Thread: Rust Game

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default Rust Game

Totally awesome alpha. Any players want to add me?
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Default Re: Rust Game

A few friends have this game, and all want me to get it also. I have heard various things, mostly comparative statements to DayZ and Minecraft. Both of which I've played. But, I need more convincing before I sink another $20 on a game. So anybody have Rust and have some honest opinions and impressions to share?
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

By what I've read in various reviews and seen on Youtube, it is either kill or be killed. It seems lot of people are cheating and the most common way of game progression is to be a jerk and loot others who are weaker or eventually be mugged yourself. I feel that would get very frustrating very fast.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

I don't cheat and I have a metal fortress with tacticalgamer.com members. So. Much. Fun.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    I don't cheat and I have a metal fortress with tacticalgamer.com members. So. Much. Fun.
    I did not mean to say that you did. I meant it in a general sense.
    Of course having a metal fortress with a clan must have its advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    Of course having a metal fortress with a clan must have its advantages.
    In a game called Rust?
    This space intentionally left blank

Members thankful for this post (5):

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

It, like many of the recent zombie apoc early access beta forever pay for it before it's done which it will never be survival games could instead of this rather long name just all be called the following:

Griefer Paradise 1
    Griefer Paradise 2
    etc

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    It, like many of the recent zombie apoc early access beta forever pay for it before it's done which it will never be survival games could instead of this rather long name just all be called the following:

Griefer Paradise 1
    Griefer Paradise 2
    etc
    Is it as bad as this? I like the concept of the game and was thinking of getting it but I can't be bothered if all I'm in for is being repeatedly killed near my spawn point
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Are the problems with Rust the kind of thing that a well-moderated server could solve? As in... if I hosted one specifically for interested Orgahs, would that provide a better gameplay experience?

Member thankful for this post:

From what I have understood besides the fact that some people are using loopholes in the game to cheat, at the moment the gameplay consists of large groups monopolizing the resources and mugging anyone who encroaches on their land.
    Don't get me wrong the concept of the game is amazing, it's just that since the game is early in the development there are a few problems that need to be ironed out, which is natural. Specially since IIRC they're a company of less than a dozen people and they have their hands full trying to cope with the overwhelming response.
    Personally I intend to wait and watch how successful they are in handling the cheating problem before I try it.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

DayZ has more in terms of surrender mechanics and such, but Rust does have that more 'craft them up' element.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

From what I have understood besides the fact that some people are using loopholes in the game to cheat, at the moment the gameplay consists of large groups monopolizing the resources and mugging anyone who encroaches on their land.
    This is where Private Servers are good, as you can set up a friendly/sporting community on such, with the public servers, there is high chance of running into such groupings.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Don't get me wrong the concept of the game is amazing, it's just that since the game is early in the development there are a few problems that need to be ironed out, which is natural. Specially since IIRC they're a company of less than a dozen people and they have their hands full trying to cope with the overwhelming response.
    Personally I intend to wait and watch how successful they are in handling the cheating problem before I try it.
    Raj, I wish that you wouldn't. The lawlessness is incredible and, coupled with the early build makes for a really intense experience. I have lost everything countless times is absolutely infuriating attacks on basic decency. I have sheriffed, outlawed, used cunning and attempted to set up a marketplace, only to be blown up and have my based ruined beyond repair.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    Is it as bad as this? I like the concept of the game and was thinking of getting it but I can't be bothered if all I'm in for is being repeatedly killed near my spawn point
    The experience really varies. You need to hide - people who build in open fields are begging to be destroyed. Live like a squirrel, frantically harvesting and building all over the map, just in case you are demolished. Find your own way. It is a blank sandbox which encourages illicit action and/or teamwork.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Or as I described earlier, it's a psychology experiment run by a major university masquerading as a game and all the players mere lab rats tested to see how many times they can be shocked repeatedly and still come back for the cheese. <Insert picture here of Homer repeatedly reaching for a beer and getting shocked>

That you call games in beta games at all is laughable enough, which is probably the first sure sign of gullibility, but that you then pick games like this and DayZ to admire and even go so far as to hand money to the developers for, well, honestly, it's just priceless to witness.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    stuff
    Your response is inane. I've spent 19 bucks on the game and enjoyed it for nearly 80 hours at this point. The purpose of the development and the fact that it has not yet been fully released are irrelevant to the enjoyment receptors in my brain.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 02-23-2014 at 05:29.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks for stopping by, I particularly like the use of the word inane where silly would work just as well. Silly btw was what I was going for, thanks for confirming you "got it" The second sentence needs a bit of work, it appears to be trying too hard at the end w/ the receptors bit.

That you spent 19 bucks on a unfinished game for griefers tells me more about you than the game and merely indicates you'd be a perfect candidate for the experiment, haha.
    Last edited by easytarget; 02-23-2014 at 15:24. Reason: i can't type before coffee

Blog Entries

Why DayZ and Rust do get a lot of bad press for being a glorified game version of the Zimbardo experiment, the reason people are investing in such games as they want to take the next level of Zombie games over the single player kind of State of Decay, Project Zomboid and the fact-pace multiplayer such as Left4Dead series and combine them together so they live in an immersion zombie apocolypse world.

Unfortunately, there are people with questionable morals given the fact it is only a 'game'. By this, death doesn't mean anything. If it was the realworld and your death meant it all, you will quickly find people being a lot more co-operative, unless resources got scarce, then they would rip eachothers throats out.