Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini guide for Rome 2 Total War: Pikemen vs. Hoplites

Default Re: Mini guide for Rome 2 Total War: Pikemen vs. Hoplites

Mentioned in separate thread, but seemed worthy to add to this stickied resource. Not directly related to "pike vs hoplite" but a pike unit observation.

I've noticed that when one uses a pike unit as general's bodyguard, the general's position changes with formation. In non-phalanx mode, general is front rank, center; when engaging in melee, the general moves back a rank or two, but is still pretty close to the front. When one puts this pike unit into phalanx formation, however, the general moves to the back rank and hunkers down low. Superb protection for the general. Obviously loses mobility this way, but if one places the phalanx near center of army and the guy has a decent radius, not necessarily a huge problem.

Just thought that might be a good info tidbit for anyone out there has been frustrated with losing a lot of generals in cav or other units. I went on a string of general deaths in Pontus campaign, then started putting them out there with Bronze Shield Pike guards, and it pretty much stopped. Maybe a lucky missile hit now and then, but pretty rare. And the protection is good enough that one can use the guard in the thick of fighting, rather than have to keep a good unit back out of the fray out of concern for losing the boss.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bramborough View Post
    Mentioned in separate thread, but seemed worthy to add to this stickied resource. Not directly related to "pike vs hoplite" but a pike unit observation.

I've noticed that when one uses a pike unit as general's bodyguard, the general's position changes with formation. In non-phalanx mode, general is front rank, center; when engaging in melee, the general moves back a rank or two, but is still pretty close to the front. When one puts this pike unit into phalanx formation, however, the general moves to the back rank and hunkers down low. Superb protection for the general. Obviously loses mobility this way, but if one places the phalanx near center of army and the guy has a decent radius, not necessarily a huge problem.

Just thought that might be a good info tidbit for anyone out there has been frustrated with losing a lot of generals in cav or other units. I went on a string of general deaths in Pontus campaign, then started putting them out there with Bronze Shield Pike guards, and it pretty much stopped. Maybe a lucky missile hit now and then, but pretty rare. And the protection is good enough that one can use the guard in the thick of fighting, rather than have to keep a good unit back out of the fray out of concern for losing the boss.
    Just beware that the AI tends to focus their missiles on the gen. I've lost a few pike generals this way. So far, have been quite lucky with cavalry generals whom I use almost exclusively in missile/router chasing role during the battle.

Attacking with hoplites in city assaults

Unrelated, lately I have started to use AI control while attacking city breaches with hoplites (useful in the early game if playing a Hellenistic faction). I put 3-4 units in a group and give the control to the AI. This becomes the spear-head of my assault. I follow up with another group of 4 under my control and exploit any breaches in enemy lines that result from the first wave. The AI control for the first group is good because then, in the heat of the fight, you do not need to worry about who of those first guys is fighting and who is just standing getting pelted by the AI skirmishers.
    Last edited by Slaists; 11-12-2013 at 19:57.

That sounds like a pretty good idea for those snarky breach/gate battles where the camera view angle seems to be a tougher opponent than the enemy. Will give this a try. Seems like it would work with decent melee infantry as well, for other non-Hellene factions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12