Thread: I am becoming soft?

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Default I am becoming soft?

I am becoming soft? I reached 55 this month.
    I went for 5 years as a professional soldier, survived the training where more of half of the initial platoon failed. I went in 3 wars, saw a lot of things I wish I wouldn’t but I went over the smell of the blood, the bullets flying and rockets falling.

However, I find myself hit by feelings when watching movies or…. playing games.

The first symptom appeared in watching Black Hawk Down, when the 2 soldiers knowingly went to their death because it was what they were met to do because who they were. I put it on the fact that I could identify with them.
    Then it became “worst”: Mass Effect came in my life and dialogues, stories tellers and scenes made me cry… Really cry… The scene of Shepard’s last night brought back memories and the Greek Tragedy unfolded by the run to death of my Commander Shepard, or the dialogue at Thanes’ death bed…
    So, Bioware good stories tellers (and dialogues’ writers should roast slowly for their efficiency) or am I becoming softer when becoming older?

Well, I don’t suppose some will have the answer, but feel free to comment.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Member thankful for this post:

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: I am becoming soft?

Well I'm only 24 and I don't have your life experiences, but maybe it has something to do with emotional maturity?

Before I hit adulthood (in my case I would say 21, a bit of a late developer) I had no understanding of emotional things, nothing had any effect on me. I was the quiet kid that everybody thought had Asperger's Syndrome - very mechanically minded.

I guess hormones or whatever have kicked in and changed me because now I flip wildly from one emotion to the other and am forever amazed by the beauty and complexity of abstract things. I can now appreciate things like scenery and music and family when I thought nothing of those things before. Recently I've been having many dreams that I can best describe as 'bittersweet' and they put me in a strange hazy and reflective state for the whole of the next day - I just walk around like I am still in a dream.

Whether or not somebody could still be maturing at your age, I don't know. Maybe you are allowing yourself to feel again after being desensitized as a soldier?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Can't imagine what you have been through. Don't know if you are getting soft. I would imgagine that I would be sick of violence if I would have actually seen it. Can't know, hope that stays that way.

Before I hit adulthood (in my case I would say 21, a bit of a late developer) I had no understanding of emotional things, nothing had any effect on me.
    The opposite for me. I have no regard for aesthetics now (though I will still masturbate to images that I find sexually arousing).

I recall crying empathetically at vignettes of 9/11 survivors, in 2001.

More relevantly, when I killed Bastila in KOTOR 1 I had to leave the room to cry for about 20 minutes.

Now, I stare blankly past it all.

One might consider it inherently egocentric.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

My fault: I went in war not as a soldier but as a Charities Worker (I was a professional Soldier before). It doesn’t change the violence and the bullets but it means I didn’t have to shoot back (so not involved in killing). The counter balance of this is I couldn’t protect (only passively, in being there) the victims, even if sometimes I wished I could have. And I knew how.

The other thing is I did actually enjoy the thrill, the adrenalin rush of going through danger. I was hard. I was able to sustain emotionally charged duties and was able to deal with dangerous situations without too much hurt for myself.

The surprise is now. I was able to see without too much feeling bodies blacken in the sand (don’t take me wrong, it was a bad experience) or was able to deal with the misery of hundreds of refugees in the Bosnian Refugees, but today I am crying (not always, the story has to be good) in front of a good movie or/and, more surprisingly, a game. A game is made by characters in pixels. Human actors can replicate emotions as they know them, but a game, even if vastly improved from the 1990…
    So, do the movies or the game(s) pull stings that resonate with my experience, do they bring to the surface submerged and supressed feeling (i.e. in We were Soldiers, the moment I feel the most is the morning when they go to the buses, early in the morning, in this fogy night that hesitates to become a day), or I just become soft?
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Is being a softie such a bad thing. I am not hard, couldn't be a soldier, nor would I be able be able to cope with the myserie of a warzone. The Lion King gutted me. After Million Dollar Baby they could mob me up and throw me in a bucket. I am moved to tears really easily. Not a bad quality imo. Do have to cope with my friends ridiculing me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    So, do the movies or the game(s) pull stings that resonate with my experience, do they bring to the surface submerged and supressed feeling (i.e. in We were Soldiers, the moment I feel the most is the morning when they go to the buses, early in the morning, in this fogy night that hesitates to become a day), or I just become soft?
    I think there must be something to this. Memories triggering reactions in the brain. I recall a bad tornado movie causing the tears to flow uncontrollably, and the closest I had been to a tornado was at age 8, while I was in the basement and our roof got torn off. I did not cry at age 8, but 20 years later the memory of that stupid event got the better of me. We are soft, and squishy, but it's ok. It confirms we're human.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

By your definition.I have always been a softie. I have always had a quick emotional reactions, no matter what emotion at hand. I can hide my emotions to some extent, some feelings better then other, but older i get, less i care to do so. The last thing i want is to turn into an emotionless brick. In such case i just might as well be dead.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 02-26-2014 at 17:13.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Member thankful for this post:

It's not unusual.
    Since I hit 50 and over, many things make me weep that I would have ignored.
    No idea why, its just the new normal for me.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

As a long time solider and leader, shedding a tear does not make you weak.

It depends on what makes you cry.

The things that made me chock up were admiration for the deeds of others, pride in spirit and tradition, and moving tributes. I have also cried for joy a time or two.

Injustice and praying on the weak make me boil with anger. Very strong emotions can do different things to different people. It is how you handle them and what you do with those feelings that matters.

I don’t know that being older does it. Maybe it is just being more in touch with your own emotions has the effect.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Members thankful for this post (2):

No it doesn't make you weak, but it does make you different from what you were before.
    I suspect (with no definitive proof) it is more biological/chemical than anything else, and is nothing new
    Male-menopause? for least researched "thing" ever?
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Emotional reaction to anything depends on how heavily one is invested in that thing. I guess it is a credit to the movie and to Bioware that their work managed to get you engrossed enough to elicit such a strong reaction from you.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Take refuge in the apparent fact that we are the weaker sex (at least conforming to one measure of robustness)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...he-weaker-sex/
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Brenus, you know, in sailing there is a saying: 'The right moment to reef is when you're wondering if it's the right moment to reef.' So if you feel yourself becoming more sentimental it is probably so. Are you capable of the detachment you had in the past to get a job done? Absolutely possible.

Exploring the reasons behind the sentimentality you're describing is another matter. It could be - and in my experience this is the most common one - that you recognise some of yourself in your youth, and you miss your younger self. Perhaps it's the idealism, or energy, or having nothing to lose. I couldn't tell you.

There is nothing wrong with that though, so you can understand what lies behind it, and accept it. All part of getting wiser.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Members thankful for this post (4):