Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Pratia III

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pratia III

Elect: edse

1. Killing one to save five is the only way.
    2. Depends on the disease and what will happen if her life is saved. If saving her life means that she have to live the rest of her life in a bed etc then it's not worth it. If saving her life means she will be completely healed then stealing those medications could be an option. However, if the man steals and goes to prison for life does she remain faithful to him just like the man was to her.. I guess it's easier not to steal.
    3. Because why should he kill us? We just want to rest for now and move on later.

Elect: edse Yeah, what could possibly go wrong?

1. What is the moral choice, killing one man to save five, or allowing one man to live knowing it will result in the death of five others?
    Killing one to save five. It does depend on the circumstances, but in a general case where one doesn't know anything else, the less dead the better.
    2. A man’s wife is dying of a horrible disease, and a local doctor has a very expensive medication that will cure her. The man does not have the money, but without the medication his wife will die. He also knows that stealing the medication will result in his imprisonment, possibly for life. What course of action should he take?
    As Ibn-Khaldun said, if she will have a "good" life after she's cured he may steal. (Also if the medicine is horribly overpriced)
    3. Why should I let you all live?
    We are no threat to you.

Never actually signed up for this game, but sure I'll play.

Elect: Ishmael

1. Let the one man live, if he isn't going to be the one to kill the five others and hasn't done anything wrong, why should he die?
    Either that or just kill all six of them for simplicity.

2. The man should not steal. Who is to say there is not another person also needing the medicine, who has earned the money to pay for it.

3. You shouldn't.

Context!

For the first question is all good, but for the second we have a problem, we still use money? Mobilians dollars? Pesos? We are resurging as society, and the importance of our first answers is reflected in the third.

If we are on survival mode, the third answer will get all us killed, so are we an organized society/group or a mob? If I find a mob in my land I would shoot at them first and then ask questions, so these people giving us the questions at least have seen something good on us; I think we need to look at ourselves and try to find it before is to late.

So with that in mind, I change my answers:

1) Let the man chose, is his life and his burden, we are not qualified to make the choice, best we can do is relieve him the rest of his life and give justice to the deceased, whatever it takes.

2) A crime is a crime, for more understandable the motives of this man, if he steal he will pay prison time, this time will be decided by a court of his pairs.

3) We are trying to re-make an equalitarian (sp) society, a better democracy than what we lost, we are not a threat to anybody, we just expect to prosper in peace.

By the way, Michael! I think you need to know there is a guy here trying to mine your authority, he is named rickinator ;)
    returning to the shadows.....

I think what we have here is an intelligent malevolence, an enemy who has threatened us but has given us a chance to save our lives. If we don't answer to his satisfaction, all of us will die, so conclusively we must answer these questions morally and fully.

Let's prove we are worthy of life, and give them no reason to choose extermination over peace.

I think we need some answering around here.

1. Ever since old society collapsed there has not been any grand states, the individual must decide collectiviely. Therefore, i would ask other individuals the same question, thereby coming upon the answer after a long discussion.

2. The man should borrow the medicine, and give what in return he can. He should not go to prison if he deems the payment proper, so he should flee to the next area and assume a new identity once the wife heals enogh to leave.

3. We should not die, because we are valuable, work may not be scarce, but philosophers are lacking. We think, therefore we should live.

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    3. We should not die, because we are valuable, work may not be scarce, but philosophers are lacking. We think, therefore we should live.
    If I find philosophers living in a cave inside my property I kill them all... in any scenario. Luckily I don't have any cave in my property!

Actually, the best we could hand in is probably:

3. We are not philosophers.

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edse View Post

I bet the answer they'll give is : 3) Well then you are not alive either.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Well, we aren't! We are survivors, civilian, politics, soldiers, (if there is a philosopher, he better start doing something useful like gathering food!!) from the last pratian attack, we are mobilians (for the lack of geographical context I suppose we moved away from the pratians, right?) We are in the Democratic Republic of Mobile (Alabama? Paraguay? Cyprus? Angola?) and as mobilians we need to stick together before pratians come and kill everyone!

To the philosophers among us: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave read this and come with an understandable answer! then go and gather some food or clean the crapper from the back of the bloody cave! :P
    Last edited by Riedquat; 11-11-2013 at 21:30.

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Just a quick tally with timer:

Darth Feather: 3 (Riedquat, Darth Feather, Chief Pappy)
    edse: 3 (Ishmael, Ibn-Khaldun, edse)
    Ishmael: 1 (Ferret)
    rickinator09: 1 (rickinator09)

Non-voting: 6 (Lux, Makrell, dcmort93, BSmith, autolycus, crys)

All but dcmort93 and autolycus have seen their introductory PMs

Also tied votes will be settled via Random.org

Time Remaining:

Also discussion has been good, keep it up, but we're not having much actual collaboration, just a bunch of opinions thrown out at once.

vote darth feather

1. One life to save 5.
    2. Stealing shouldn't be an option because as a group of survivors we should band togther to earn the medicine.
    3. As a group of survivors you should let us live because we all have different skill sets that may be useful to you in the future.

I’m fine with Elect: Darth Feather

1. Depends. Is the one man my bother or son? Are the 5 men strangers? I would gladly save my brother, father, son or even a friend even if it meant that 5 strangers died. All else being equal, let one die to save five.
    2. Steal the meds and save your wife. Worry about the ramifications later.
    3. This is a hostile world. While it does mean more mouths to feed, keeping us around also means more hands to help you defend your territory and protect you from outside danger.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

So, shall we try to reach a consensus? On a quick reread this seems to be the winning answers:

1. Kill one to save five.
    2. Steal the medicine.
    3. We are useful to you.

So, shall we try to reach a consensus? On a quick reread this seems to be the winning answers:

2. Steal the medicine.
    3. We are useful to you.
    I am in agreement, in this environment upholding the numbers is our prime responsibility.

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

2. Steal the medicine.
    3. We are useful to you.
    I would also add that we are not a threat by number 3.
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Feather View Post
    I would also add that we are not a threat by number 3.
    Judging by the host's emphasis on discussion, I would also conclude that our answers need to be fairly descriptive, or at least elegantly written. No 5 word sentences posing as an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Pappy View Post
    Judging by the host's emphasis on discussion, I would also conclude that our answers need to be fairly descriptive, or at least elegantly written. No 5 word sentences posing as an answer.
    Yes, that was just a short list to show the chosen alternatives. Darth Feather have to add some more arguments when he delivers the answers.

Yes, that was just a short list to show the chosen alternatives. Darth Feather have to add some more arguments when he delivers the answers.
    This wasn't particularly directed at you, my friend I just noticed the trend and thought it should be addressed.

Onward to victory!

elect:edse

1. We should kill one to save five, unless the five are cripples and thus drags on society.
    2. Steal the medicine, life is too precious to set a value on.
    3. See question 2, life is precious.
    My game on Civfanatics could use a few more!: MNOTW XVII: The Cursed Blade!

I'm going to go with elect: edse, he seems to have a solid head on his shoulders.

As for my responses to the moral questions;

1) Ideally we would find a way that all 6 would be able to live, however since this seems to be out of reach I would say kill 1 to save 5. If I were the one I would think of no better way to go out than by saving others

2) I would steal the meds in a heartbeat, unless the person I was stealing the meds for did not want the meds.

3) In this post-apocalyptic world we must find a way to work together for the common good.

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

It ends with a tie, random.org chooses edse

Please send the official responses to me, in short time I will send out role PMs within 24 hours.

Apologies, real life's got me right now

1. Apple
    2. Banana
    3. We are hungry.

Wonder if they'll let us live.

Default Pratia III

1. Apple
    2. Banana
    3. We are hungry.

Wonder if they'll let us live.
    I imagine so, these are men. Food is the international language.
    Last edited by Chief Pappy; 11-13-2013 at 17:57.

Day Phase 1

edse (whose character name shall remain anonymous for now) was chosen by the people to represent them, discussing their answers they relied on the basics of necessity and survival to will their questioners to leave them be.

Forty-eight hours passed and edse alone met the tall man in the clearing across the stream.

"Please, sit down." The man pointed to a stump behind edse, sitting himself down on a large rock not a couple yards from him.

"What answers did you and your people come up with?" The man asked, piercing glare introducing itself to edse for the first time.

Shuffling to gain a certain level of uncertain comfort, edse replied, "We believe this is a time of survival, of working together and finding a way to be functional as a group. Life is precious. We cannot cast it away unwilling to accept the negative consequences of one less pair of hands to work and defend. The moralistic repercussions of allowing death is tragic, the less death, the better. One death for the life of five, theft of the medicine for the life of his wife..."

The man's stare did not cease as he listened, unemotional, stoic. "You did not answer the last question."

"I believe I did." edse's courage intriguing to the man.

A silence filled the air for some time before the tall man stood up, "Leave us alone and we'll leave you alone. You're right, we may need you someday." The stoic man allowed his face to bend into a smirk as he walked away.

Confused, edse returned to the cave where his people awaited what turned out to be a positive response. "We still live, for now..."

Explanation:
    -Answers were accepted, players allowed to live.

(I am currently working on role PM's which for some reason have vanished from my server account... They will be posted tonight and hopefully the first night phase as well)

Night Phase 1

After facing the possibility of utter annihilation, the town settled down for the night. Everyone half expected the men to return, so they set up a watch in which to keep an eye on the entrance. They had fashioned some makeshift spears out of a few sticks they've found, and had some hand-sized rocks available too for melee battle. All attempted to rest.

Michael had taken the first watch with a man he had only just met. They sat quietly outside the entrance, when the man said, "I don't know why we run.."

"What do you mean?" Michael replied, slightly confused.

"The Praters will find us, and we're all going to die." He replied, looking at Michael with sad eyes glossed over.

"What do you propose we do then?" Silence persevered for a moment, when finally the saddened man returned, "Give ourselves up, swear allegiance to them, maybe we'll get to live."

Michael was shocked by this man's attitude. Did he mean it? There's no way he suspects him to be the traitor he is, perhaps this lends to him an advantage.

"What if I told you that you could?" Michael responded, curiosity tugging at him.

The other man stirred a little, "What do YOU mean?"

Michael smiled, "Let's just say I could arrange that..."

Role PMs have all been sent out!
    Day Phase 2 has begun and will end tomorrow night (November 14th) and 9:00pm with chance for 24 hour extension.
    Let the games begin!

Time Remaining:
    Last edited by Zain; 11-13-2013 at 22:54. Reason: Added in possibility of round extension

Vote: Auto as per the random gods

Vote: Makrell

Vote: edse

Obviously his Pratia II guilt has carried over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    Vote: edse

Obviously his Pratia II guilt has carried over.
    Discrimination against our (apparently) successful liaison? For shame!

vote: Ferret

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast