Thread: upcoming release

Default upcoming release

with the upcoming release maybe it´s time to create some contests like who can draw the best horse and photoshop and so forth and give prizes in the way of allowing people to beta test the game

you might even find a few dudes who can help out a bit and ofc crate hype for the mod for when it´s ready

all you trully need is a good comunity manager who can post and spam around

Default Re: upcoming release

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    with the upcoming release maybe it´s time to create some contests like who can draw the best horse and photoshop
    Oh lordy, images of the white horse of uffington spliced with Leonidas...
    X3 From The Blacksmith, d'Arthez and The King for my Keltoi reproductions and dressing up.

I'm always around here lurking in the shadows; not as easy as it sounds when wearing this much shiny iron :)

Member thankful for this post:

If you want to create hype and interest, you could try to get Total Biscuit to cover it.
    He has covered some mods recently.

Quote Originally Posted by cahtush View Post
    If you want to create hype and interest, you could try to get Total Biscuit to cover it.
    He has covered some mods recently.
    While I think more hype should be made about this mod there are a couple of problems with that. I don't think TBs fans really overlap to heavily with EB and I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he normally dislikes playing strategy games and only covered R2 because of the fuss that was being made about it

Although I like TBs videos, I have to agree that this probably isn't the best game for his channel. I think Quill18 would be a lot better choice since he likes strategy games in general, although I can't remember him doing any total war stuff before.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyNinja View Post
    While I think more hype should be made about this mod there are a couple of problems with that. I don't think TBs fans really overlap to heavily with EB and I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he normally dislikes playing strategy games and only covered R2 because of the fuss that was being made about it
    Where did you hear that?
    He certainly likes to play strategy games, he even owns a Starcraft 2 team.
    And about Rome 2 he didn't intend to cover it was because of his SEGA boycott, rather than him not liking strategy. While Medieval 2 was published by SEGA, since this is a mod an exception would be likely.

While the overlap may or may not be huge (considering it's a PC specific channel it should be somewhat sizable), the size of his channel will make even a relatively small one be quiet a large amount of people.
    And add to that the recent disappointment of Rome 2 I think the interest will be higher.

Totalbiscuit has stated that he does not take requests. Lets hope the mod gets big enough!
    "It is better to die as a roman than to live as a barbarian"
    "He who gives everything for Rome, can still give his life"
    "Through the enslaving, expelling, occupying or bribing of our enemies. We prevail."
    (Stolen blatantly from the "Dawn of war" Games!)

Quote Originally Posted by teoman10 View Post
    Totalbiscuit has stated that he does not take requests. Lets hope the mod gets big enough!
    I think it will, the original EB got some exposure in some gaming magazines in Europe back in the day, and I cannot think of any other mod that has been this long in development, it is special no doubt about it.

My silly suggestion:

To generate buzz, have one of the project beta testers, who also happens to have the video and voice skills, do a series of in-depth "tutorial" vids to put up on Youtube a week or so before going public.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    My silly suggestion:

To generate buzz, have one of the project beta testers, who also happens to have the video and voice skills, do a series of in-depth "tutorial" vids to put up on Youtube a week or so before going public.
    Actually, this is a good suggestion. However, rather than a tutorial, we use the format of a "Let's Play". @Kull would be the best for this IMHO; due to the many many campaigns he's done while general bug hunting. Unless of course everyone prefers @abou 's confident timbre.
    "The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." -Tucholsky

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RAWROMNOM View Post
    Unless of course everyone prefers @abou 's confident timbre.
    I find it to be a bit wooden.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    I find it to be a bit wooden.
    He's got quite the bark.
    Last edited by RAWROMNOM; 03-04-2014 at 12:14.
    "The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." -Tucholsky

i guess that the original wierdness i felt when i made this thread and got unconforting feedback as disapeared

it would also be interesting to do such things in french dutch deustch arabic farsi turkish and a few more languages that are normally kind of ignored (not everyone speaks english you know) and that are normally don´t have such atractive input on their region such as the bohemians and the boii for instance i mean the mod as great potencial in the arab world poland (luigii) switzerland and a few other places normally neglected in the gaming world

i say this because i once bought a game just for the hype of it regarding a specific time and a specific time period just to discover that the game was kind of a rip off from age of empires set in a diferent timeframe and wasn´t even userfriendly (historians making games when they aren´t properly suported do suck) so a litle time love and tenderness and some specific shinning on peoples ego do go along way to increase the adhesion factor for specific regions

the downside of such an aproach is that normally the people doing the adhesion (gathering on the gangwaggon so to speak) aren´t normally the leveled headed dudes and it sometimes can deteriorate into chauvinistic and nationalistic arguments such as the one´s we´ve seen back in eb1 when the lusitanii where picked over the celtiberians and alot of feelings from a few spaniards where hurt (altough it did took the form of presenting alternatives like the illergetes wich i enjoyed reading quite a bit)

so if properly planed and orchestered this mod as the potencial to go even bigger then rometotalwar2 in quite a few places and countries (belgium comes to mind particulary if in a later release the atrebates or the nervii get included )

Quote Originally Posted by teoman10 View Post
    If not TotalBiscuit, there are other large Youtubers that love Strategy and the Total War Series. I'm thinking AngryJoe, Quill18, Arumba, Lionheratx10, DiplexHeated, Unit Lost... Heck, just with AngryJoe there's 1,3 million subscribers. And I'm sure they could showcase the mod, even if it's only a 20 minute video.

"My advice to you is: get married. If you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher."

Member thankful for this post:

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

AngryJoe reviewing would be pretty awesome, I would just be terrified about what he would say

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Brigantium, Artabria, dangerously close to the sea

I could plug the thing in Spanish, I can even do swearwords, I'm good at those.

Apropos of nothing in particular, has anyone considered setting up a blog? Something along the lines of the Twitter but with a bit more depth.

Just a thought. (Now I'll get on with my swearwords: "repeat everyone, me cago en todo lo que se menea!")

Quote Originally Posted by sirtim View Post
    I could plug the thing in Spanish, I can even do swearwords, I'm good at those.

Apropos of nothing in particular, has anyone considered setting up a blog? Something along the lines of the Twitter but with a bit more depth.

Just a thought. (Now I'll get on with my swearwords: "repeat everyone, me cago en todo lo que se menea!")
    I honestly don't think that, in the day and age of Social Media behemoths, with the likes of Facebook and Twitter dominating the Web, that a blog would help to spread the word.

If only there was some kind of video-hosting site that has a massive audience and features many gaming channels...
    Last edited by TiagoJRToledo; 03-06-2014 at 20:18.

"My advice to you is: get married. If you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher."

Actually, this is a good suggestion. However, rather than a tutorial, we use the format of a "Let's Play". @Kull would be the best for this IMHO; due to the many many campaigns he's done while general bug hunting. Unless of course everyone prefers @abou 's confident timbre.
    Ask both if they'd be willing to undertake the mission. Have one do one for a major faction, and one for a minor. Choose factions based on differences in play style.

a blog is always usefull is like a twitter but with content in it instead of the usual random talk where the only content we can derive from it is that dude needs to get laid that girl should get a penicilin shoot just in case and seriously it might be just me but psicologist are in high demand and some people need to keep taking their pills

ofc we already have most of what a blog would provide right here in the forum i don´t believe it´s closed i stayed around for a year or two before signing up and i always had acess to the content and only created an account cause of a really cool aar that i believed was worth the effort of creating an account to give the dude his kudos

also an inicial aproach should be broad and generic more focused on the balance wich factions are there strategic points and resources a few of tux and gustave great work what diferentiates from other mods or original games and overall description of the cultures and why is it important to distinguish them a small explination of the political climate the sucessor wars how was life in the steppes how was europe evolving (keltic pre-feudalism) and how the control of the mediterranean trade routes was gearing towards an inevitable war beteween the poeni and the italians and how that was encroaching on the greek world

then translate it into as many languages as possible all unoficially ofc sub titles can work just as well imho

and depending on the acceptance go for all the factions possibly with the launching of a kind of opening video contest for each faction those where pretty popular back in eb1 time and it´s content creation that can be outsourced since in the end it´s the historians who gotta pick the best one for each faction and wich will be included in the game

then with the opening videos for each faction create a acurate and lenthy video about each faction talking everything from possibilities to the curent political organisation army composition land and geography kind of alliances they prefered and so forth

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    AngryJoe reviewing would be pretty awesome, I would just be terrified about what he would say
    Considering his recent contributions, in regards to Total War, he has offered what I think is very fair criticism. I'm sure he's knowledgeable of EB1. The fact that everyone (well except for a few) understands that they are receiving years of man-hours in content for free, I think the criticism we'd receive from him and his subscribers would be nothing less than constructive, which is definitely the kind we NEED.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Good. Now that I've gotten you softened up, here's my hidden agenda type suggestion...

Recruit a new member that's got the necessary vid production skills. Have him start *now* on a sort of dev diary youtube vid production. Let us fans watch as things progress. Let our enthusiasm bring in more fans prior to launch.

Then, just prior to launch, release the "lets play" vids to really ramp up the greed... erm, I mean, excitement for release.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    Good. Now that I've gotten you softened up, here's my hidden agenda type suggestion...

Recruit a new member that's got the necessary vid production skills. Have him start *now* on a sort of dev diary youtube vid production. Let us fans watch as things progress. Let our enthusiasm bring in more fans prior to launch.

Then, just prior to launch, release the "lets play" vids to really ramp up the greed... erm, I mean, excitement for release.
    Yeah, I like the Dev Diary idea, like the ones Paradox does.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiagoJRToledo View Post
    Yeah, I like the Dev Diary idea, like the ones Paradox does.
    I think you should just find some strategy game lets players on youtube and send them requests. You should also send out press releases to major gaming sites like Rock Paper Shotgun, Joystiq, and Escapist.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009