Thread: Caesar in Gaul Guide!!!

Default Caesar in Gaul Guide!!!

Hi!

Any tips or first steps for CIG DLC?!...

Thanks

Default Re: Caesar in Gaul Guide!!!

Oh. I thought you HAD a guide for us. lol

Actually just finished the campaign tonight/this morning. Tried a couple of times previously over the holidays but didn't like my progress and restarted. There is a nice little cutscene at the end btw but no specific Steam achievement (though I earn my first military one to add to my culture victory). Unfortunately haven't played Rome 2 much as compared to other TW titles, but I did enjoy this DLC.

Tips you say? Well here is one that I could of used - read the objectives, duh! Seriously, my first two campaigns I focused on the northeastern Gaulic territories when I should have setup a defensive line there and stayed friendly while expanding in the northwestern territories, which I did on my last campaign.

Not sure how easy this will be for the vets, but just playing on Normal and had a terrific Gaulish onslaught coming my way; luckily I just achieved the victory conditions before they could crush my northern holdings. I should mention I like to turtle and build-up a bit before expanding too much. In hindsight I could have formed more mixed armies instead of legions and later cohorts (supported by giant arty) but managed financially as I only needed 4-5 armies to hold my frontline and push north. Had a few friendly Gauls for a long time until everyone turned on me.

All in all the most fun I have had with Rome 2 to date. Had some "hiccups" with sieges, but generally decent AI behaviour. Campaign wise I thought the AI did well, and like I said towards the end you really feel the Gaulish horde coming for you. :) Better and quicker players will probably beat this on higher levels with ease. For those who like to take their time you may find this DLC worth picking up.

Best regards
    Last edited by TargetSlayer; 01-01-2014 at 09:54.

I love CiG as well, very focused and tight compared to the vanilla. I played as a Gaul tribe, still haven't finished it because it kicks me butt. Go figure.

However, I have played over 220 hours in vanilla and have enjoyed it. I stopped playing CiG for now because of:

I am being blown away by the DeI (Divide et Impera) mod. They changed the art, the rosters, the whole feel of the battles, everything. It feels like a standalone expansion that is polished. Really quite amazing. It feels like CA should just hire these guys to test and polish their games...lol

I just completed CIG as the gauls and am now playing as the romans. I found it a little bit of a struggle at first, then easy as pie as soon as I had a solid base. Throughout my entire gaul campaign the romans never declared war on me. It wasn't untill after I'd wiped out every other faction on the map that I turned to them, and even with the whole 'military escelation' thing I wiped them out without breaking a sweat. The trick is confederation. Every time I wanted land and such I would offer the owner confederation,. he would decline, I would declare war, lay siege to a town or destroy an army in the field then offer again. They almost always accept, and usually give me money on top. Even the belgians took my offer after I razed a couple of towns. I ended up with so many statesman from disbanding the stacks I got for confederation I never had to pay for a general once. The hardest fights were against Suebi and Massila, Suebi because the geography of germania is crippling and Massilla because they built up four stacks on an upgraded province capitol and refused to move.

I'll see how it goes as rome, but the key there will be divide and conquer, make frinds of gaulic tribes and get them fighting against each other, then wipe out the ones your not friends with one by one. My biggest difficulty so far with rome was taking a big enough province to build a military production base.
    I was trying to find some help in the ancient military journals of General Tacticus, who's intelligent campaigning had been so successful that he'd lent his very name to the detailed prosecution of martial endeavour, and had actually found a section headed "What To Do If One Army Occupies A Well-Fortified And Superior Ground And The Other Does Not", but since the first sentence read "Endeavour to be the one inside" I'd rather lost heart.

Have to keep your comments in mind when I play as one of the "Gauls."

Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhantra View Post
    I love CiG as well, very focused and tight compared to the vanilla. I played as a Gaul tribe, still haven't finished it because it kicks me butt. Go figure.

However, I have played over 220 hours in vanilla and have enjoyed it. I stopped playing CiG for now because of:

I am being blown away by the DeI (Divide et Impera) mod. They changed the art, the rosters, the whole feel of the battles, everything. It feels like a standalone expansion that is polished. Really quite amazing. It feels like CA should just hire these guys to test and polish their games...lol
    DeI is great but sometimes I think it is too easy, especially the cashflow.

Hi there

I’d previously completed a CIG campaign as Rome on normal with previous patches but returned to the game for patch 1.9.1 to try Rome again on Hard.

In my minor settlements I built the farm and herding ground chains whilst in my capitals I concentrated on having the auxiliary chain and the public order buildings.

My standard campaign legions consisted of 8 Legionaries, 3 Spear Warriors, 4 Legionary Cavalry and 4 Roman Ballista as well as the General and a Champion. In each capital I generally left a smaller lower quality army to deal with rebels and uprisings.

In the first year I prioritised taking the whole of Helvetia with Caesar which brought the funds to continue upgrading Insubria and Liguria. I held back on upgrading Narbonensis as the only minor settlement you start with is at risk of attack in the early game.

Once winter finished it was time to take Caesar across to Narbonensis to take the 2 remaining minor settlements and the capital. This province then become my main troop recruiting centre after upgrading to get legions, auxilia and siege equipment.

Next I moved on to take Aquitania after factions within the province had started wars with me. I rested up again during winter. The following year I started moving through Pictavis and Gergovia and once these provinces were conquered I had a couple of uprisings and 2 of my clients states plus most other factions declared war on me.

I spent the next couple of years conquering my ex client states as well as clearing the rebels and solidifying my position in the lands I had already conquered.

Once my position was stable I took Lutetia and a couple of settlements in Aremorica to win by the military victory.

The main pain in the campaign was trying to beat back the horde of enemy agents. I managed to convert many to my side but once I was at war with everyone they became just too numerous. I ended up just ignoring them and concentrating on defeating each faction in turn to remove the agents from the map.

I realise I could have probably built better to gain more finances but just wanted to keep the game simple.

Rob
    Last edited by YAKOBU; 02-22-2014 at 20:35.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Realize this is a tad late to the party, but hey, whatever. I played the CIG campaign back when it released a couple times up to the point of about 22-26 provinces, in other words rather close to the victory condition. These were campaigns like my current one played as Rome. What I've liked so much about this campaign besides the proper amount of turns per year (12 which allows the seasons, especially winter to have real affect) is the fact that this one plays out almost as if the Shogun 2 realm divide has been implemented only from turn one instead of mid to late campaign. Everyone on the map is hostile to Rome, occasionally they'll sue for peace, but it's only for some breathing room before they declare again. And the stacks that come at you come from all directions and from every possible source. In fact in the campaign where I was only a couple provinces shy I was basically beaten to stand still where I could hold my own against wave after wave of armies counterattacking to a draw but never able to finish them off. That for me was fantastic.

Ok, so, here I am coming back to CIG again, only this time to win. I've taken a slower development/expansion pace this time, made sure I had a completely developed base set of about 8 or so provinces before working to expand, and my expansion is maybe 1 or 2 provinces a year. I conquer, hold, develop, fend off the various wave of attackers, wait during winter doing very little but repair and rearm and then push out again. It's gone well.

I circle back here in the guide section to call out one peace of advice as Rome (seeing as how I've just encountered it), beware what I'll call realm divide part 2 in the form of a Gallic Rebellion which results in armies appearing all over the map in your provinces. Nice little touch that, I had some close scrapes beating this back because a couple of the factions I was already at war with decided this was a good time to push a couple stacks at me on the very same turn.

Anyway, as Rome, word to the wise, anticipate a hard fought battle the whole way on this campaign, one with the additional challenge of a sudden rebellion thrown in for spice mid-late campaign.

Brilliant little DLC this one. I've enjoyed every moment.

Member thankful for this post:

Cazbol 

Throwing stones from afar Member Cazbol's Avatar

This settles it, my next campaign will be the Romans in Caesar in Gaul. Playing the Arverni was one of the best campaigns I've played and this really made me want to try it from the Roman side.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Go for it, it was a blast every time I did it, even when I got overwhelmed by waves of stacks attacking me to a standstill. The 12 turns per year is so cool too, you really do have to take into consideration fighting your campaign during the right time of the year, especially in mountain passes that will decimate you or the enemy if you attempt them in winter time.

All of the DLC in Rome 2 proved to be the game's salvation for me. I really like every one of them. Taking on everyone as Caesar in CIG is just so fitting.