Thread: How do you gain weight?

Default How do you gain weight?

Inspired by Myth's thread: I've been underweight for as long as I can remember, and I've tried several times (unsuccesfully) to gain weight. How does one go about doing that? Any tips or advice would be welcome.

I eat pretty much anything, no allergic or dietary restrictions.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Default Re: How do you gain weight?

I'm by no means the biggest, but this worked for me.

Eat. Your body can't grow without the basic building blocks. Calculate your TDEE, then eat 500cal above it per day. Importantly, make all these calories a balance of protein, fat and complex carbs. Sugar will just make you tired and/or fat.

Exercise, preferably weightlift. You'll want your body to use the these extra macro nutrients to grow. If you can't weightlift (no access to a gym, etc) you can also try bodyweight exercises, weighted cardio, swimming, etc. A basic training scheme is 3 alternate days a week (i.e. Mon, Wed, Fri). It is possible to train more, but when gaining = more calories required. Plus when just starting 3 days a week is a much more reasonable and achievable goal.

Posture and form. As you grow and do strenuous exercises any postural problems you have will manifest. Stretch daily, I recommend Defranco's Agile 8 or Limber 11. Pick one, stick to it.

Further reading:
    Gainit
    Bodyweight Fitness
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Members thankful for this post (2):

Play video games and eat pizza all day =X

Members thankful for this post (4):

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

whole milk
    12 eggs
    meat

deadlift

repeat
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Haxnaut 

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I used to be extremely skinny too, so I can advise you from personal experience.

Rather than just worrying about what to do, I think you should first worry about getting yourself in a position where you make sure you actually do it. Get a solid routine with eating your meals. Do not skip any. This is the most important point.

Now, unless you want to just gain fat, do some strength exercise. You probably don't want to go as far as weightlifting, so even just do press up variations and some other body weight exercises 3 times a week - they give surprisingly good results.

I am a slob, I either sit all day at work or spend all weekend on my latop/TV. I have not moved above walking pace in years. And yet, people always comment on how I am in good shape. This is simply because I spend half an hour three times a week doing body weight exercises, and I eat healthily and regularly. I think this is prisoners' secret to getting in shape.

As for foods for weight gain, whole fat milk is all you need. Drink 2 litres a day for around 1,300 calories and you will easily tip your calories balance into weight-gain territory. It is also full of protein and thus ensure you do not just gain fat, so long as you exercise. This was my main secret in going from around 145 lbs to 200 lbs. I now sit at around 180 lbs and have made sure it is a lean 180 lbs by getting plenty of protein (I was getting a noticeable belly at my biggest).

So - drink milk, keep your meals regular, and do your press ups.
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 03-16-2014 at 18:07.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Thanks guys

Yes, I am one of those freaks that can sit on the couch all day eating chocolate cake and pizza and not gain any weight. tbh, I was a vegetarian for six years, then I grew up.

EDIT: Keeping meals regular might be a problem, I have classes on Monday and Thursday from 6.30 until 9.30 PM, so that sucks.
    Last edited by Hax; 03-17-2014 at 00:27.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Beer milk shakes
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Member thankful for this post:

If you want to gain fat. Eat lot of carbs and do not and i repeat do not move unless absolutely necessary. If you want to gain muscle or tone.Eat lot of protein and move.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Why would you want to, it's just your build. Like in rps's.

Yes why would anyone want to improve their body?

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Why would you want to, it's just your build. Like in rps's.
    While I understand and respect the notion of being comfortable in who you are.

Patently untrue. When I left high school I was a scrawny 143lbs. I thought I had a fast metabolism, a big fat lie. My parents had just been underfeeding me.

Took responsibility, did the research, ate and exercised. At my heaviest I was 178lbs, never above 18% BF.

Unfortunately I got really sick last year and lost almost all of it and my strength as well. Currently 168lbs and working way back up to it. When I settle down I'm aiming for heavier and lower fat percent, maybe 190lbs, 15%.

So Hax go for it, feel free to ask any questions and good luck. There is plenty admirable in it, be it the discipline required or the desire to live healthy and be the best you can be.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Of course you can gain some weight but you will reach a critical point, what you gained you already had, you will get that 'extra' muscle very easily very fast. But then it stops. I have the same strength as people who are much bigger than me, I am as tight as a drum but I won't get any bigger, just harder.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Of course you can gain some weight but you will reach a critical point, what you gained you already had, you will get that 'extra' muscle very easily very fast. But then it stops. I have the same strength as people who are much bigger than me, I am as tight as a drum but I won't get any bigger, just harder.
    Im going to chalk this up to bad english
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Member thankful for this post:

Well gaining weight is easy. You eat more than you use. I assume you mean "good weight", otherwise known as lean muscle. You need to do three things. Workout, Eat good healthy options at the right amounts, and sleep. All three of those things together will give you the results you probably want. If you do one or two of those things you will not see the desired results.

Now as for me personally. I am currently coming off of a controlled winter bulk so I will just give an idea of my workout plan and feeding schedule as of now.

I switch workouts around probably every 12 weeks or so to target my goal areas or because I am bored. So currently I am doing a workout that focuses on my neck and traps (traps are the most important muscle for looking yoked). Before this workout I used the Texas Method. Both are probably considered powerlifting style routines and focus on strengths not aesthetics. This particular workout was designed by Jim Wendler who is a stud. It goes as follows

Monday
    OHP
    Chin Ups
    Close Grip Bench
    Band Pull Aparts
    Seated Shrugs
    Neck Flexion

Tuesday
    Deadlift
    Squat
    KettleBell
    Abs
    Neck Flexion

Thursday
    Bench Press
    Karowski Shrugs
    Incline Press
    Face Pulls
    Tricep Pulldowns
    Neck Flexion

Friday
    Hang Clean
    Squat
    Good Mornings
    Kettlebell
    Ab Work
    Neck Flexion

Also add in a lot of interval and long distance running. Note the schedule is because it works so well with my personal schedule which is how I found the workout originally. I wouldn't suggest you do this as it is not novice friendly. Instead I would suggest you do a workout called Starting Strength which is a novice friendly weightlifting program. I would also recommend mixing in running as you see fit, purely because I like running. Now you may not want to lift weights or have access to a gym in which case I would suggest finding a sick bodyweight workout. The good ones will make you hate your life. Personally I would suggest starting with something slow paced and designed to get you up and moving if you haven't been that active before this. If you are reasonably active I would suggest doing a military recommended prep workout for a specialty school like Rangers or BUDS. I personally have done and recommended this workout to friends and would highly encourage it; http://www.passranger.com/p/physical-training.html Now this requires some basic equipment so there is this other one I found (was a better one I remember from high school that I couldn't find but whatever) http://www.passranger.com/p/physical-training.html . Ignore all of the blah blah stuff at the top and just scroll down. You can replace the swimming if you have issues with it with bike or more running.

As for diet. Go google tdee calculator and find out your thresholds. now eat more than that. A lot more. Use this to track how much you are eating. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ . It is a helpful little tool. Also try to get 1g of protein for every pound of lean muscle you have. The easiest way to hit your calorie goals is to buy a mass gainer which will mostly be protein and shit tons of calories. I use these vials with 500 calories and 50g of protein in them and take two a day. They are incredibly phallic in nature but are awesome. Protein powder and mass gainers is perfectly fine to use. I also use creatine and it does have an effect (may be greater for you since you were/are? a vegetarian may not make a difference at all) and I also take fish oil because BCAA dawg. If you eat right then you will have less clean up to do in regards to your new weight gain but if you eat dirty you will have an easier time hitting your calories. Personally, I eat pretty dirty because I don't want to be a slave to this stuff.

And finally sleep the proper amount. If you don't you will regret it and progress will be slow to not at all.

Also the whole faster metabolism thing is a myth unless you have an actual health issue there is very little variation in peoples metabolisms like from the fastest to the slowest is supposedly a range of 500 calories. What is actually happening is likely one of two things. You don't realize how much food a calorie is and under eat thinking you are eating a lot. Or you eat a lot in short bursts. Like you won't eat all day and then at the end of the day you have like a pizza or something and are full. This is compounded if people are with you and are like wow you must eat a lot. Then the myth grows in your head you eat a lot. You said you are a vegetarian so I wouldn't be surprised if it was option 1. A lot of vegetarians are rather light eaters. This is why using a calorie tracker is very important.

tldr; there was nothing of substance here I just wanted something to do while I took a poop.
    Last edited by Flavius Aetius; 03-22-2014 at 07:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Im going to chalk this up to bad english
    Tell him I said hi, weird name who calls his kid Bad English

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Flavius, I like the cut of your jib.

Hax - Naut, Flavius and Rhyfelwyr all have good advice.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

I was very skinny too back in my teenhood days.

I started gaining weight when I got my own job and had to eat from outside because I don't like cooking at all. When you eat lots of hamburgers, pizzas and other unhealthy foods, at some point, your body stops its ability to lose fat intaken. That's not the healthy way of gaining weight at all but it helps with your build, may boost your confidence (considering you're not eating morbid-obese levels that would get you BBW booties or manbreasts). You can always pick up a diet and be careful with your intake of fat, sugar, salt and pastry to even your weight out.

The healthy way has been described above, however, I reckon you'd need to inflate a bit first. Because as my workout trainer said "fat ones yield better results if they workout like you do. Because they are already huge in volume and getting ripped is easier for them given the discipline of training".

Still, love handles are not pleasant at all. I'd hit the gym if I were at your age had I had the opportunity to do so. You'll have try a lot harder, since you are an ectomorph, however determination will get you where you'd like yourself at.

Good luck.

Eat healthy, exercise regularly, and don't worry about it. The pounds will come when they're ready to. If people don't like it, they ain't gotta look. Between 165 and 205 there has been a few fifths of Beam and Coke passed around. Some weed was smoked, which led to a few pointless meals. And a good cook was married. A few years have passed, and they've all been better thanks to eating, drinking, being merry.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey