Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gladiator: Houses Collide - Sign-up & Discussion

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gladiator: Houses Collide - Sign-up & Discussion

Sorry, Zain, but I'll have to cancel.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

GMT +1
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by issaikhaan View Post
    Sorry, Zain, but I'll have to cancel.
    I'm sorry to see you go, I hope everything in RL is okay..

This game still has some time to go before we pull the trigger so if you find yourself willing and able again, check back with us.

The Legislator of Lol Member Stildawn's Avatar

GMT + 12 (New Zealand haha)

As far as my Org activity, I get PM's emails sent to my main email which also notifies me on my phone which I always have on me. So if you PM me I will get it pretty much the same time unless I am sleeping.

Actually being on the Org, I'd have it open in a tab while I am at work. Which is 8.30 to 5 my time :) but yeah if you need action PM will get my attention almost immediately.

Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

GMT + 1

I'm on GMT. I'm usually online from 9-5, but weekends not so much: sporadic at best. looking forward to getting stuck into this, by Belisama! ^^

It appears we share a time zone, Zain.

Can't wait to conquer this Ludus and command all of you dogs, onward to Rome! Let us conquer the great city!

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Just a quick update for all of you!

The game mechanics program that Stildawn has been working works like a charm! I'd say we are 70-75% done and will be ready for the kickoff date!

Looking forward to the arena by Iovantucarus!

As updated on the OP, this game will begin on December 18th due to my own workload over University finals. Hope that works for everyone else and we get some more people to swell our ranks!

Techie Rock Star Member crossroad's Avatar

The Houses of Avidius and Lucilius will become my stepping stool. My name shall be legendary throughout the Roman Empire!

!!! IN !!!
    This is my Signature. Just imagine it being a mind blowing axiom.

Techie Rock Star Member crossroad's Avatar

This is my Signature. Just imagine it being a mind blowing axiom.

Some additions to the OP...

Gameplay:

Chosen to follow the path of the money-maker? Plan to buy your freedom? Fight in Exhibition Matches. Though not always easy, these prove to be even more spectacle for the crowd, and pays even more. These fights will not result in an increase in rank, so if you wish to stay under the radar as a lowly veteranus, this is your path.

The typical Ludus had a large network of servants and slaves to attend their masters. Some never left the Dominus and the Domina’s side. Others did the running, delivering food to the gladiators in their cells and dealing with the merchant when he came from town. One of these servants is especially loyal to you all as gladiators, and has your best interest in mind. Beware though, you may ask him to do whatever you want, but he too has limited access to resources and if he’s caught doing something he shouldn’t be doing, he could be put to death, or worse. Use caution when seeking help from your Loyal Servant.

Discussion Phase (48-72 hours) – During this time, your PM’s from the previous phase will be taken into account and the results posted. It is recommended HIGHLY that as much relevant discussion takes place in thread as possible during this time. Why? There is a “Luck Factor” involved in this game that governs every event and all aspects of it. The “Luck Factor” will be determined directly by the amount of relevant discussion you posted. The player with the most discussion (gloating about character stats, debating fighting styles, plans/goals they have set, ideas on how to get ahead in game, etc…) will get the highest boost from the “Luck Factor”. More will be explained on the “Luck Factor” later and will be mentioned many times by the host. Also you may make a “Challenge” this is a public announcement that you wish to challenge any player in the Arena. That player then must respond with giving his acceptance/denial. Challenges won’t always be carried on into the Arena, the Dominus wasn’t always persuaded by his men, but everybody enjoys a good rivalry and to see them carried out.

Arena Phase (<24 hours) –A random number of selected gladiators from both Houses will be sent to the Arena where they will fight an equal or lesser opponent. You may publicly announce you wish to go to the Arena along with a specific challenger if you wish, sometimes this will be honored, and sometimes the Gods will not favor you. The matches that will be taking place in the Arena will be posted publicly in thread for the opportunity to make wagers with your fellow players. The majority of losers will be allowed to live but sometimes they will not, once dead a player has lost the game. If a player wishes to challenge a higher ranked player, they must do so during their Order Phase against the higher ranked gladiator of the same house. Also winning matches in the Arena will earn you Denarii which you can use as you see fit, more detail on that later.

Rules:
    6. All Arena challenges and wagers will be posted publicly, no private transactions will be allowed.

Outro:
    This game has no player cap, I can take in as many as are interested. Do keep in mind though that this game was designed to need your attention, although you can skate by without it, it is highly suggested that you sign up only if you foresee having enough time.

The nature of this game is quite unique, as gladiators in a House die, new ones must replace them. Therefore, there is NO sign-up deadline. You may join in any time, and there is no designated end of the game. It would potentially go on as long as people wish to play.

Time Remaining:

All of these additions have been added to the OP, when the game begins it will all be reorganized to make the most sense and simplified to get across all points without all of the extra commentary. I'm sure everything will fine-tune itself as the game progresses.

I'll resay this, It's important.

There is NO sign-up deadline, once the game begins, if you're new or you die, you can rejoin and restart your journey! Yes you'll be behind your fellow players but at least you'll get the chance to catch up!
    Last edited by Zain; 12-03-2013 at 01:09.

Just added a whole lot to the OP, some feedback would be great so I can clarify, answer questions, etc!

Very interesting.
    I would like to know details about stats. Especially, what is their meaning in fight

Quote Originally Posted by Jarema View Post
    Very interesting.
    I would like to know details about stats. Especially, what is their meaning in fight
    Each type of gladiator, which is covered in the OP, has Major and Minor stats. For example, the major stats for a Dimachaerus (Light armor, two swords) are Perception and Agility. So, Perception and Agility will be counted extra whenever that player fights.

The stats are compared between two opponents, their Major stats and Minor stats taken into consideration, and whoever has the highest points has the higher odds of winning.

A player with all 10 stats versus all 5 will have a much higher odds of winning than that same all 10 stat versus an all 9 stat.

Also, type advantage, height advantage, Battle Tactic bonus, Luck Factor, and God given Potential will work with you to attempt to give you the upper hand.

In my simulations, I've had a player with a 45% chance of winning take the victory, but it took him 9 rounds to do so.

On the other hand, I've had a player with a 93% chance of winning take the victory in only 1 round.

Hope this helps.

So, for example for Dimachaerus, there is no difference between Perception 4, Agility 6, and Agility 4, Perception 6?

Default Gladiator: Houses Collide - Sign-up & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Jarema View Post
    So, for example for Dimachaerus, there is no difference between Perception 4, Agility 6, and Agility 4, Perception 6?
    Essentially yes, for battle anyway, BUT if you attempt to escape and you need to run away, having a low agility will hinder you. That type of stat analysis isn't quantitative though, it's qualitative based on creativity and logic as well.

FAQ added to OP, "If a player wishes to challenge a higher ranked player, they must do so during the Discussion phase and fight him in the Arena." added to Arena explanation. Also fixed a stupid typo, there's probably more

Default Gladiator: Houses Collide - Sign-up & Discussion

Can't wait to start!

How does the height calculation work? Is it random?

Height is a bell curve, so taking those probabilities into consideration it's randomized three times and the tallest one is selected.

5'9" (175cm) is the average here in America so the majority of people will be 5'9"

But since it does it 3 times and selects the tallest, we'll probably have mostly taller gladiators.

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zain View Post
    Height is a bell curve, so taking those probabilities into consideration it's randomized three times and the tallest one is selected.

5'9" (175cm) is the average here in America so the majority of people will be 5'9"

But since it does it 3 times and selects the tallest, we'll probably have mostly taller gladiators.
    Shouldn't it be a tad smaller? Were the Romans not a bit shorter than we? (I seem to recall something like that from some book I read)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Feather View Post
    Shouldn't it be a tad smaller? Were the Romans not a bit shorter than we? (I seem to recall something like that from some book I read)
    Yes they were but really I want to be able to visualize and relate with them, although it may be historically inaccurate, having modern sized gladiators will make it easier to visualize.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Feather View Post
    Are you roman slave? I thought you were carried from germania or from the end of the empire... you are not a tiny roman.. are you?
    returning to the shadows.....

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riedquat View Post
    Are you roman slave? I thought you were carried from germania or from the end of the empire... you are not a tiny roman.. are you?
    I was born a Roman but couldn't pay my debts
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

We will kickoff tomorrow before the timer ends. I will open up a new thread for gameplay and this one will be closed. The first write-up will be posted and PMs will be sent to start character creation. Ready to rumble?!?

Members thankful for this post (2):

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Ah well, we can try it and see, in.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Official game and story threads have been posted, please refer to them now for all Gladiator: Houses Collide business.

Link to Game Thread
    Link to Story Thread

Request for the host:

Could you give us detailed description of the place we are living at?
    For example. do we sleep in one big room, or maybe in groups?
    How is the terrain of our living quarters isolated? Are there doors? Fences?
    Do we have any training facilities with fancy stuff, or we have to organize all equpmnent needed for training by ourselves?
    The more details you give us, the more detailed our actions may be

Good request, I will work on that for you as players.

Please ask any and all other questions in the game thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast