Thread: ethnicities

Default ethnicities

i loved the eb concept of ethnicities but i didnt like the fact that it wasnt flexible.
    for example ptolemies can spawn generals with jew ethnicity. if macedon or another faction capture jerusalem it wont have any generals with that ethnicity (unless i am mistaken) and that spoils the game

Default Re: ethnicities

I may be mistaken, but I think this has changed in EBII.

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Recent studies in ethnicity within anthropology and archaeology have shown ethnicity to be a dynamic concept, a social construct which is self replicating and subject to constant change, alteration and interpretation. The RTW and M2TW engines, however, are rigid and can only represent so much. Thus, as with so much of EB, ethnicities are a compromise.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    Recent studies in ethnicity within anthropology and archaeology have shown ethnicity to be a dynamic concept, a social construct which is self replicating and subject to constant change, alteration and interpretation. The RTW and M2TW engines, however, are rigid and can only represent so much. Thus, as with so much of EB, ethnicities are a compromise.
    cant you make ethnicities city spesific . to elimanate the problem of playing as koinon helleon conquering persia and have a local tyronos being greek
    Last edited by clone; 10-31-2013 at 16:38.

There is only a limited number of ethnicities per Faction. that's the Problem

And believe me some fellows here might remember my endless complaining about my KH Client ruler in Macedon(or italy or iberia) being of pontian orgin.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    There is only a limited number of ethnicities per Faction. that's the Problem

And believe me some fellows here might remember my endless complaining about my KH Client ruler in Macedon(or italy or iberia) being of pontian orgin.
    I complained endlessly when I found out a Syrian had become Tyrant of Sparta.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Why are all these instances so strange? On one hand certain factions historically interacted with ethnicities they encountered and individuals of those ethnicities could rise to some position of power (Galatians in the pontic kingdom, Greeks in the Roman empire). On the other hand certain ethnicities were brutally suppressed and it is perhaps unlikely that upward mobility was possible (Jews in the Ptolemaic and Seleucid kingdoms). But in my opinion it cannot be ruled out. Furthermore the above examples, which are probably acceptable to most, have proximity in common. There were Gauls close to the Pontic power center and Greeks near the Roman power center. But there is also the example of a satrap of Bactrian descent starting a dynasty in Pontus within the Persian Empire. So why not? A pontic client ruler for the KH in Macedon. And a Syrian tyrant of Sparta... sure, much less likely, but hardly impossible. I found these engine-generated twist of EB fate very interesting and entertaining. And after all not altogether unacceptable.
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Completed EB Campaigns on VH/M: ALL... now working for EBII!

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kdrakak View Post
    Why are all these instances so strange? On one hand certain factions historically interacted with ethnicities they encountered and individuals of those ethnicities could rise to some position of power (Galatians in the pontic kingdom, Greeks in the Roman empire). On the other hand certain ethnicities were brutally suppressed and it is perhaps unlikely that upward mobility was possible (Jews in the Ptolemaic and Seleucid kingdoms). But in my opinion it cannot be ruled out.
    Surpressed with no possibility of upward mobility? Let us not forget that it was Antiochus IV's intention to make it possible for jews to actually do that, upon request from a body of Jerusalem's upper classes. Antiochus wanted to grant the city the status of Polis, granting its citizens all the carreer possibilities and favours possible at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Surpressed with no possibility of upward mobility? Let us not forget that it was Antiochus IV's intention to make it possible for jews to actually do that, upon request from a body of Jerusalem's upper classes. Antiochus wanted to grant the city the status of Polis, granting its citizens all the carreer possibilities and favours possible at the time.
    I think it was Antiochus siding with one of the two embattled factions in Jerusalem that led to the brutal suppression. And brutal suppression is brutal suppression. So perhaps his initial intentions stayed just that. Still I am not sure, as I am not thoroughly read on the subject.
    But that is beside the point. At any rate I stand corrected on that note (or not, it makes no difference). The point is when you have extended empires, especially in this part of the world, it's always a cultural (and political) crucible. Finding an alien ruling over a traditionally insulated province or city is not an impossibility.
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Completed EB Campaigns on VH/M: ALL... now working for EBII!