Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hannibal at the Gates Campaign Pack

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Default Re: Hannibal at the Gates Campaign Pack

Nah, whatever floats your boat man. But like I said, I do consider them more fun than the GC, so there is that additional upside should you decide to play them.

I was hoping to hear some feedback on HatG. It's been a long time since I've played, and since I've posted here, so forgive me for the length.

To make a long story short, I think it was Patch 4 that broke the game for me around Christmas time. Patch 5 made it worse and I uninstalled, sad day.Anyways, newer system + 5 or 6 more patches and it works again. I decided to roll with HatG because I guess my Sparta GC (that was about 85% done) didn't want to work.

I like how small and concise the campaign is. When I think about starting a new GC I get exhausted. HatG is a nice break from that. I'm not sure if CiG is the same way. I bought that as well, and I might try that next. That or a Lusitania campaign. Overall though I'm a little let down.

After 7 or so hours of playtime I keep asking myself: "This it?".It's really just a short victory conditions GC with only a handful of factions. I haven't really kept up with Total War since I stopped playing Rome 2 in December, so I didn't have a lot of information about the expac going into it. I expected it to be more history driven. I know the game is revisionist history, but I was expecting the goals to be much more historically focused... I guess. Like why not have a little Hannibal in the top left instead of a Roman telling me what to do?

As a disclaimer I am playing on Normal just because it's been a while, but to my surprise the AI still has potato brains? Early on in the campaign I was stressed to no end because you start out at war with almost everyone, and your client states are at war with everyone and asking for your help to fight... everyone. That stress would quickly fade because no one ever attacked me. It seems like the campaign AI is just building stacks in their city, and that's about it. There was a good bit of AI on AI aggression, but I've never really felt challenged. Again this could totally be because it's normal, and don't worry next campaign I'll do legendary all the way. The only real aggression I've incurred has been rebels because I've gone back to the old ways of -- Leave 2 units of pike men in the city and F happiness F squalor, who cares. The campaign has essentially been; Make a stack and scorch earth until you're bored.

I guess I was just hoping for a little more or a little uniqueness. The new civil tree is, okay, I guess. Kinda like going to a convention and getting a pen as swag. This might change some when I play as another faction, but the factions all seem to be similar relative to there geographical spot. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone at the $15 price point. It feels more $8.99 or even $9.99.

It's fun to be able to actually load the game again though. I still really enjoy the simplicity of city management, and how recruiting and agents work. It just still feels like I'm playing an unfinished game though :(. Which is a heart breaker 6 months after release. It's giving me a real hankering to play some Shogun 2.
    I like to stream

Member thankful for this post:

I purchased Hannibal at the Gates last week. I was tempted by CiG, but that's been out for a while so is likely to be on sale sooner than HatG. I'm 75% through my first campaign as Carthage on Hard and am really enjoying it - I've had some really good mini-campaigns against small tribes.

When I moved against Massillia, in a single turn I ambushed two medium armies, eliminating them. Then I moved against two full armies in a field battle, catching and destroying one army as they crossed the field as reinforcements, before choosing to retire from the field. I immediately assaulted and destroyed the remaining full army, before assaulting the town.

The new diplomatic tech tree is a good idea - but still no-one will be my friend! On the plus side, with the reduced map, it's filling out my desire for Short Victory Conditions!

ETW Steam: Little Fox Member mini's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
    LOL, CA's totally lost it. I quite literally cannot believe the balls on these people. This game can't even provide players with working fundamentals 6 months after release and they wanna charge for more expansions that add a few trinkets to the game that should've already been there from the start? What happened to this company man?
    greed happened :)

and it's working. people keep buying this crap.
    So don't expect it to get better with future games

Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar

No no you are right. It's not going to improve at all. What they are doing now, cheap eye candy games without souls, is working best for them. With the minimum amount of labour and passion they are making big money. So they will just keep doing that. They have managed to create a new gamer base formed by young people and casual gamers so they don't care about the old, core fans of the game. We are a dying breed and they know it. So they are just shovelling up the dirt over the grave. I mean look at the org. It's sadly becoming a ghost town. That's because it had the oldest and most mature total War gamers since the beginning. They are dropping out now, because it's not the same thing anymore. I swear With all the technology and their so called huge budget, I'm not getting half the satisfaction i had from the original medieval. That was ten years ago for God's sake. And I can't even play my old copy of medieval because ca does not support windows 8 for it. I am not buying a single future total War title until I see solid reviews from the real total War players.

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    No no you are right. It's not going to improve at all. What they are doing now, cheap eye candy games without souls, is working best for them. With the minimum amount of labour and passion they are making big money. So they will just keep doing that. They have managed to create a new gamer base formed by young people and casual gamers so they don't care about the old, core fans of the game. We are a dying breed and they know it. So they are just shovelling up the dirt over the grave. I mean look at the org. It's sadly becoming a ghost town. That's because it had the oldest and most mature total War gamers since the beginning. They are dropping out now, because it's not the same thing anymore. I swear With all the technology and their so called huge budget, I'm not getting half the satisfaction i had from the original medieval. That was ten years ago for God's sake. And I can't even play my old copy of medieval because ca does not support windows 8 for it. I am not buying a single future total War title until I see solid reviews from the real total War players.
    Well I wanted to thank you for this post but in the same time its difficult to be thanksfull for such bitter truth

I think I won't buy HATG. I had more fun with CiG than with GC for sure but compared to what I get when replaying FOTS or even modded RTW its weak.

And yet the game is playable and the AI impressive. But CA's team has killed too many features that were TW's soul for me !

Oh no I complained again !
    Last edited by Alcibiade; 04-29-2014 at 22:31.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12