Hey everyone it's been a good while since the last time I came to post something, and this struck me as one of the oddest things I've encountered. I'll preface this with I recently started to get back into RTW again after watching an lper om youtube play the game. The player had a mod installed called Darth mod, and was doing a Briton campaign. So I decide to download the mod to see if I couldn't breath new life into the game, and it did. So I start up a new campaign and decided to play as the Julii, seeing as they were the first faction I played the 1st time I played the game. Now let me say it is a little bit harder especially starting off with so many enemies but I got it down to just the Gauls and Carthage.

Now I had been focusing on the Gallic people's first as they could become a more immediate threat to northern Italy for me. After a bout 5-7 years on the defensive, I go and take Patavium, and not too long after Mediolanum. Now while holding Patavium the Gauls sent 2 half stacks in succession to take it back. Because of this I was sending up some newly recruited Hastatii from Arretium. On their wa though they got attacked by a Gallic army, consisting of I believe 2 or 3 family members, and some depleted warband and skirmishers. Now I think I had a 1:2 ratio for the fight, so I go and do it myself to see if I couldn't kill a family member. I didn't But I sent the army acking.

It's at this point the Gauls send another army at my 3 units, who have suffered some casualties, consisting of a general and 3 warband. My guys are given a 3:10 ration. At first I thought just to auto-calc because of the odds, but then I decided against that, to see if I could kill the family member. For deployment I get my men as close to the edged of the map where the two sides meet, thinking I could use that to protect my flanks. So basically its the unit made as the general in back to rally if need be, with the other two in front. Now after about 8 or so minutes runs out of the timer the Gauls come up to my men, they do their warcry, then proceed to just march back and forth in front of my men, until they just basically walk away and let me win. Mind you no casualties on either side. Then apparently because the Gauls are putting on a Broadway show for me, another army of theirs attacks, this time a family member 1 warband and 2 chosen swordsmen, or just regular ones. Again 3:10 in their favor. I deploy as in the last fight, and get to watch another song and dance before they leave again. Again no loses on either. Mind you I had to deal with both of those armies during my next turn, t wasn't so bad having more men to take them on with.

So the lesson I learned is if you have decent units, deployed in one of the corners of the map, in such a way as their flanks are more or less covered, the AI will just dance in front of them before leaving. Sorry for the kinda longish post. Hope you guys understood my trains of thought and thanks for taking the time to read this.