Thread: Demeter’s Refugees: A Baktrian AAR (updated 1/6/14) (on permanent hold)

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Demeter’s Refugees: A Baktrian AAR (updated 1/6/14) (on permanent hold)

Demeter’s Refugees: A Baktrian AAR

Chapter One
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This land is rotten.

It has been this way for five harvest seasons now. Demeter, our goddess of the harvest and fertility of the earth, has clearly cursed this land to throw us out. Famine grips this land, killing our children with wretched hunger as we scrape whatever we can from empty fields where our harvests went to die.

We have no future here, and for this reason, we must leave.

I am Agathon, royal scribe to our Basileus (our word for king), Prochoros.

I have been in the service of the royal family for almost a decade now, having been hired by Prochoros’s father, Basileus Haemon. I have been tasked with recording this perilous journey that we face, a journey that will take us from this diseased land to Hellas, the land of our ancestors. I will record this journey so our children, if the Gods allow, will know of the sacrifices we made so they might have a future on this earth.

So in the early spring of 272 Prochoros began to gather up our forces in preparation. Every able man will be asked to join us for this journey, but Prochoros is forcing nobody to join us. It is a hazardous journey that will take many Baktrian lives, but while we face a probable death travelling to Hellas, it is a certain death if we stay in shadow of the Hindu-Kush mountains. And that is why we must flee before the wrath of an angry goddess, we refugees of Demeter.

More to come soon!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Demeter’s Refugees: A Baktrian AAR

Looking forward to it. What mods are you playing with?

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    Looking forward to it. What mods are you playing with?
    Ah yes, should have mentioned that.

Radious's mods:
    • AI mod
    • battle mod
    • campaign features mod (includes 4tpy)
    • economy and research mod
    • unit packs 1, 2, and 3 (covering all the factions)
    • graphics mod

Dresden's seasons mod, though it is incorporated into the Radious campaign features mod.

Hellbent's Traits, Talents, and Toadies mod, also incorporated into the Radious mods.

Better looking horses and elephants mod

better campaign camera mod

Zoom all the way down! mod (better zooming for battles)

Faction uniform colors mod.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

On the camera mod, if you feel like it just enable debug cam through preferences, it allows for better angles, zooming to infinity and beyond etc.
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

Authors note: sorry for the delay, I am sort of waiting for a Baktrian unit pack to come out for the Radious mod so I am hesitating from making any large updates until it’s released. Plus I have been rather busy as of late but things are calming down so I hope to be able to update more and with much larger updates once the unit pack is released.

Chapter Two

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Basileus Prochoros gathered his top two generals: Diodotos and Chariton.

“The journey ahead of us is a long and perilous one. We cannot survive with just one army, so we shall raise three armies, each one of us commanding one of them. We shall be heading towards the island of Crete, just below Hellas. The island is controlled by the nation of Knossos, but they have no friends, no allies, so we can take it over quickly and use it as a staging area to make Hellas our home.

But while taking Crete will not be a huge challenge, getting there will be much harder.”

Basileus Prochoros brought out a large map of the known world, laying it out on the table. There were three paths on it, each marked in a different color.

“As you can see, I marked each possible path we can take with a different color, and distinguished them as A, B, and C.

Path A has us going south, then boarding ships and going around the Arabian Peninsula, up the Red Sea, landing in Egypt, crossing to the Mediterranean, and finally landing in Crete. This is a dangerous path as it has us at sea for a long time, and we are not a seafaring people. Many lives will be lost, but it is not quite as dangerous as Path B.

Path B goes straight through from our lands to Syria. This is even more dangerous than going by sea, as the Seleucid Empire do not like us very much, and is sure to harass us every chance they get.

Path C is the last one that I could think of. We cross Massagetae lands to the Caspian sea, then we land in the Caucuses, cross into the Black Sea, and sail to Crete. This is also very dangerous, for while there is less land to travel, the Caucuses are not kind to foreigners, and it could mean our total destruction.”

Diodotos and Chariton both looked concerned.

“So Basileus, which path are we going to take?” Chariton asked.

“I do not know, but whichever path we do take, we must all take together. Splitting up will not bode well and will only result in our destruction as a people.”

Diodotos spoke up.

“If I might add, while we do not know anything about ships or anything of the sort, hiring people who do is always an option, and I think that Path A is the best one we have. We can travel far in the naval vessels and we can avoid most enemies, but if we are engaged in combat, that will be our undoing.”

Chariton countered that the ocean was unpredictable, and going with Path C, while slightly more dangerous, had us going over sea much less, and was therefore safer.

In the end, Basileus Prochoros decided that we would take Path A to our new home. One army was already raised in preparation for this journey, and two more are being raised as I write this. I certainly hope that the Basileus is making the right decision about which path to take. I have never sailed on the water before; I hope it is a pleasant experience, but I guess I will find out in due time.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore