me in the early years.

So please take your time and beta-test to the max with long test campaigns! After 6 years of waiting, what's 6 months more?

Members thankful for this post (5):

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Marcellus Scato View Post
    Kull,

So please take your time and beta-test to the max with long test campaigns! After 6 years of waiting, what's 6 months more?
    This sums up my thoughts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    Yeh here that guys! We're gonna get some creepy features in EB2!

Werewolves?
    Vampires?
    Zombies?
    My personal guess is flaming pigs to be honest

Anyway, i can only concur with shadowwalker, i'll be patiently waiting and can only appreciate all the great work you guys have been doing

Quote Originally Posted by TylerX5 View Post
    Are we there yet?
    Don't make me turn this chariot around!
    "The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." -Tucholsky

Members thankful for this post (4):

(>^_^;)> move it! Member Hotseat_User's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RAWROMNOM View Post
    Don't make me turn this chariot around!
    hehehe. this made my day. thank you, sire!
    orationes tuas ego laudare soleo, imitari neque possim, si velim, nec velim fortasse, si possim. [M. T. C.]

7 years? I can't believe it's been that long, and I'll admit that when they announced R2 that I thought it may be abandoned, I'm glad I was wrong.
    Really looking forward to this, more than any game coming, it's really unbelievable the dedication to this mod.

Klibanophoros Ton Rhomaioktono Member Duguntz's Avatar

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH... This announcement is more than enough to make Duguntz come back to life! How long did I waited to hear (mostly read) this new, probably like everybody else in this community! I'm drooling with excitement, sharpening my sword, blunting my clubs and gettin painted all black! The sooner we spill blood, the better! congrats for you, for your hard work and your dedication!
    Last edited by Duguntz; 03-04-2014 at 12:25.
    Opinions are like bacteries : we all have, but it's better to keep them for ourself... (By me!)

generously given by Nachtmeister
    generously given by Macilrille for Sweboz combat tactics
    Generously given by Brennus

So when will it be released? Hard to say. This year absolutely. In the next few months, probably not.
    Well then, how about December 2014? It would make a fine christmas present.

Quote Originally Posted by Olek View Post
    7 years? I can't believe it's been that long, and I'll admit that when they announced R2 that I thought it may be abandoned, I'm glad I was wrong.
    Really looking forward to this, more than any game coming, it's really unbelievable the dedication to this mod.
    I still laugh when I remember me thinking "Well, Rome 2 will blow everything out of the water, those screens and gameplay videos look so awesome"... Now people are eagerly waiting for EB2, like a shining light in this world of useless DLC

Anyway, I can't wait to play this, and I salivate every time I check your Twitter! Beta test the out of it!
    Last edited by TiagoJRToledo; 03-05-2014 at 06:09.

"My advice to you is: get married. If you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher."

Members thankful for this post (3):

HopeLess From Humanity a World Member Empire*Of*Media's Avatar

if EB II be released i will abandon Rome II

Quote Originally Posted by KurdishSpartakus View Post
    I'll keep it, just as a reminder of darker times, times that are nearly over...

Personally I already left R2. I reallly prefer to play M2TW mods like IB2 or just enjoy the early spring we have in western europe atm than give anymore of my time this non-immersive flat piece of software.

And dreaminfg while watching at the fantastic screenshots of EB2 on twitter.
    Last edited by Alcibiade; 03-10-2014 at 21:56.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

When the original announcement was made last fall, there was a feeling that the mod had been in process for far too long, and it was better to release an alpha than to just keep moseying along forever. But since then we have made quantum leaps in many areas, and have a deeper team working in a larger number of areas. That has allowed us to "raise the bar". Rather than dropping a half finished, barely playable mod on those who've long awaited it, the goal is to deliver a product that is historically rich in detail AND interesting and exciting to play.
    Scope creep (also called requirement creep and feature creep) in project management refers to uncontrolled changes or continuous growth in a project's scope. This can occur when the scope of a project is not properly defined, documented, or controlled. One of the many downsides of scope creep is that it delays release of the product.

Despite the fact that this is clear evidence of scope creep, it's fine. This is volunteer work and I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Actually, that it is lie, that stuff does matter. Even volunteer projects should be managed well, but I've got a really nicely modded version of EB to play that is tweaked just to my liking, and I am not sure the first releases of EBII can touch it.
    Last edited by fallen851; 03-10-2014 at 19:25.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Quote Originally Posted by fallen851 View Post
    Scope creep (also called requirement creep and feature creep) in project management refers to uncontrolled changes or continuous growth in a project's scope. This can occur when the scope of a project is not properly defined, documented, or controlled. One of the many downsides of scope creep is that it delays release of the product.

Despite the fact that this is clear evidence of scope creep, it's fine. This is volunteer work and I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Actually, that it is lie, that stuff does matter. Even volunteer projects should be managed well, but I've got a really nicely modded version of EB to play that is tweaked just to my liking, and I am not sure the first releases of EBII can touch it.
    Scope creep is when you add things to a project that were never part of the original plan. There's nothing we are doing now that wasn't intended all along. The difference is that circumstances changed, and we were able to get the mod to a point where it was possible to do a lot more for the first release. Keep in mind that the mod had many bugs which had been there from the beginning, and one reason for the "early release" idea was to get more eyeballs on the problems - that need no longer exists.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

HopeLess From Humanity a World Member Empire*Of*Media's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bovarius View Post
    I'll keep it, just as a reminder of darker times, times that are nearly over...
    lol indeed yes. but i just like Animations of Rome II. and i think its the only Advantage and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiade View Post
    Personally I already left R2. I reallly prefer to play M2TW mods like IB2 or just enjoy the early spring we have in western europe atm than give anymore of my time this non-immersive flat piece of software.

And dreaminfg while watching at the fantastic screenshots of EB2 on twitter.
    yes indeed. i played Rome I for more than 9 years, and still i love playing it online and custom battles. and thats because of Conquering everywhere so many times! but still tired of it generally!

i personally love the gameplay of Rome I and a bit of Med2 and Empire & Napoleon. the Shogun II anything except the gameplay its exactly like Rome II. but there's something you want to play it sometimes !!

its strange people never left Rome I & Med2!! someone made a thread in totalwar.com's forum that say goodbye to Rome I. well he was attacked by so many Rome I lovers including me!! hehe !

i think only Rome I and Med2 will be somehow Immortal!! and the other are just released and should be abandoned.

but EB is something else.

besides, i couldnt run IB! dont know why! when i click on CAMPAIGN button it says "select a faction from the list" sadly.....

anyway...... i think there is something in this world that everything good is From Past and its First! its not just about Games but Movies Musics memories and..............dont you agree?!
    Last edited by Empire*Of*Media; 03-13-2014 at 16:58.

anyway...... i think there is something in this world that everything good is From Past and its First! its not just about Games but Movies Musics memories and..............dont you agree?!
    Not just nostalgia. The present, even allowing for a certain fuzzyness, is much smaller than the past. Anything good in the present soon joins the ever increasing past.
    The present just can't keep anything. Which might be why it seems to be sulking so much of the time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast