Thread: The Savior of the East [EB Baktria AAR]

Default The Savior of the East [EB Baktria AAR]

I want to start a new AAR, but I really need support. I abandoned my last one on Carthage because of a lack of support. Please help me out on my second try.

We will either find a way, or make one.
    -Hannibal Barca

It is the part of the fool to say, I should not have thought.
    -Scipio Africanus

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: The Savior of the East [EB Baktria AAR]

Summer, 272 BC

Satrap Theodotos of Baktria watched the fight from his palace. Under him, the Pro-Seleukeids fought the Anti-Seleukids. The Pro Seleukids wanted the satrapy of Baktria to war with Pahlava, or the Parni. The Anti-Seleukeids wished for the Satrap to declare war on the Seleukeids Empire. He sighed as the guards converged on them. Whichever group was right, it was a surety that the Baktrian Satrapy would have to choose one side. Theodotos turned to find his son, Diodotos. He found him speaking to a Parni envoy. The envoy got up respectfully in the presence of the Satrap, and imediately sat down and began to speak. "Great and wise Satrap, I come to speak for all the lesser successor states, as well as the Pahlava." "Yes, I could tell that. Please tell me what you want, and then be on your way." The diplomat bowed stiffly. "My name is Memnos, envoy to the Pahlava. I have a Greek name, as my father lived here under your reign, a free Greek." Memnos looked straight into Theodotos eyes. "His name was Dionysius." Diodotos recoiled. "Dionysius the murderer? The man who was executed for high treason against the Empire?" "There is no empire!" Memnos roared. Theodotos and Diodotos were stunned. A guard entered the room but Theodotos beckoned for him to leave. "Persian, Greek, nomad, traitor, whatever you are, just tell me what you want and leave." Memnos nodded. "The Pahlava nomads have chosen this moment to pounce on the weakening empire. The Seleukeid empire fights continous wars with the Egyptians, and meanwhile you are left to fend of raids from the foul Dahae and other steppe raiders. But if we strike now, we will be able to unite against the empire and take what should be ours. All the Pahlava want is to make a new empire. An empire of Persia, the new empire. The Hayasdan have agreed to our terms, along with the People of Pontos. We just require your help." Diodotos looked at his father. And he was scared by what he saw. There was a fire in his fathers eyes, brighter than that of a fire in a forge. He looked straight at Memnos. And he spoke. "Listen, traitor. Let me tell you a story." Diodotos knew what his father would say next. "Let us be diplomatic, father." He warned. But Theodotos ignored him. "King Antiochos, son of Seleukos is marching north. With him, a general named Theodotos marched. King Antiochos defeated the nomads of the east, and names Theodotos satrap of Baktra. He trusts Theodotos. Now, almost 20 years later, a traitors son comes and asks me to betray his trust. Well then, you can just go to hell, if you think I will help you." Memnon got up, bowed, and left. Diodotos let out a sigh and asked his father a question. "What do you expect to accomplish by supporting the Seleukeids?" "Order is an island my son. The empire is that order, in the sea of chaos around it. Without the empire, there would be nothing but chaos and destruction." Diodotos was not convinced, but dropped the subject. He asked another question, trying to change the topic. "Who has been given power in the Eastern parts of the Empire?" Theodotos relaxed on the divan. "The brother of Antiochos, Achaios, has not given anyone particular power." Diodotos pressed on. "Father, Basileus Antiochos must have given someone weight in the East right? He wouldn't allow many contradicting generals to run around in confusion." "Your right son. I think I heard news of his son being named general of the Eastern border." "Who is he father?" "His name is Alexandros Syriakos."

This is the first part. I can't upload pictures because Fraps takes too much space. However, I can definitely write a lot, as I have a lot of free time, and I have always written stories of my campaigns.
    Last edited by Principe; 12-04-2013 at 17:04.

We will either find a way, or make one.
    -Hannibal Barca

It is the part of the fool to say, I should not have thought.
    -Scipio Africanus

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: The Savior of the East [EB Baktria AAR]

Who knew so much dialogue happened behind the scenes of a single diplomatic mission! So would it be wrong to predict that you will fight the eleutheroi of the region until theodotos dies, then launch an invasion of the Arche Seleukia? Strategically, it would give the Pahlav a chance to weaken them but it also means the grey death will be more advanced when you finally do come to battle with them. I have had my best success with Baktria by starting an all out war with the Seleucids from turn one, securing Mazaka and Alexandria Eschate before pushing south. But be warned, for you will need to eliminate them as a faction or establish a firm border ripe with stone walls and forts if you are ever to be rid of their incessant attempts to re-annex you. The Sakea will of course make your life extremely difficult and I have yet to figure out a perfect strategy of cleansing your lands of those murderous nomads (although taking gava haomavarga and garrisoning it as early as possible seems to mitigate their damage). Keep up the campaign!