Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nothing to see here, move along

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Nothing to see here, move along

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    No, the fact is that 2/3 think that Islamic law is more important to them than secular law. That does not mean that they reject or will refuse to submit to secular law, as you seem to suggest.
    You could see it like that, granted. Rejection is too strong a term you are right about that. But even when toning it down a little it is still worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Just because you can't see it doesn't mean there's nothing to see. Or can you actually see it and choose to ignore it, you can never know. Fact, lefties ignore what doesn't suit them, that, or they simply can't see facts anymore. Too far gone.

Fact, 2/3 of the muslims in Europe reject secular law.
    This might seem like an odd necro, but I just watched this video from Bill Maher's show about liberals failing to criticize Islam and my god did it remind me of what Fragony said here. 10 minutes of Ben Affleck seemingly sticking his head in the sand and ignoring what everyone else was saying, proceeding to call everyone racist.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 10-05-2014 at 04:29.

Member thankful for this post:

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

The key point is that people were criticizing Islam, not the perverted interpretation of it by various fundamentalist and jihadists.

At its core, Islam is no more violent or conservative than Christianity. Also, people who criticize Islam fail to take into account plethora of other factors and blame the religion itself for everything that's happening. Homosexuals aren't treated much better in many, predominantly Christian, African countries.

Afleck said nothing much wrong really.

As I said in another thread, the problem is not Islam, but the Muslims themselves.

Reactionary cultural baggage - get rid of that, and "peaceful Islam" is a corollary.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    As I said in another thread, the problem is not Islam, but the Muslims themselves.
    I would turn that around. All my muslim friends only care about what's for dinner, and are in a pretty bad mood during ramadan. Their parents go to the mosque but that's about it. Those that subject to islam though, whole different thing. Islam is vile, muslims not.

Fun fact, had a chat with an Iraqi guy who wanted to join the then ISIS, we had casually talked before. We were sitting at my house outside having a street-barbecue and he asked if he could join us. sure grab a chair. Got him as far as drinking a wine, he didn't eat the porkchops though. But it's still my personal victory on IS. Was quite an nteresting conversation.
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-05-2014 at 14:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I would turn that around. All my muslim friends only care about what's for dinner, and are in a pretty bad mood during ramadan. Their parents go to the mosque but that's about it. Those that subject to islam though, whole different thing. Islam is vile, muslims not.
    I believe it depends on how you interpret Islam. Every religion has different types of followers who interpret it differently. Every religion has your hardcore fanatic types. That does not make the religion vile. The individuals interpretation however can be problematic.
    So to be fair neither the religion nor your average practitioner is vile. It's just a select group of people, who would probably have been equally despicable had the been born in any other religion.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    The key point is that people were criticizing Islam, not the perverted interpretation of it by various fundamentalist and jihadists.

At its core, Islam is no more violent or conservative than Christianity. Also, people who criticize Islam fail to take into account plethora of other factors and blame the religion itself for everything that's happening. Homosexuals aren't treated much better in many, predominantly Christian, African countries.

Afleck said nothing much wrong really.
    I only watched the first 2-3 mintues of the video before I got bored.

But, in the part that I did watch, nobody discussed the reasons for the state of islamic countries today. Maher observed that the majority of muslims hold opinions that we would consider intolerant and bigoted. Affleck denies there is any such problem.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I have long thought that the greatest problems with Islam arise not from Islam per se, but from Pre-Islamic Arabian Warlordism.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    I have long thought that the greatest problems with Islam arise not from Islam per se, but from Pre-Islamic Arabian Warlordism.
    Is that another way of saying that the culture is rotten?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    Is that another way of saying that the culture is rotten?
    Don't know that I would go quite that far. Their guesting customs and attitude towards scholars were good. I think we can point to more than a few of their pre-Islamic customs that have not stood the test of time or moral progress (or at least what passes for moral progress among the West).
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I just watched the full clip.

I think Maher went over the top a few times. Then again, that's how everybody knows him and why they love him (or not)
    Kristoff makes some valid points but I find it highly ironic that he objects to the others are making a caricature of Indonesia, Malaysia and such...while in those two countries, apostates from islam are frequently prosecuted and convicted; either for apostasy or under the term "blasphemy".
    Ben Affleck made a fool of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    This might seem like an odd necro, but I just watched this video from Bill Maher's show about liberals failing to criticize Islam and my god did it remind me of what Fragony said here. 10 minutes of Ben Affleck seemingly sticking his head in the sand and ignoring what everyone else was saying, proceeding to call everyone racist.
    How on earth does Ben Affleck count for anything....?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

A Pakistani guy beat me in fantasy football this week

Does that count as assimilation?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    A Pakistani guy beat me in fantasy football this week

Does that count as assimilation?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    How on earth does Ben Affleck count for anything....?
    Decent actor. Unfortunately, in our media culture, this gives him entrée to comment on world politics and the like.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I regularly sit next to a guy called Muhammad (great guy) and he said that there were some monsters in this world, when he commented about IS and Ian Hemming beheading which was just on the news.

I don't see the problem.
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-07-2014 at 18:18.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

You probably missed the part where he looked back into the camera and eerily murmured "...Like meeeeee!" before the scene freeze-framed on his glowing eyes and bloodcurdling grin.

Then this started to play...

Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    But that pre-islamic arabian warlordism appears to have been exported along with Islam - from Morocco to Indonesia all aren't exactly free and pleasant lands.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12