Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death By Design

The Legislator of Lol Member Stildawn's Avatar

Default Death By Design

Death By Design

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Welcome All to Death By Design

This is a simple, community driven character vs environment game, that should hopefully be both fun and entertaining as well as easy to play and carefree.

The game is run by the "General Consensus" of the community via players posts in this thread, players simply read the write ups and then discuss with other players and then give their suggested next action for the main character. At disscussion/orders phase end, I as host will action the general direction of the community into the story and provide the next write up with the results of that action. And thus play continues...

Rules? Well there are no set rules, within the realm of realism you can direct the character to do anything you want. Obviously unrealist requests will be ignored or played out badly. But aside from that, he's your character to control people.

If there is one thing I would ask you to do, is that any suggestions you have, just bold them so I can see them easier.

During the discussion/suggestion phase you may ask me anything about the character/situation and if the character would know etc without having to do any extra actions, then I will report back the answer and post it in the write up notes.

Time elapses at the rate most realistic to the actions performed, if the general consensus is for the character to open a window, then only a few seconds "game time" will pass for that phase. I will also perform actions sooner than the phase end if there is an overwhelming consensus to do a certain action (no point delaying the game for no reason).

Any improvement/tips you can think of about anything, writing etc please let me know.

Part 1: What the ?

“Excuse me sir?”

“Sir”

“Oh huh… Yes?”

“Is this your bag Sir?” The Stewardess mentioned to the brown satchel bag she had pulled down from the overhead locker.

“Yes, yes that’s mine” I inquired.

“We need this space for another larger bag, do you need anything out of this one? We’ll be moving it down four rows” She smiled back behind heavy makeup.

“No that’s fine, I have my phone” I replied trying to match her smile.

“Be sure to turn it off” And off she went with my bag with a practiced efficiency.

Watching her go I smiled to myself before turning back into my seat, it was time to endure the long flight.

….

“US AIRWAYS FLIGHT 2070 TO PHILIDELPHIA NOW BOARDING GATE 10” The PA boomed overhead as I and the other passengers wondered almost lifelessly down a never ending corridor of O’Hare International.

I was in no hurry as I could already see the queues forming for Customs, so I took the time to get my bearing back after the long flight, eventually slipping into the end of line 4.

“Passport Please Mr….”

“Braden Coke” I replied rummaging through my brown satchel as I have been for the last few minutes, the sweat was beginning to form on my brow as I looked up meekly to the gruff old Customs officer.

“Um… I seem to have lost it?” I said, more of a question than a statement.

“Sigh…” It was audible across the hum of the crowded airport as the Customs officer stared back at me almost blankly before picking up his phone dialling quickly.

Moments later I found myself in a plain white room with a window to the corridor outside but no external windows, a simple desk with the contents of my brown satchel spread across it, and myself sitting facing Officer George Harden who was making quick notes on this pad.

Finishing he looked back up to me.

“So Mr uh Coke, you’re in quite a bit of trouble here, no passport, no wallet, no form of identification at all?” He left that last bit hang for a moment “And….. The social security number you provided quite frankly isn’t you?” He said once again tapping the photo print out of ‘Braden Coke’ a man who although a similar age to me, clearly looked different.

“Look I have never seen this man before in my life, and… and… I don’t know what to tell you… I’m Braden Coke, and that’s my social security number” I replied utterly frustrated. What the hell was going on I screamed in my mind.

“OFFICER HARDEN, PLEASE REPORT TO FRONT DESK” The PA sounded making George look up at the ceiling.

“Look, think about your story and the situation you are in… And when I get back, how about we start afresh, with the truth this time ok?” He said as he stood up to leave the room.

I sat with my head in my hands for a moment, my mind was a blaze in muddled thought, a semi state of shock of what was happening, I could tell that panic was beginning to set in as I tried to steady myself and think logically… I must be able to prove who I was somehow… Think…

I stood slowly, hoping the movement will calm my thoughts as I walked over to the long window looking out into the corridor. At the far end maybe 20 meters down what seemed to be another endless corridor, I could see Officer Harden chatting to another man in a black suit…

“Ooooo” I joked to myself thinking of the serious looking man in black, although I laughed to myself I immediately frowned, my situation was no joke.

“What the @#$%%!” I said out loud.

Staring in horror as the man in black, one moment chatting the next he produced a small handgun and with no remorse put two bullets into Officer Harden’s chest…

Time slowed… I could see the empty shells falling to the floor after they silently dispatched Harden. The man began to catch the lifeless body… Moving towards an open door… He dragged the body inside…

“What the hell, what… what… holy #&$%... #$%#... Oh man” I rambled to myself as I practically leaned against the glass, my heart thumping in my chest… I must… What… What should I do… I only had moments to react to this new terrifying situation; the man would be back at any moment…

“Holy &$^&!!!!”

Part 1: Extra Notes (I will add to this as questions are asked)

btw what does the character have on himself?
    At the moment he has nothing on his person.

On the table is the contents of his satchel bag + other items, which is as follows:

Headphones, magazine (FHM US October Issue), book (Tom Clancy Red Storm Rising), mobile phone (Samsung Ace Plus), $1.50 of Barbados currency, photo of 'Braden Coke' with social security number along the top, and a receipt for a massage.

Is there another window to go out of? Or maybe another room down the same hall?
    No other windows, its an internal room. There are multiple rooms down the corridor. The corridor also extends for a long time in the opposite direction of the suited man.

How squeaky are the character's shoes? What material is the floor made out of?
    Generic office carpet (very short pile), generic sneakers (for comfort on a long flight home) = Combination not squeaky

Part 1.01: Footsteps
    Officer Harden’s feet disappeared in one last tug behind the far door frame the man in black disposing of the body he created moments ago. The sudden emptiness of the long corridor snapped my mind back to reality… Thoughts racing I knew I must do something, and fast.

Spinning away from the window and scanning the room, in a panicked haste I swept all the items on the desk into my satchel bag, quickly swinging it up onto my shoulder I reached for the door knob.

With a long breath out I turned… And turned… And the door opened… “Phew” I thought as I darted a look down the corridor, the man was still inside, I could faintly hear him moving Harden around inside the room.

I looked right, the corridor was long but I could see an intersection of sorts about fifteen meters away, I was about to move in that direction when I paused.

“What if he’s looking for me?” “It’s possible, but why?” “What if Harden told him where I was?” I thought to myself, quickly deciding it might be best to hide closer rather than further, in the hope that the man would walk right past.

I darted silently down to the left, getting closer with every light step… I past one door, it was locked, the next however just two doors up from the room the suited man was occupying opened… Peering inside it was lab of some type, a large stainless steel work bench with various instruments stood in the centre of the room, and another bench ringed the outside edges.

I didn’t have time to be picky so I quietly closed the door after entering, the room was dark with the door closed, but I quickly navigated by touch to the workbench in the centre, then around its far side, eventually crawling into a small compartment, furthest from the door.

Breathing heavily from the stress of the moment, I began to settle into my new hiding place. My heart was still racing when I heard the first footstep…

“Oh my god, oh my god” I uncontrollably whispered to myself as the next steps sound reach my ears.

They were slow… Methodical… Ever closer…

There was a pause… The last step sounding just outside the labs door…

“Ahhh hmmmm” I mumbled silently panic creeping in… I felt naked… Like he could see me even when he couldn’t… Like he could sense my very presence through the wood and the steel…

Silence… Nothing… Time stood still as I trembled…

….

A faint thud… A footstep… Then another… Another… Moving… Moving… Further away…

With a cold shiver down my spine I listened to his soft methodical steps, one after the other, getting fainter and further away… I was safe, at least for now…

“Excuse me… You can’t be here?” A firm but muffled voice sounded.

“Yes you… Only authorised people are allowed back here?” The voice rang out again.

“Yes…” I thought to myself smiling.

Click… … Click…

The unmistakeable sound of the silenced weapon’s action seemed to tear through the air, with it all the fear returned, climaxed by the thud of a new body hitting the floor.

“Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh” The piercing sound of a female scream stung the air as I trembled back into my cubby hole.

The sound of running came next followed by another scream this time a man…

Suddenly the world erupted, an explosion of sound as an alarm was sounded… Doors flung open, men & women screamed and the corridor was filled with the noise of running panicked people.

“$#!+,$#!+,$#!+” I mumbled as my heart raced again the shrill swelling sound of the alarm rising and falling in pitch rocking my soul.

“What should I do? What the hell was going on? Who was the suited man who had now killed at least two people? Was he after me? Why?” I thought…

“WHY????”

Part 1.01: Extra Notes
    What is my profession? What I specialize in?
    Event Mananger for the United Center, Bachelors degree in Marketing and Management

Part 1.02: Mad Scamble

Panting heavily I scrambled out of my hiding space, I had to get the #$%^ out of here I thought to myself as I quickly scanned the small lab.

There… I saw what I was after a simple white laboratory coat on a hook behind the entrance door. Moving over on all fours I ripped it down and threaded my arms into it closing the coat tight to hide my holiday clothes.

“Barry? US Customs” I read the blue embroided label on the coat as I stood peering out the window.

“People were still running frantically outside the lab, some almost falling over the bleeding out body on the floor a few paces up the corridor towards the room I was detained in. The suited man was nowhere to be seen.

Opening the door I took a quick look either direction then joined the rush down the corridor away from where I started.

Approaching the corner where I first saw the suited man I caught a glimpse of Hardens dead body in the side room as I spun round what seemed to be a receptions desk, a few large double doors opening out into a crowd of more panicked people scrambling through the main airport floor…

“Should I go that way” I thought to myself… “Or should I take the corridor to the left or right”

Looking left and right down there were some more double doors at each ways far end, perhaps they would be a better escape route.

My heart stopped… To the right down the corridor just before the double door at its end the man stepped out from another corridor at the far end.

Our eyes met for but a moment... I a face of fear and shock… He instantly recognised me and formed a small sly smile…

Doing away with timed phases, so feel free to discuss/suggest and I'll come in with answers and next phase when ready.
    Last edited by Stildawn; 12-03-2013 at 00:54.

Default Re: Death By Design

*RESERVED*

*RESERVED2*

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

It's 'audible', not 'auditable'.

good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If the door is open, probably best idea is to leave and enter into another room. Seeing the room empty, they might go on by.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Yes, hiding is probably the best option. Is there another window to go out of? Or maybe another room down the same hall?
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    It's 'audible', not 'auditable'.

Damn word not spell checking my uselessness lol.

At the moment he has nothing on his person.

On the table is the contents of his satchel bag + other items, which is as follows:

Headphones, magazine (FHM US October Issue), book (Tom Clancy Red Storm Rising), mobile phone (Samsung Ace Plus), $1.50 of Barbados currency, photo of 'Braden Coke' with social security number along the top, and a receipt for a massage.

Yes, hiding is probably the best option. Is there another window to go out of? Or maybe another room down the same hall?
    No other windows, its an internal room. There are multiple rooms down the corridor. The corridor also extends for a long time in the opposite direction of the suited man.

Just a note the time elapse each phase is not set, it is determined by the suggested actions. Also the phase can end earler than states if I get overwhelming votes in favour of an action.

Hope this helps :)
    Last edited by Stildawn; 11-18-2013 at 01:32.

Blog Entries

Putting all the items quickly in the satchel and quickly disappearing might be the safest. Running too far down the corridor poses higher chance of getting caught, or an empty room where it looks to be a place to easily hide or at least be hidden from view (like laying down on the floor against a near wall or under a desk) might buy us time if the Agent person is in a hurry in his search. Also, having the mobile phone turned off might be an idea, or just unclipping the battery. You don't want a Jurassic Park moment.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I'm with the others. Duck up the corridor in the direction of the agent (if he knows what room we're meant to be in, he won't expect that). Find a room, preferably with some means of cover from the door. Sit down and read the book - it's one of Clancy's better ones. If the agent discovers you, offer the massage in exchange for your life.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

The Agent is here to bust us out, not to kill us. We are some sort of double agent/sleeper who had his memory wiped and is impersonating some other dude.

Anyway gathering stuff and hiding in a nearby room is probably the best idea anyway just in case I am wrong; if I am right it won't actually matter that we are hiding because he'll say he's friendly or something.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Blog Entries

Interesting idea, Chaotix. Could be why the Officer was killed before him coming after us. Then again, simply not having a witness is good too.

Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

1. Take everything from table.
    2. Examine lock of the room (can it be locked from outside)
    3. Go to another room and hide. When agent checks the room where I was interrogated, then:
    a) if doors can be locked from outside, lock him in
    b) if not, try to sneak out

And I think we/I need to play it safe. I cannot trust anyone, so I have to assume that man in black is here to kill me

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

I would not advise to take the book in the satchel. If there is any danger fast escape might be the only option.
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

1. Maybe there is some information in the book. Like notes on margins, or a small sheet of paper. There is no time to check it now, so better take it
    2. If it is small, no problem. If it is big, we can use it to hit back of someones head

Maybe the book is what they're after.

Four hours to go, and I am actively here to answer questions for the rest of the countdown.

(this is so like Problem Sleuth!)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Feather View Post
    I would not advise to take the book in the satchel. If there is any danger fast escape might be the only option.

'Never leave home without a book' is a motto I have stuck to all my life, and I will make sure any fictional characters I have a say in stick to it!
    Last edited by Ishmael; 11-19-2013 at 02:30.

Generic office carpet (very short pile), generic sneakers (for comfort on a long flight home) = Combination not squeaky

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

Try to break out a wall by banging your head against it.

On a more serious note: The book might be an attack weapon so it's indeed best to keep it. If a fast escape is necesary (man I must have spelled this wrong) it can still be thrown away.

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Update:

General consensus so far is to grab all items, put in bag, attempt to leave room and hide in another room along corridor.

Kind of, yes. After all, we know that whatever we do you have to keep us alive or else the game is over.

Kind of, yes. After all, we know that whatever we do you have to keep us alive or else the game is over.
    Meh, I am not sure about that. If we would have opted to try to eat all items, I am not sure wether the host would've let us survive.

Discussion/Suggestion Phase Over.

Here is a run down of all suggestions forming the characters next action:

If the door is open, probably best idea is to leave and enter into another room. Seeing the room empty, they might go on by.

Yes, hiding is probably the best option

Putting all the items quickly in the satchel and quickly disappearing might be the safest. Running too far down the corridor poses higher chance of getting caught, or an empty room where it looks to be a place to easily hide or at least be hidden from view (like laying down on the floor against a near wall or under a desk) might buy us time if the Agent person is in a hurry in his search. Also, having the mobile phone turned off might be an idea, or just unclipping the battery.

I'm with the others. Duck up the corridor in the direction of the agent (if he knows what room we're meant to be in, he won't expect that). Find a room, preferably with some means of cover from the door. Sit down and read the book - it's one of Clancy's better ones. If the agent discovers you, offer the massage in exchange for your life.

Anyway gathering stuff and hiding in a nearby room is probably the best idea anyway just in case I am wrong

1. Take everything from table.
    2. Examine lock of the room (can it be locked from outside)
    3. Go to another room and hide. When agent checks the room where I was interrogated, then:
    a) if doors can be locked from outside, lock him in
    b) if not, try to sneak out

Action taken:

- Pack all items on table into the satchel bag
    - Leave the room
    - Move down corridor towards the suited man
    - Find room to hide in

I plan for the next write up to be up by tonight my time (8 hours or so)

You can continue to discuss the situation, and ask questions. Remember you can ask about anything the Character would know at the present time, anything. If he should know it then I will give you the answer (think of this as the character thinking about things in his mind lol)

Do I have a criminal record? Do I have any allergies? Am I any good at singing in the bath? Do I have any fighting skills? Did I ever attend college and do something worthwhile in debate club? Do I look good in a moustache? How good am I at poker? Do I have good reflexes? Have I sustained any injuries recently? Have I ever been in a similar situation before? Why am I here?

Do I have a criminal record? Do I have any allergies? Am I any good at singing in the bath? Do I have any fighting skills? Did I ever attend college and do something worthwhile in debate club? Do I look good in a moustache? How good am I at poker? Do I have good reflexes? Have I sustained any injuries recently? Have I ever been in a similar situation before? Why am I here?
    Haha ok here goes:

Do I have a criminal record? No
    Do I have any allergies? No (mainly so I dont have to remember this later on when you try kill the dude by eating something weird lol)
    Am I any good at singing in the bath? Better than most
    Do I have any fighting skills? Training No, skills developed from random school/bar fights
    Did I ever attend college and do something worthwhile in debate club? Yes, No
    Do I look good in a moustache? Only during Movember lol
    How good am I at poker? Better than most, have waste some hours online
    Do I have good reflexes? Yes
    Have I sustained any injuries recently? No
    Have I ever been in a similar situation before? No
    Why am I here? Returning home from holiday in Barbados

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stildawn View Post
    Do I have a criminal record? No
    Well, more accurately. "We think we don't have a criminal record" since we are not apparently who we think we are.

Part 1.01: Footsteps

Officer Harden’s feet disappeared in one last tug behind the far door frame the man in black disposing of the body he created moments ago. The sudden emptiness of the long corridor snapped my mind back to reality… Thoughts racing I knew I must do something, and fast.

Spinning away from the window and scanning the room, in a panicked haste I swept all the items on the desk into my satchel bag, quickly swinging it up onto my shoulder I reached for the door knob.

With a long breath out I turned… And turned… And the door opened… “Phew” I thought as I darted a look down the corridor, the man was still inside, I could faintly hear him moving Harden around inside the room.

I looked right, the corridor was long but I could see an intersection of sorts about fifteen meters away, I was about to move in that direction when I paused.

“What if he’s looking for me?” “It’s possible, but why?” “What if Harden told him where I was?” I thought to myself, quickly deciding it might be best to hide closer rather than further, in the hope that the man would walk right past.

I darted silently down to the left, getting closer with every light step… I past one door, it was locked, the next however just two doors up from the room the suited man was occupying opened… Peering inside it was lab of some type, a large stainless steel work bench with various instruments stood in the centre of the room, and another bench ringed the outside edges.

I didn’t have time to be picky so I quietly closed the door after entering, the room was dark with the door closed, but I quickly navigated by touch to the workbench in the centre, then around its far side, eventually crawling into a small compartment, furthest from the door.

Breathing heavily from the stress of the moment, I began to settle into my new hiding place. My heart was still racing when I heard the first footstep…

“Oh my god, oh my god” I uncontrollably whispered to myself as the next steps sound reach my ears.

They were slow… Methodical… Ever closer…

There was a pause… The last step sounding just outside the labs door…

“Ahhh hmmmm” I mumbled silently panic creeping in… I felt naked… Like he could see me even when he couldn’t… Like he could sense my very presence through the wood and the steel…

Silence… Nothing… Time stood still as I trembled…

….

A faint thud… A footstep… Then another… Another… Moving… Moving… Further away…

With a cold shiver down my spine I listened to his soft methodical steps, one after the other, getting fainter and further away… I was safe, at least for now…

“Excuse me… You can’t be here?” A firm but muffled voice sounded.

“Yes you… Only authorised people are allowed back here?” The voice rang out again.

“Yes…” I thought to myself smiling.

Click… … Click…

The unmistakeable sound of the silenced weapon’s action seemed to tear through the air, with it all the fear returned, climaxed by the thud of a new body hitting the floor.

“Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh” The piercing sound of a female scream stung the air as I trembled back into my cubby hole.

The sound of running came next followed by another scream this time a man…

Suddenly the world erupted, an explosion of sound as an alarm was sounded… Doors flung open, men & women screamed and the corridor was filled with the noise of running panicked people.

“$#!+,$#!+,$#!+” I mumbled as my heart raced again the shrill swelling sound of the alarm rising and falling in pitch rocking my soul.

“What should I do? What the hell was going on? Who was the suited man who had now killed at least two people? Was he after me? Why?” I thought…

“WHY????”
    Last edited by Stildawn; 11-19-2013 at 04:49.

I'd propose blending in with the crowd of people presumably running for the exits. After that we can see about getting the hell out of Dodge.

EDIT: Of course I doubt it will be that easy, given that it's unlikely our host will allow us to go home and live our life in peace. Still, I don't have any better ideas.
    Last edited by Ishmael; 11-19-2013 at 08:28.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast