Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Caesar in Gaul DLC

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Default Re: Caesar in Gaul DLC

I laugh every time I get the mod it reply. You can't just add more turns per year and not jack up most everything else in the game. When the game is designed ground up on 1ypt the only way you fix that is for CA to release DLCs designed around more turns per year, just as they in fact have done repeatedly. And all of which are as I said above, orders of magnitude more enjoyable.

And while CA will never admit how wrong they were about R2, the more I see of Attila the more it looks to me like they have owned up to many of the mistakes made and are attempting to fix them. I'll take that as an unspoken admission.

I still won't buy it at launch and sure as hell won't pre-order it. But I do look forward to hearing what others have to say who are buying it in spite of the R2 launch train-wreck, and I will get it, once it's 20 bucks and patched.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    I laugh every time I get the mod it reply. You can't just add more turns per year and not jack up most everything else in the game.
    True, but you do realize that there also also mods which modify the other things that are effected by more turns per year like general and and agent skills, and building/research times, right?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I know, trouble is they rarely (if ever) contend with all the implications this imposes and pretty much w/o exception make changes that are worse in some places than the issue they seek to address (or that I am trying to address). Game balance is a hard business, so when you set about trying to fix all the things 1ypt broke the likelihood you'll end up causing more mischief than good is significant.

The high point imho for modding was MTW2, everything since has been a slow slide to our current predicament.

No matter, Ocatvaius, CIG and HaTG are all a blast, I'm not missing anything here. I've played the GC through 3 or 4 times to completion, that's enough both in terms of me knowing I loathe it and to confirm it was not just a 1st impression based on an early build (last two play throughs were after the last two patches when I came back after ignoring the GC for awhile to let them patch it up).

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Sounds like a helluva deal to me, both HaTG and CIG (and for that matter the Octavius civil war released in the new edition) are all 1000% more fun than the soul crushingly stupid CG w/ it's 1ypt that leaves agents and generals dead before you know their name or they amount to anything. You couldn't pay me money to play the CG, but I have a really good time with the the others because I can develop agency with my army and train them and my agents to be weapons in my arsenal since they are all multi turn variants of the GC (whereas with the GC all I do is attend funerals - and this is something we made plainly clear to CA well before the game launched, in fact to the day they had the balls to admit this brain dead design decision).
    I don't really remember the names of any of my dudes or dudettes in the 4tpy campaign either, mostly because who leads what army and why and when doesn't really matter and oh, the old guy got assassinated? No problem, here's a new one, go ahead.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

mostly because who leads what army and why and when doesn't really matter
    Sadly the case, apparently, for R2 but in R1 it did matter who lead what army because you had time to develop a general to legendary status in various categories and that made the difference between victory and defeat or how quickly you could expand your empire. I always prayed for the day, during the course of an Armenian campaign, when I got my "Military Genius" at the Coming of Age date, because after proper development, I knew he'd be leaving one historic battle marker after another in the desert sands of the Middle East and Africa

Particularly the name Kudurmabug:

http://s990.photobucket.com/user/aus...SS_04.jpg.html
    http://s990.photobucket.com/user/aus...a02-1.jpg.html
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 11-30-2014 at 14:16.
    High Plains Drifter

I developed all my generals and agents in S2, that was an important part of the game and helped tons in making it more immersive.

The DLC in R2 help bring that back a bit at least because they don't die off faster than I can groom them for greatness.

Like I said, it still doesn't really matter all that much. You get useful stuff like -1 turn siege turn siege hold out timers or +% replenishment. Or morale debuffs for the other guys but it's all so very generic and boring and frankly, quite unimportant in the long run.

In the scheme of things you could argue none of this is terribly important as it's all a discussion about a game, so how about I concede your point of meaninglessness of it all and we'll all get oh so very existential here for a bit.

And then everyone wakes up and realizes they're in a forum dedicated to game discussion, come back to their senses and once again make the point that playing them is about having fun, and one of the more important facets of having fun in a historical strategy game is immersion.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

it's all so very generic and boring and frankly, quite unimportant in the long run.
    If you're referring to R2, I don't have the game so I can't speak to that. If you're referring to TW games in general, based on the TW games I have....I couldn't disagree more

As et stated, grooming family members for greatness is a huge aspect of game immersion, and one I enjoyed enough to mark my accomplishments with screenies
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    As et stated, grooming family members for greatness is a huge aspect of game immersion, and one I enjoyed enough to mark my accomplishments with screenies
    i agree, breeding a descent family tree was one of my favourite parts from Rome and Medieval2.

thats what i really miss in Rome2

Circled back to play this one again this week. Had a really good time, in fact the previous two times I played it and lost I had a really good time. Being overwhelmed by barbarians playing as Rome and getting w/in 2 provinces of the victory condition but not able to do anything more than hold my own counterattacking was great fun.

But of course I had eventually to return and secure the victory, and this time I developed the base group of provinces for Rome more securely, expanded more slowly, recruited more armies to handle holding back the counterattacks and rebellions and carried the day this time.

Loved the turn count in this one, it allows the seasons to really play a part in the campaign. As I've said before, all the DLCs in my book for Rome 2 are really quite good, and far better than the GC in my book.

So, not sure which of the DLC I'll turn to next, probably return next to Atilla, got a campaign as the brits in that one, or what will eventually become the brits, so far have just secured the island and established a beach head, damn hordes are already marauding all over the continent so I'm sure they'll be trouble.

But since I had so much fun with CIG as Rome, I no doubt will fire it up again in the near future to play as the barbarians handing Caesar his head, I doubt though it will be as entertaining because it will likely be possible to recruit allies on that side, whereas playing Rome it was pretty much you against everyone on the map, a bit like realm divide from Shogun 2 only from the first turn to the bitter end.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456