Thread: 10 Nicest Dictators/Tyrants in History

Member Member The Black Douglas's Avatar

Default 10 Nicest Dictators/Tyrants in History

Nazis were always well turned out, uniforms by Hugo Boss no less.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Member thankful for this post:

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: 10 Nicest Dictators/Tyrants in History

The hats on the North Korean generals have always impressed me. Probably 5 times larger than they need to be.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

vietcong wore pyjammas, how can you be bad in nightwear? i bet they would just have had a 'big lads-night in' if boxsets where around in the 60s, instead of getting into fights.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

The tyrants of ancient Greece deserve honorable mention. Ancient Greek armor, with those fancy helmet crests, looked pretty classy.

Ivan the Terrible deserves the booby prize for nailing someone's hat to his head. How is the guy supposed to keep up with the latest fashion in headgear?

I didn't realize when I read the title that this would be a thread about fashion statementsw. :)
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

My personal favorite is Krum the Fearsome, making a cup out of the skull of the Basileos of the ERE. Gold encrusted and all that. Quite useful in diplomatic dinner parties.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy Blue View Post
    The tyrants of ancient Greece deserve honorable mention. Ancient Greek armor, with those fancy helmet crests, looked pretty classy.

Ivan the Terrible deserves the booby prize for nailing someone's hat to his head. How is the guy supposed to keep up with the latest fashion in headgear?

I didn't realize when I read the title that this would be a thread about fashion statementsw. :)

it wasn't really supposed to be 'best dressed dictator' it just kinda went that way.
    i suppose if you're well turned out, people will like you more.
    i kinda meant it to be 'mass murderers with a heart' sort of list.
    Last edited by The Black Douglas; 01-07-2014 at 13:58.

Hugh de Cressingham (died 11 September 1297[1]) was the treasurer of the English administration in Scotland from 1296 to 1297.
    According to legend, his body was flayed by the Scots as he had flayed Scottish war prisoners, and William Wallace made a sword belt out of his skin.
    The Lanercost Chronicle states the Scots dried and cured his hide and
    “ of his skin William Wallace caused a broad strip to be taken from the head to the heel, to make there with a baldrick for his sword.

Not a dictator, but a fashion mile-stone.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A book labelled "The Most Evil Dictators in History" lists:
    Herod the Great
    Genghis Khan
    Shaka Zulu
    Josef Stalin
    Adolf Hitler
    Mao Tse-tung
    Anastasio Garcia Somoza
    Francois 'Papa Doc' Duvalier
    Kim Il Sung
    Augusto Ugarte Pinochet
    Nicolae Ceaisescu
    Pol Pot
    Idi Amin
    Saddam Hussein
    Robert Mugabe

So lets try to find ten dictators which are not listed and put them as the nicer one?
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

How about:

Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus
    Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix
    Gaius Julius Caesar Dictator
    Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
    Anwar Sadat
    Lee Kuan Yew
    Giuseppe Garibaldi
    Alexander Lukashenko

for a start.

Of those, I would tap Cincinnatus as my #1. Handed the job twice, succeeded twice, stepped down and went home twice. Kudos.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Members thankful for this post (2):

Napoleon Bonaparte
    Elizabeth 1
    Indira Ghandi

Were all mostly beneficial and friendly to their subjects. They were also pretty well-dressed, but I think that goes with the territory. One should dress the part.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Lurker Below View Post
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    Elizabeth 1
    Indira Ghandi

Were all mostly beneficial and friendly to their subjects. They were also pretty well-dressed, but I think that goes with the territory. One should dress the part.
    I get Buonaparte, but Becky and Indira were duly next in line/elected and not unconstrained monarchs...so I thought they wouldn't be on the list. What does our OPoster say?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Would Alexander the Great count as a dictator or tyrant? If so, maybe he should be on the "nice" list.

I don't know how Herod Tetrarch made it on the naughty list. AFAIK he is blamed for killing only one person (John the Baptist) and I imagine there is some dispute about whether or not he did even that. Killing someone because he embarasses you isn't exactly nice, but comparted to what some tyrants did, it doesn't add up to much.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy Blue View Post
    Would Alexander the Great count as a dictator or tyrant? If so, maybe he should be on the "nice" list.

I don't know how Herod Tetrarch made it on the naughty list. AFAIK he is blamed for killing only one person (John the Baptist) and I imagine there is some dispute about whether or not he did even that. Killing someone because he embarasses you isn't exactly nice, but comparted to what some tyrants did, it doesn't add up to much.
    Cannot label him as a dictator. He did not obtain power not usually available under the Macedonian system. He was their anointed king and all that. Probably could qualify him as a tyrant. I'd disagree with him being a top ten though -- as a ruler Alexander was a good general.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Cannot label him as a dictator. He did not obtain power not usually available under the Macedonian system. He was their anointed king and all that. Probably could qualify him as a tyrant. I'd disagree with him being a top ten though -- as a ruler Alexander was a good general.
    I was thinking of his reputation for generousity. But I had forgotten that he murdered a good friend who had saved his life. I guess that counts against him getting on the nice dictator list!

Arthur Conan Doyle

It's probably Fidel Castro at No.1,
    I don't really consider him a dictator or tyrant though, i am a bit biased, he is a bit of a hero to me.
    Although he took the country by force, he was no tyrant, and mostly talked wavering troops over to his cause without bloodshed.

He's lovely.

Favorite quote, while meeting The Manic Street Preachers (Musicians from Wales):-

Castro - how do you get on with the Irish?

Manics - Yeah, we get on ok.

Castro - and what about the scots?

Manics - Yeah, Scotland, ok (thumbs up), England though... not so good.

Castro - I didn't ask you about them...
    Last edited by The Black Douglas; 01-10-2014 at 15:07.

10 is kind of lot to come up with, but would the 1st Roman Imperator Augustus apply? He was pretty tame fellow once he got the rule.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Do dictators of internet fora count?

I can be nice...
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

And many moons after this one archaeologist find a headstone from some Dutch village graveyard saying:

"Here lies @Andres . Terror of members, both junior and senior alike. Master of Donjon and Keep. Ruler of front and backroom. Keeper of the secret pron stash and bane of TA´s existence".

Im sure that day you will get to be a target of historical research, oh the one with hangover eyes!
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 01-16-2014 at 16:39.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

why anwar sadat lol

Pervez Musharraf.
    Man was a liar, but then what politician isn't. Pakistan saw relatively peaceful days when he was incharge.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Douglas View Post
    It's probably Fidel Castro at No.1,
    I don't really consider him a dictator or tyrant though, i am a bit biased, he is a bit of a hero to me.
    Although he took the country by force, he was no tyrant, and mostly talked wavering troops over to his cause without bloodshed.

He's lovely.

Favorite quote, while meeting The Manic Street Preachers (Musicians from Wales):-

Castro - how do you get on with the Irish?

Manics - Yeah, we get on ok.

Castro - and what about the scots?

Manics - Yeah, Scotland, ok (thumbs up), England though... not so good.

Castro - I didn't ask you about them...
    Was he referring to the common celtic origin of the Irish/Welsh/Scots?
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

HopeLess From Humanity a World Member Empire*Of*Media's Avatar

Indeed The Nazies were the best! not only uniform but technology and science! they indirectly made USA & Russia the great super powers!

WHY HAVE YOU FORGOT KHOMEINI & KHAMENEI ?! oh! they will hang me if they know i have posted this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    How about:

Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus
    Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix
    Gaius Julius Caesar Dictator
    Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
    Anwar Sadat
    Lee Kuan Yew
    Giuseppe Garibaldi
    Alexander Lukashenko

for a start.

Of those, I would tap Cincinnatus as my #1. Handed the job twice, succeeded twice, stepped down and went home twice. Kudos.

yes for sure..... i mostly agree with MUSTAFA KAMAL ATATURK that butchered Armenians & Kurds & Assyrians & .....his crimes are too many! but no one knows and he is like a god to Turks!!
    Last edited by Empire*Of*Media; 02-20-2014 at 23:06.