Thread: A game I would love to find

Default A game I would love to find

Hi everybody,

being quite mad about good ole MTW, I nevertheless would like to play something else as catching as this oldtimer. Before my eyes I have a landscape like in the MTW battles, but on really MUCH bigger scale, Scotland or Bavaria size maybe. Wanting to be a simple, poor Knight, with just a small keep and a village or two, and maybe a handful of (mounted?) men-at arms to keep my people safe. Need to care for my upkeep as well as "schooling" peasants and crafters for better crops and better tools/weapons/armour/buildings. In short terms, a game of "life-building-up-with-tactics-and-strategy".
    Had tried "Mount&Blade", was near it, but was too limiting for my taste.
    Does anyone have a suggestion about a game coming near to my phantasy?!?

Thanks in advance, greetings daigaku

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Default Re: A game I would love to find

Out of all the games I know, M&B is the closest to this.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Tell me when you find it.

Member thankful for this post:

Hi @rickinator9,

Out of all the games I know, M&B is the closest to this.
    As far as I came in my searches, I´d say the same. Still it has limitations not suiting my taste, so I´m trying to find something even nearer. But haven´t got a clue where to search, really. There´s so much rubbish on the market, claiming to be this or that, sometimes the demos even being not too bad (like "WarriorKings"), but if it comes to the point, all crumbles to pieces stuck together by an engine not worth to be named that...

Sorry for my grumbling, but I already spent too much money on BS, so forgive me please.

Any other suggestions are most welcome!

greetings, daigaku

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Braveheart has most of what you want. Unfortunately, it is buggier than Jurassic Park: Trespasser, plays worse than Garry's Incident, and is older than my dead grandma.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Tell me when you find it.
    Ditto.
    I could kill for a game like that.

Also you might want to keep an eye on M&B Bannerlord. It is expanding on the original M&B formula so you might find it less restrictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae View Post
    Braveheart has most of what you want. Unfortunately, it is buggier than Jurassic Park: Trespasser, plays worse than Garry's Incident, and is older than my dead grandma.
    You mean the game based on the movie?
    Last edited by rajpoot; 02-06-2014 at 14:23.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    You mean the game based on the movie?
    Yep.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There are mount and blade mods if they add the content which is missing that you'll enjoy.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Hi to all,

thanks for taking part in this quest.
    @Kekvit Irae: Braveheart could be worth a try, and the game being old is no theme for me - MTW still played on regular base ;-) thanks for the tip...
    @rajpoot: In "Bannerlord", is there independance really granted? And how about building abilities?
    @Tiaexz: Please tell, which version of M&B and which corresponding mods do you mean? I had a go on quite some mods for the old original (with all it´s limitations) and none was satisfactory :-(

I could kill for a game like that.
    Me too. For more than ten years playing the same game, as great as it is, has some drawback. But finding something suiting to my whims as well as MTW is, really, a pain in the ass. All the following titles from RTW on I HATED for the changes in game behaviour and AI stupidity (sorry if someone likes them, everyone his own style). Liking the possibility to wander around in my own province (like in M&B), I´d love a game completely based on that principle. So the search goes on....

Wish a good time everybody, and thanks again,

greetings daigaku

Hello daigaku

I always dreamed a game like that and I can say M&B is the closest one. I know, Mount&Blade isn't perfect, but, still, M&B is one of my favorite game ever. Btw, Mount&Blade 2 is coming, I have huge hope for that game.

Quote Originally Posted by daigaku View Post
    @Tiaexz: Please tell, which version of M&B and which corresponding mods do you mean? I had a go on quite some mods for the old original (with all it´s limitations) and none was satisfactory :-(
    M&B: Warband is the only version you need. It's a stand-alone version of the original, but with bug fixes and new additions, which makes me wonder why they still sell the original M&B. M&B: With Fire And Sword is a horrible, unbalanced mess. The only changes that version makes is the introduction of firearms, controllable trade caravans, and a real world setting. You can see TotalBiscuit's first impressions of the game here.

As for Warband mods, try taking a look around here. Also, Napoleonic Wars is available as a DLC for Warband if you want some sweet, sweet Napoleonic multiplayer action.
    Last edited by Kekvit Irae; 02-07-2014 at 08:48.

Hi @Kekvit Irae,

Might have a go at it. One prob is that my game rig for newer games is strictly not connected to WWW, so I´ll have the same activation bull**** as with the original one (maybe being too old to like that stuff ;-)), but I might solve that.
    Gunpowder era isn´t my favourite, so I´ll for sure stick to the original, maybe with some mod not using firearms as well. Being an all-time single player, the MP-feature is of no interest, but if game stability and more SP options are granted, it´s fine.

Thanks for your help,

greetings from Wild Southwest Germany, daigaku

M&B (and Warband) allows manual activation if you have no access to the internet on your gaming rig.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=12982.0

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

you could try Dynasty Warriors, but I guess you will find it too limiting too :(

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    you could try Dynasty Warriors, but I guess you will find it too limiting too :(
    That has to be the worst succesfull series ever. Especially the music is enough reason for not granting the ninth strike.

Hi,
    @Kekvit Irae:Had a go with "Warband" Demo this weekend. What has changed for the SP, except some colours, and an additional faction? Still the same stupid little faults (like cattle driving), the battle interface even less worth to be talked about, the available mods nearly the same as the older game....Don´t know if that´s worth my nerves ;-))
    Thanks nevertheless for your suggestions!
    @The Stranger: What´s this game about? Haven´t found a demo yet to give it a try, so no idea what´s happening there...could you give me a clue, please?
    @Fragony: THAT bad really?!? Tell more, if you care, please.

thanks to all of you,

greetings daigaku

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Members thankful for this post (2):

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

That looks awesome. I've never funded a kick-starter... I might have to start. I'm particularly intrigued by this:
    On top of that, the whole thing is based on real-time physics and inverse kinematics, so when you hit something, your hands and weapon, not just your target, react accordingly

Best be careful. The last big sword fighting game CLANG already seems to have fallen in development hell. And they don't seem to be planning to refund anything.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

After getting burnt hard by Takedown, I have little faith in kickstarter games anymore.

Hi @Catiline,

...only here and now having learned about "kickstart" (normally my imagination says motorbikes ;-))

What is to be seen there seems to be what I´m looking for! Starting as a blacksmith (hopefully with the perspective to learn so much to make famed weapons and armour), a whole open world...could become the first game since MTW to catch me for longer than a few months. Thanks for the link.

looking-forward-greetings, daigaku

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

It does look good - we'll have to see if it delivers - it seems better set than a lot of kickstarters in the sesne they say they have other financing apparently secured. I might take a chance and punt 20 quid at it
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Wanting to be a simple, poor Knight, with just a small keep and a village or two, and maybe a handful of (mounted?) men-at arms to keep my people safe. Need to care for my upkeep as well as "schooling" peasants and crafters for better crops and better tools/weapons/armour/buildings. In short terms, a game of "life-building-up-with-tactics-and-strategy".

I'm not sure this game promises that kind of mechanic though. From the Q&A:

You described the game also as a sandbox but how much sandboxy is going to be? Can I buy castles or run an army for example?Many people wonder how much of a sandbox our sandbox is going to be. You will be able to solve quests in multiple ways, kill most of NPCs or influence their day/night cycles. We have a complex system of reputation, relationships and law. You can influence local economy to an extent (price of goods).
    The player’s character is going to have a place to stay and live, but you will not be able to buy and sell real estate. Nor you can control other characters. Companions/henchmen have their own AI and they are quest-specific. Your character will develop relationships with NPCs.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

try fable 2/3, it also has magic and such, but at the same time it has alot of what you want, even though its probably too restricting again, and the combat/interection with npc is simple.

you probably cant find a demo for dynasty warriors because its a console game.

the kickstarter game looks awesome, but seeing they still have 1 year to go, and that other games have collapsed after collecting 500k... :( i hope this one gets finished!

i guess thats a pre for big companies, they also deliver inferior products, but if u have paid inferior is better than nothing XD
    Last edited by The Stranger; 02-11-2014 at 23:53.

We do not sow.

Might be a contender in some areas at least http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...edieval-combat

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    try fable 2/3
    Nooooo! Don't go near Fable 3, it is awful! It is totally indescribably awful, and this is from a person who bought an Xbox for the sole purpose of Fable 1 and had Fable 3 on collectors edition pre-order. Avoid that game!
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Nooooo! Don't go near Fable 3, it is awful! It is totally indescribably awful, and this is from a person who bought an Xbox for the sole purpose of Fable 1 and had Fable 3 on collectors edition pre-order. Avoid that game!
    Yahtzee summed up my thoughts about Fable 3 quite nicely. (Language and spoiler warning, duh)

Avoid Fable 3 like the plague. Fable 2... eh, it's ok-ish but not great.

Fable 1 and 2 are entertaining but forgettable overall. Annoying how whatshisface always promises the world, and never delivers.