Thread: Who started WW1

Default Who started WW1

An interesting summary from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26048324
    More telling might be the absence of any mention of the Allied nations ;P
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Who started WW1

I see the first guy on the list says Germany. I think that is not just simplistic but also uninformed and pretty idiotic.

Serbia, with our without civil government knowledge was training terrorists. These terrorists killed the Austrian Crown Prince. From that point Austria was committed to punishing Serbia and likely incorporating it into their empire.

From that point it was Russia who wanted more influence in the region, France who wanted revenge on Germany, and Britain who felt Germany was mustering in on their turf.

Germany was boneheaded when it came to preventing the war but they sure were one of the lesser players in starting hostilities.

The trouble with the history of WW I is that everyone still wants to believe all the nonsensical propaganda put out by their side.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Members thankful for this post (2):

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

I blame capitalism.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    I blame capitalism.
    I have a link to a very short book on that very subject. More an essay really. Only about 8 pages on the pc.

It was written by an American Marine Corps General. He was a two time winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, to boot.

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/...racket.html#c1

Mark Twain

Members thankful for this post (3):

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Those historians in the OP's article who come from/work in Britain blame anyone but good old Blighty, the others have a more balanced view. What a surprise.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    I have a link to a very short book on that very subject. More an essay really. Only about 8 pages on the pc.

It was written by an American Marine Corps General. He was a two time winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, to boot.

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/...racket.html#c1
    Read "small wars" by Max Boot. Smedly Butler was awe-inspiring.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    Those historians in the OP's article who come from/work in Britain blame anyone but good old Blighty, the others have a more balanced view. What a surprise.
    Because Britain is clearly the cause of it all,

I mean, they funded the assassination, sent the declaration of war from Austria to Serbia via the Royal Mail, using the royal connections further to cause postal delays so the Tsar and Kaiser to go to war with eachother, then they secretly even convinced the 'Kaiser' that good ol' Blightly won't join the war if they steamroll over Belgium and do a pre-emptive strike against France.

Yes... those biased historians all have it wrong. Shame on them.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post

I mean, they funded the assassination, sent the declaration of war from Austria to Serbia via the Royal Mail, using the royal connections further to cause postal delays so the Tsar and Kaiser to go to war with eachother, then they secretly even convinced the 'Kaiser' that good ol' Blightly won't join the war if they steamroll over Belgium and do a pre-emptive strike against France.

Winnie was younger then and feeling his oats a bit. After all, he had Jellicoe and this spiffy navy and cock-all to do with it....
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Actually, I do wonder what the case against Great Britain is. Did they do something wrong, or is it just a case of there is so much blame to spread around and not enough people to pin it all on?
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Great Britain had a problem with Germany becoming an economic power to challenge them.

Germany didn’t help matters by building a modern fleet (for the time). Britain was looking for an excuse to get involved. Naturally they had to teach their upstart cousins that to challenge them was folly.

However, the real cause of the wider war was France. Their thirst for vengeance was the real cause.

Of course any one of the powers acting like an adult rather than a spoiled child would have upset the balance and defused the situation.

It has to be one of the stupidest wars of all time. Every participant should feel a sense of shame.

As for Britain, they had two ways of ending the conflict before it started.

1) The could have said unconditionally they supported France, thus giving Germany pause before a preemptive strike.

2) They could have said we are under no circumstances getting involved. This would result in France biting off more than they could chew and being more open to a diplomatic solution.

By doing neither they allowed the situation to escalate. They wanted Germany humbled but mostly they wanted to stop its economic expansion.

In some ways this makes Britain one of the worst opportunists of the war, along with Italy and Japan.

Mark Twain

Steps they could have taken that might avert war hardly qualify as "Who started WW1?"

GB already had hers.

Look to the east end of the continent. Austria jealously tried to hang on to what they had left, and the Germans/Russians jealously wanted some more for themselves. France needed to get over being so butthurt. The stomping they took a generation earlier was so decisive they should have just let those memories die.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Of course any one of the powers acting like an adult rather than a spoiled child would have upset the balance and defused the situation.
    I don't see how any behavior on the part of Turkey or America, no matter how adult, could have prevented the war. They might have avoided getting into the war, if they had been more mature, but that is a different matter.

As for Britain, they had two ways of ending the conflict before it started.

1) The could have said unconditionally they supported France, thus giving Germany pause before a preemptive strike.

2) They could have said we are under no circumstances getting involved. This would result in France biting off more than they could chew and being more open to a diplomatic solution.

By doing neither they allowed the situation to escalate. They wanted Germany humbled but mostly they wanted to stop its economic expansion.

In some ways this makes Britain one of the worst opportunists of the war, along with Italy and Japan.
    1: If Britain had offered unconditional support for France, that would have encouraged the French to seek out an opportunity for war.

2: If Britain had said that they would not get involved under any circumstances, that might encourage Germany to go to war with France, and we would be blaming the British for giving the Germans a "blank check."

I'm not saying that Britain's government was any more mature than anyone elses. I'm just saying that I don't see how the British were supposed to know ahead of time what policy would most likely result in peace. To know that, they would have to know exactly how each government would respond to any given situation.
    Last edited by Brandy Blue; 02-15-2014 at 06:29.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

An arms race and continued expansionist, aggressive policies were not the policies a peace-seeking government would enact. All the great powers of the time were determined to expand, it was bound to happen.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.

[QUOTE=El All the great powers of the time were determined to expand, it was bound to happen.[/QUOTE]

This. It was pretty heady times; all went to war eyes wide open and reasonably sure of gaining something. Basically they all voted: Yes to rolling the dice, with dreams of filthy lucre floating in their heads.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy Blue View Post
    I don't see how any behavior on the part of Turkey or America, no matter how adult, could have prevented the war. They might have avoided getting into the war, if they had been more mature, but that is a different matter.

The Americans got involved due to a number of reasons. Wilson and an number of his people in government wanted the war and were looking for ways to get into it that the people would except.

Those more reluctant were finally convinced, just as Smedly Butler said, because they were protecting their moneyed interests from a default on the debt.

1: If Britain had offered unconditional support for France, that would have encouraged the French to seek out an opportunity for war.

2: If Britain had said that they would not get involved under any circumstances, that might encourage Germany to go to war with France, and we would be blaming the British for giving the Germans a "blank check."

I'm not saying that Britain's government was any more mature than anyone elses. I'm just saying that I don't see how the British were supposed to know ahead of time what policy would most likely result in peace. To know that, they would have to know exactly how each government would respond to any given situation.
    Actually Germany did more than the others to avert the war. Getting France and Austria to the table was a problem.

Germany did not want and did not expect to fight Great Britain. Their great naval build up was because they feared British power and they knew they couldn’t match it.

Both sides were arrogant and stupid. Germany may have been the most arrogant and stupid but it is a fine line.

The 5 main European Powers, GB, France, Russia, Germany, & Austro-Hungary were all worried about their Prestige. Italy was in it because they wanted to play with the big boys. They were too weak to do anything on their own. They had a treaty with Austria but wanted Austrian lands.

I am not even going into what happened in the Balkans. That is a bag of worms I am not sure even all of them understand.

Germany is technically guilty of issuing the first DOWs but it was already underway by then and it was only doing the obvious.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post

Well, that's a classic example of a strawman. Why do you put words in my mouth, Mr. Tiaexz?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    Well, that's a classic example of a strawman. Why do you put words in my mouth, Mr. Tiaexz?
    It was more the lack of evidence other than a opinion on the matter. I was fabricating said evidence in a silly manner to make the opinion valid. No harm intended.
    Last edited by Beskar; 02-16-2014 at 05:53.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."