Thread: old mainboard

Default old mainboard

Hi to all hardware addicts,

for sentimental reason I´m looking for an old Mainboard - ABIT BX 133Raid. Anybody wants to get rid of one? Maybe with a 1GHz Coppermine on it ;-)) ? Being an absolute fan of BX chipset, I´d like to build a "new old box" only for MTW and comparably old games. So if anyone, preferably from Germany (shipping cost), would let go one of these, please write.

Thanks in advance, greetings daigaku

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: old mainboard

There seem to be a few used models available ...

Member thankful for this post:

Hi @Lemur,

yes, the one or other turns up - but, I must say, for mostly quite ridiculous prices. And a not-too-high priced american one costs up to 45€ shipping! Found the ASUS counterpart (CUBX 1.2) last year for 30€, but this CMD controller isn´t the real thing honestly.

Hoped one of the (preferrably german) players around here has lying around this piece of great hardware and doesn´t use it anymore....

thanks for the effort,

greetings daigaku

Any old motherboard you buy from that era may have bad electrolytic capacitors, so I would advise caution (I bought two pieces of crap off ebay a few years ago...). The board driving the PC which I am now using has at least one, but is still functioning (for now). The symptoms are bulging tops and brown crispy discharge (electrolytic caps have the appearance of small batteries attached to the motherboard).

When I bought the last of those two faulty motherboards I asked the seller to confirm if they were bulging/leaking and he said it was ok - on delivery and inspection it was clear that it was not the case and he refunded my money. It's also a good idea to ask if they've tested it, when and if it was fully working.

I've also found that integrated wired NIC chipsets tend to fail after a few years on some motherboards, but the board itself remains functional, so if there is one on board and if it's important, it's a good idea to ask if they've tested it.

Just some general advice from experience, take it or leave it.