Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't understand any of this

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default I don't understand any of this

But it's apparently a great breakthrough. Bing Bang.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26605974

My greatest que?

'Theory holds that this would have taken the infant Universe from something unimaginably small to something about the size of a marble. Space has continued to expand for the nearly 14 billion years since.'

Where did that infant Universy exist in before? 4th dimension? Some time space anomaly? Behind me when I am not looking?

Default Re: I don't understand any of this

Dont worry Frags. You are not alone in the crowd who have no idea about what this really means. Im sure our less intellectually challenged members will soon come to enlighten the rest of us, what is this fuss about.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Member thankful for this post:

If thee was no movement prior to the Big Bang, was there a "before"?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    If thee was no movement prior to the Big Bang, was there a "before"?
    Who cares, let's build warp-drives.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Well, according to M-theory...

Imagine two sheets hanging out to dry. They will of course ripple in the wind. When the two fabrics meet, a "Big Bang" occurs.

Now, as to what the two sheets represent, and what would cause the wind... Oh well, let's just say it causes me an headache when I try to dwell into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post

Now, as to what the two sheets represent, and what would cause the wind... Oh well, let's just say it causes me an headache when I try to dwell into it.
    It's either Chuck Norris sneezing or God. You can pick whichever you think is likelier.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    It's either Chuck Norris sneezing or God. You can pick whichever you think is likelier.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
    I can agree on it maybe being a god. Question would be which one

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Hawking states that the state of the universe prior to the big bang was a singularity, thus the laws of physics did not apply to it. it therefore, has no way of influencing the events after the big bang, and we have no way of explaining it as the rules do not apply to it. Thus, it can be ignored. Also, the light from the big bang was sort of discovered some decades ago, at least so he says in "A brief history of the universe". We also know that the universe is expanding rapidly and it is outspeeding its own gravitational pull, thus it will not collapse back into a singluarity.

How did that one proto-singularity, out of which all the universe appeared, come into being? I think we are a thousand years too early in asking this question. We are like dogs, trying to comprehend the moon.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

I can agree on it maybe being a god. Question would be which one
    My money is between Zeus, Ra, Odin and Tengri. I cannot see anyone less badass creating this universe.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Hawking states that the state of the universe prior to the big bang was a singularity, thus the laws of physics did not apply to it. it therefore, has no way of influencing the events after the big bang, and we have no way of explaining it as the rules do not apply to it. Thus, it can be ignored....
    The perfect scientific assessment of God. The believer would assert that far from being ignored, no other question is as significant.

How did that one proto-singularity, out of which all the universe appeared, come into being? I think we are a thousand years too early in asking this question. We are like dogs, trying to comprehend the moon.
    I take your point, but I would replace 'dogs' with "children." We are not lacking in intelligence, we only suffer a surfeit of ignorance.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Hawking states that the state of the universe prior to the big bang was a singularity, thus the laws of physics did not apply to it. it therefore, has no way of influencing the events after the big bang, and we have no way of explaining it as the rules do not apply to it. Thus, it can be ignored. Also, the light from the big bang was sort of discovered some decades ago, at least so he says in "A brief history of the universe". We also know that the universe is expanding rapidly and it is outspeeding its own gravitational pull, thus it will not collapse back into a singluarity.

Uhm... Last I checked that was just a rival theory.

Leading theory is that dark matter will eventually start bringing things back to the centre, no?

Leading theory is that dark matter will eventually start bringing things back to the centre, no?
    We still have no clue what dark matter is(hence the term "dark"), so any theories on how it ties into the bigger picture is far from complete.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 03-17-2014 at 22:29.

We still have little clue what dark matter is(hence the term "dark"), so any theories on how it ties into the bigger picture is far from complete.
    Yeah... I didn't state it as fact, I just think it is currently the leading theory in the circles that have the brain capacity to actually understand this.

Yeah... I didn't state it as fact, I just think it is currently the leading theory in the circles that have the brain capacity to actually understand this.
    There is a belief that these theories will be the leading theories once we have figured out what dark matter is.

You're jumping the gun a bit, I'm afraid...

We could, after all, end up discovering that there's no such thing as dark matter at all, like how we discovered that light does not need to pass through an aether.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 03-17-2014 at 22:40.

There is a belief that these theories will be the leading theories once we have figured out what dark matter is.

You're jumping the gun a bit, I'm afraid...

We could, after all, end up discovering that there's no such thing as dark matter at all, like how we discovered that light does not need to pass through an aether.
    Honestly, I for one don't have the brain capacity to follow a percentile of what those minds are into.

I deeply respect them though.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

So, if universe was infinitely small, and it keeps expanding, does this mean there's an end to it? What's there? I'm imagining Douglas Adams as border guard...

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

If it keeps expanding it will smear the energy over an ever increasing volume.

Imagine you are in a old cold mansion huddled in a room around a star brand pot belly stove with a single log left to burn. Then one of your companions Lee Expansion starts to open the doors to all the rooms. The room you are in will start to share its heat with all the other rooms and yours will get colder. Also your fuel is running out, and in time the last log burns out leaving the room to cool down. Then Lee starts to open all the windows just to put the boot in and you all freeze to death.

If the universe expands the hydrogen that makes stars will be smeared out over further distances making nebula less and less frequent. Nebula are star nurseries so we will run out of stars and lose our heat sources as the universe gets bigger and bigger. So in the very very far future the universe will be very large but also very cold.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 03-18-2014 at 00:48.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

naut 

Sounds like nonsense.
    Everyone knows the universe was danced into existence and will be danced into annihilation.
    Fortunately, everything in between is dancing.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    The perfect scientific assessment of God. The believer would assert that far from being ignored, no other question is as significant.
    So God already existed before the beginning of time?
    For how long?

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    If it keeps expanding it will smear the energy over an ever increasing volume.

Imagine you are in a old cold mansion huddled in a room around a star brand pot belly stove with a single log left to burn. Then one of your companions Lee Expansion starts to open the doors to all the rooms. The room you are in will start to share its heat with all the other rooms and yours will get colder. Also your fuel is running out, and in time the last log burns out leaving the room to cool down. Then Lee starts to open all the windows just to put the boot in and you all freeze to death.

If the universe expands the hydrogen that makes stars will be smeared out over further distances making nebula less and less frequent. Nebula are star nurseries so we will run out of stars and lose our heat sources as the universe gets bigger and bigger. So in the very very far future the universe will be very large but also very cold.
    Yes, the cold death, but what is outside the universe? Beyond the border.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    So God already existed before the beginning of time?
    For how long?

Yes, the cold death, but what is outside the universe? Beyond the border.
    There is no border, it's a loop.

Yes, the universe is expanding, but not out into anything.

Imagine that you blow a balloon up, that is basically what has happened since big bang. The whole "being" of the universe is on the surface/fabric of the balloon.

WE are on the surface / fabric of this balloon, thus our furthest point is the place of origin.

GAH!!

I neither have the English nor brain to explain or grasp all this. I do however do my best to try to explain it to people as stupid as I from the very limited knowledge that I have.
    Last edited by Kadagar_AV; 03-18-2014 at 02:49.

Imagine that you blow a balloon up, that is basically what has happened since big bang. The whole "being" of the universe is on the surface/fabric of the balloon.
    And just like a balloon one day the entire Universe goes "poof" in one Big Rip. Very sad, mostly because it makes human life and existence in general utterly absurd and pointless.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    And just like a balloon one day the entire Universe goes "poof" in one Big Rip. Very sad, mostly because it makes human life and existence in general utterly absurd and pointless.
    The big rip is one theory...

Another theory is a universal strive for complexion. The ultimate complexion would be "god".

Couple that with dark matter and a universe that moves out, to move back in, in a more complex state than it was before... And you get close to understanding my "religious" beliefs.

Here's a possible eye opener for the people of a false religion:

An atomic scientist is actually atoms trying to understand themselves.

How's that for a joke

An atomic scientist is actually atoms trying to understand themselves. How's that for a joke
    Reminds me of St Lazarus.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Two points to consider

1) heat death for the natural universe may occur but it might not wipe out life. It may be possible to harvest energy in other ways

2) multiverse and traveling between them. Sure this overgrown marble is dying but we might be able to skip/create other 'verses.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Uhm... Last I checked that was just a rival theory.

The 2011 Nobel Prize for Physics was given "for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe through observations of distance supernovae." As it stands right now, whatever dark matter is, it is not sufficient to shrink the universe, as we are talking an acceleration in the growth, not just that it is growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    So, if universe was infinitely small, and it keeps expanding, does this mean there's an end to it? What's there? I'm imagining Douglas Adams as border guard...
    There is a distinction made between its size and whether or not it is bounded or unbounded. Basically Earth is finite but unbounded, there is no edge of earth, you just keep walking around. I believe the most popular view right now is that the universe is both infinite and unbounded.

Fun stuff we are discovering. People seem to not grasp what is amazing about this.

Before this the furthest back we could "look" is 380,000 years after the big bang, because our "oldest" observations was the Cosmic Microwave Background. Now, with these gravitational waves we have evidence as to what happened during the inflationary period, the inflationary period was anywhere from 10^-36 to 10^-32 seconds after the big bang.

So now we have a better picture of what happened about 0.000000000000000000000000000000000001 seconds after the big bang.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 03-18-2014 at 03:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    Two points to consider

1) heat death for the natural universe may occur but it might not wipe out life. It may be possible to harvest energy in other ways

2) multiverse and traveling between them. Sure this overgrown marble is dying but we might be able to skip/create other 'verses.
    Terry Pratchett wrote about the long-stockings of time.

Basically, every decision ever taken is like dropping a marble down a pair of long-stockings. You don't know which leg the marble is going to come out off, but it doesn't matter as the universe simultaneously is split in two, hence the multiverse.

I don't mean to ridicule you, Pape, it's just the best description of a multiverse I have heard except for the descriptions I don't understand.

So, in one multiverse I am right now having a threesome with Jessica Alba and Alizée in their prime...

However, in this multiverse I am gonna take my White Wolf up to a night run up a mountain, to howl at the full moon - then off to bed... I am more than content :)

Myth 

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    The 2011 Nobel Prize for Physics was given "for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe through observations of distance supernovae." As it stands right now, whatever dark matter is, it is not sufficient to shrink the universe, as we are talking an acceleration in the growth, not just that it is growing.
    No.

You are right about the prize, but wrong about its implications to what I said.

Easily put: Expansion SHOULD be more rapid from a dark matter point of view.

Don't ask me to explain why, it blows my mind going anywhere near these questions.

There is no border, it's a loop.

Yes, the universe is expanding, but not out into anything.

WE are on the surface / fabric of this balloon, thus our furthest point is the place of origin.
    Like this?
    http://www.universetoday.com/1455/po...xpanding-into/

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Yeah, only that was the same answer but better :)

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post

There is a distinction made between its size and whether or not it is bounded or unbounded. Basically Earth is finite but unbounded, there is no edge of earth, you just keep walking around. I believe the most popular view right now is that the universe is both infinite and unbounded.

Fun stuff we are discovering. People seem to not grasp what is amazing about this.

Before this the furthest back we could "look" is 380,000 years after the big bang, because our "oldest" observations was the Cosmic Microwave Background. Now, with these gravitational waves we have evidence as to what happened during the inflationary period, the inflationary period was anywhere from 10^-36 to 10^-32 seconds after the big bang.

So now we have a better picture of what happened about 0.000000000000000000000000000000000001 seconds after the big bang.
    I think the ratio of neutrons to protons gives a fairly good observation much earlier then 380k years after the Big Bang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast