Thread: Wii-u, first impressions

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Wii-u, first impressions

I am really glad I bought this, for now, I will eventually get a ps4, but I might also stick with this and skip this generation, we will see. Having two screens turns it into a very big DS, it's pretty brilliant. The controller feels a bit cheap, the buttons are rattling when you move the thing. It is actually really precise though, and the screen is really good. Playing on the controller is great. Argument left untouched, the sound. It is great. Having your sound-system and the sound from your controller is incredibly awesome, makes for a sphere of sound when combined. As for graphics, they are stunning, Zelda: the Windwaker allready was the bestlooking game ever, but the HD-version is simply incredible (but ffs let me inverse my y-axis) New Super Mario Bros is a great feat as well but you won't notice at first, but it looks really really good. And plays even better, sorry Rayman. Bring on Mario-kart, and a new waverace. Please?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wii-u, first impressions

I half expected the first post to only contain "It's crap."

Am I too cynical?
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Not at all, I am kinda pleasantly surprised myself. It is a really slick device, it's really small but seems to have absolutily no problem with running current-gen. It's also very quiet, I like that. The xbox360 and ps3 sound like they are going to lift of and fly away and bomb something, while the Wii-u isn't any worse than my cat after eating, it's completliy silent when compared to my cat actually. But it runs really nice graphics just as fine as the ps3 or x360 do, maybe even better.
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-18-2013 at 18:44. Reason: Spelling. Mine sucks.

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

The question I've wondered for a while with the Wii U; can it be considered as Nintendo's next-gen offering, or is it just equivalent to the 360 being revamped to the Elite, with a funky gamepad-with-screen thrown in? Is the architecture significantly better than Wii's?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    The xbox360 and ps3 sound like they are going to lift of and fly away and bomb something, while the Wii-u isn't any worse than my cat after eating
    I've actually found the 360 Elite to be pretty quiet, far more than the original machine which often sounded like I was at Cape Canaveral!
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

No it wouldn't be a next-gen offering, it's just as good as ps3 or xbox360 at most probably. But that extra screen is more fun than I expected it to be, it's really slick. But it won't make people who are going to buy a ps4 or xbox-one very sad about not buying one, it can't replace either.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

I think it's unlikely that Nintendo will have another console for this generation, if that's what you mean. Unless they plan to start breaking away from the other two giants' influence and just release consoles halfway between generations.

HD, new peripherals, new architecture, and new games make the Wii U a next-gen console in the sense that it's a full generation ahead of the Wii. It's probably only like half a generation ahead of the Xbox 360 and PS3; the processor is more powerful but not significantly, it's just due to more current technology and was held back somewhat by trying to keep the console affordable. It is smaller and quieter for essentially the same amount of power, as Frags said, so that's something. But I would definitely say it's much more of a new console than the Xbox Elite.

Essentially Nintendo is ahead in terms of finding new ways to play/new peripherals/other innovative things/whatever, but are almost a full gen behind in the graphics department.

I'm not sure whether 3rd parties will be able to develop their cross-platform games for Wii U as well as the new Xbox and PlayStation. It seems that we have reached the point where HD is HD, you can't do much better or make things seem more realistic; at the same time next-gen games could have a level of detail that the Wii U can't handle.
    Last edited by Chaotix; 11-19-2013 at 11:13.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Sums it up probably. The next-gen playstation and xbox will of course get ahead, I will get one once they do, but I expect the Wii-u to hold up pretty well for a while. There isn't anything on the two biggies that I really want to play, maybe Forza but nothing else. Right now the Wii-u has some titles that just scream 'right now' but that depends on your taste. The new 2d mario is awesome for example but not everyone will like it. I figure I'll buy a ps4 over two years or so, but the Wii-u already has the same and more at the moment.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I finally broke down and picked up a WiiU a couple weeks ago- the deluxe package with the New Super Mario Brothers.

I do really like the system. The tablet/controller seemed gimmicky before I laid hands on it, but once I did I'm surprised that all the console makers aren't doing it yet.

I picked up ZombiU for about $12... and wow, what a game! I'm maybe 4 hours in, so I don't know if the premise will eventually wear thin, but it's great so far. The comparisons to a zombified Demon's Souls are pretty accurate imo. I've already died probably 10x and when you die, that survivor is gone forever- in fact, they become a zombie. If you're smart, when you spawn as a new survivor you can track down your zombified predecessor and put them out of their misery and get whatever loot they had in their pack. But aside from that, and a storage chest in the safe house, when you die you lose everything- skills you've built up, gear you've looted, everything.

I thought I was doing well with my first character until I tried to enter a grocery store and triggered an alarm. While I was busy in the entrance way trying to club a zombie security guard to death, the noise of the alarm attracted 4-5 more zombies who filed in and blocked my escape. When I finished off the guard and turned around to see what I face.... I knew I was doomed.

Shortly after, when you have to defend your safe house against a zombie horde, I died again, and again, and again.

So yeah, great stuff. A great survival horror. Enough "boo" surprises to keep you on edge, with the added anxiety of a harsh penalty for dying.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

ZombiU is really underapreciated, it's a great survival horror-game with some really slick mechanics. It's a bit short so getting it for 12 dollar is just about correct. My only beef with the Wii-u is wiimote integration, I don't want to use it but Super Mario Bros keeps asking me if I want to, every time I say no and have to go through multiple screens again, and again, and again. Since the game is really hard having to do that again, and again, and again, deserves no less than a fatwa on six generations and two more atomic bombs on Japan. Really annoying. But the flow of the game when played with an analogue stick is amazing. Extra extra awesome, it plays all Wii games and they seem to look better on the WiiU.

People who complain it's not very powerfull should see this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Q4ld4uqcY One big open world with no loading-times whatsoever running in HD with 60fps.
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-14-2013 at 10:25.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

People who complain it's not very powerfull should see this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Q4ld4uqcY One big open world with no loading-times whatsoever running in HD with 60fps.
    A lot of the graphics are backdrops which don't take that much in processing power, but do look good. The on-screen polygons didn't seem that high. So whilst it looks visually really good (would be silly to deny that), in terms of power, it doesn't look that high, especially with the close-up views of the character, it looked similar to the Last Remnant (2009).

So I will agree it looks good, but it doesn't really showcase itself compared to existing.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Current gen and a halve, somewhere in between. It's a really good console, all Wii-games work and the WiiU titles look stunning. The menu is nightmare though.

Get the Winkaker by the way, all superlatives in pointing out how good it looks fail. It's absolutily stunning.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Get the Winkaker by the way, all superlatives in pointing out how good it looks fail. It's absolutily stunning.
    I assume you mean The Wind Waker?

Great game. Have you played the original?
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
    I assume you mean The Wind Waker?

Great game. Have you played the original?
    Yes to both, but it's been a while so it all seems new to me, it's much harder than I remember it to be. Oh these graphics... Fantastic. Haters be damned, things look very good for the Wii-U, a lot of goodness comming up in 2014, and it's fully backwards compatible. An absolute wealth of value in that sexy little box.