Thread: ui,fonts and flexability of medieval 2

Default ui,fonts and flexability of medieval 2

i was reading a player made guide for eb and i had an idea.
    In both rtw and mtw2 some ui,fonts and graphics are either tied to every culture or worst you cant change them and you have only one from them .
    For example the soldier icon in the soldier details https://img423.imageshack.us/img423/...raining6nu.jpg which is a roman legion. in cases like this playing as roma is ok but i think other factions should have unique graphics(imagine gauls garison icon) . In some medieval 2 mod they have found a sollution to this by using some kind of LAUNCHER where you choose what faction you want to play, the launcher installs some files and when you want to play other faction then it overwrites the previous files with new ones. this way we can achieve greater uniqueness among factions even in the same culture group

edit=yes i know this suggestion is not very importand
    Last edited by clone; 12-01-2013 at 23:50.

Default Re: ui,fonts and flexability of medieval 2

Slightly off topic, but why do the romans have greek portraits?

Quote Originally Posted by cahtush View Post
    Slightly off topic, but why do the romans have greek portraits?
    this pic was from an early version

At the time the Romans used the vanilla Seleucid faction. I don't know why this was.

I checked the EB files a while ago to edit reform dates for Rome when I was planning to play as Rome and they still are technically Seleucids.

I think the dude at Arretium still has a Greek portrait, if not it looks similar; bushy beard and moustache, bald.
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

for the original idea i think it´s cool except that it can cause crashes in the game so test it properly before implementing it

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Aren't the Romans vanilla Seleucids to make to so that factions would murder the right factions?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

arent you going getting a little (only a little ) off topic

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Well your edit puts your case to rest. At this moment we are still finishing up the basic culture specific UI elements, without a file replacing launcher. So no currently it's not planned. Possibly in the future, but I doubt it as we have had quite some trouble finding and keeping people who work on the UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Well your edit puts your case to rest. At this moment we are still finishing up the basic culture specific UI elements, without a file replacing launcher. So no currently it's not planned. Possibly in the future, but I doubt it as we have had quite some trouble finding and keeping people who work on the UI.
    thanks for the answer

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: ui,fonts and flexability of medieval 2

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Aren't the Romans vanilla Seleucids to make to so that factions would murder the right factions?
    No, that was due to hardcoded limits on the culture slots. Before the R:TW v1.3 patch, it wasn't possible to change a faction's culture. There were three Roman faction slots (not counting the senate), two Punic, one Egyptian, etc. In order to group the factions into reasonably realistic cultures, the EB team had to juggle them around. They didn't want to give Rome it's own, unique culture, since it was far closer to the Greeks than, say, Carthage. So Carthage was placed into the Egyptian slot, while Rome was grouped with the Western Greek factions.

After the 1.3 patch this became moddable, so Saba could be given the same culture as Carthage.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Member thankful for this post:

Moros 

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    No, that was due to hardcoded limits on the culture slots. Before the R:TW v1.3 patch, it wasn't possible to change a faction's culture. There were three Roman faction slots (not counting the senate), two Punic, one Egyptian, etc. In order to group the factions into reasonably realistic cultures, the EB team had to juggle them around. They didn't want to give Rome it's own, unique culture, since it was far closer to the Greeks than, say, Carthage. So Carthage was placed into the Egyptian slot, while Rome was grouped with the Western Greek factions.

After the 1.3 patch this became moddable, so Saba could be given the same culture as Carthage.
    You've got one heck of a memory! I don't even remember all that.