Thread: [Win7] Restart after any file changes to avoid irreconcilable CTDs

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default [Win7] Restart after any file changes to avoid irreconcilable CTDs

I've no idea if anyone is still playing, but I've just been doing so once more. I tried to start a new migrated faction game, which necessitated a different expanded_bi.txt so the names were correct. But since I made that change, I couldn't process a new turn without a CTD. Every time, whether on the new game, or the old one. Same with a completely new game with no changes to it.

Then I tried restarting my computer, and it worked fine. Changed my files to go back to the newest game, restarted, working just fine again.

So if this will help anyone else tinkering with their game running Windows 7 (I'm assuming this is a Win7 thing, I never had this issue with XP), give it a go!
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Member thankful for this post:

Moros 

Default Re: [Win7] Restart after any file changes to avoid irreconcilable CTDs

Another Win7-specific issue; Alt+Tab-ing out of the game is a no-no. I used to do it all the time when playing on an XP machine (for screenshots), but I did it once with Win7 and the game refuses to restart once tabbed back in.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

I would recommend playing in "Windowed Mode" if you need to get in and out of the game. A few of the Team Members have seen similar instability with EB2 and Win7 and solved it by going to Windowed mode.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Member thankful for this post:

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go if I start getting snap-happy with screenshots.

Is stability improved any using XP emulation?