Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Posts for two days in here

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: No Posts for two days in here

Most players don't go to .Org forums, etc to post about multiplayer. Usually it's private clan forums, Steam, public mp forums (TWCC, Russian TW forum, etc) teamspeak, youtube etc
    Well, according to the numbers I posted, folks used to come HERE to discuss MP. I was only in on the tail-end of the Shogun I era, but MP discussion was huge here at the org. And it reached its peak for MTW I. So what's changed? The game, certainly, but how has the org changed to contribute to the decline of MP posting here? Or is it just a different kind of player now
    High Plains Drifter

I have already answered those questions in the post you just quoted but I'll rephrase. I recommend reading my previous post to get a better summarization.

Both.

Most players of this sort have already moved on, only one I remember from such an era is Aggony Duck who is still a very good player with his aggressive cavalry work.

Steam, twitch, clan forums, other community forums, new breed of players, etc. It is also the separation between the mp and sp communities.

Some additional stuff: Plus .Org has fallen off from good activity thus contributing to less people coming here for anything. An interesting thing to note, there was a a TWC analysis on other TW forums and some people from TWC note of .Orgs elitism (I remember being told the Orgahs are superior in proper behavior and politeness, funny thing I still enjoyed my time on the modding subforums of TWC discussion at IB's tavern on any sort of matter with familiar, polite people.) They see the elitism as something to be avoided too.

I can go on but imo it's a little obvious why no one comes here for multiplayer anymore. I believe it's impossible to get even a small chunk of the players to return to here, there is absolutely no reason for them to do so either.

Cheers.
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Godspeed to them then I guess...
    Last edited by easytarget; 05-06-2014 at 00:36.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Elitist? Yeah I guess acting calmly and rationally when everyone else is losing their heads is elitist...

If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you...
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    Most players don't go to .Org forums, etc to post about multiplayer.

[snip]

I browse once in a while here but not much really keeps me here.
    And I would say the same for modding. TWC has an active modding community, so that's where I go when I need modding advice. It has been that way since somewhere during the RTW time frame (at which point I felt like the Org turned into the "EB Forum").

For new people that wander in, you need something to keep them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuie View Post
    For new people that wander in, you need something to keep them here.
    I demand to be entertained, dance damn you, dance...

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

I have already answered those questions in the post you just quoted but I'll rephrase. I recommend reading my previous post to get a better summarization.

Both.

Most players of this sort have already moved on, only one I remember from such an era is Aggony Duck who is still a very good player with his aggressive cavalry work.

Steam, twitch, clan forums, other community forums, new breed of players, etc. It is also the separation between the mp and sp communities.

Some additional stuff: Plus .Org has fallen off from good activity thus contributing to less people coming here for anything. An interesting thing to note, there was a a TWC analysis on other TW forums and some people from TWC note of .Orgs elitism (I remember being told the Orgahs are superior in proper behavior and politeness, funny thing I still enjoyed my time on the modding subforums of TWC discussion at IB's tavern on any sort of matter with familiar, polite people.) They see the elitism as something to be avoided too.

I can go on but imo it's a little obvious why no one comes here for multiplayer anymore. I believe it's impossible to get even a small chunk of the players to return to here, there is absolutely no reason for them to do so either.

Cheers.
    LOL TWC analysis. What, do they have a research institute to analyze other TW forums? I remember when you came here, around R2 launch. You were banned from the TWC and were singing a very different tune
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

My web browser (chrome) pretend TWC is infected by malwares lol For one hour it won't let me go there anymore ! The question is '' do Chrome really know what is good for me''. I'm in a playfull mood, so I'd say yes.

EDIT : Don't take me bad. I like TWC. Most of what I wrote is what we call "second degré" in my mother tongue. And we also say that you are more severe with the whom you like.

One thing I always wondered about TWC, since I don't know much about forums as a rule and especially since it's such a big website and with so many moderators, is how does it work. Does it belong to a private person or company. How is it financed, etc....
    Last edited by Alcibiade; 05-08-2014 at 10:20.

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Sad to hear the forum is on the wane. It did seem a little quiet. Guess the thing to do about it is to come back and contribute, if only in hot air. I'm grateful to regular posters and mods for keeping things going, I hope they still find it rewarding.

I have always liked the Org for being more about accuraccy and less about, well, being part of the feral internet.

I had been about to say that the format of the site is maybe getting a bit fusty but then remembered that I have the decor set to that old brown MTW theme!

Looking at the steam play charts for RTW2 (http://steamcharts.com/app/214950), it's interesting to see that R2 is at #15 now and has had reasonably steady numbers (if declining) since November (launch +2 months), and currently stands at 1/3 the numbers at launch. It doesn't seem possible to compare that with STW2's figures as steam's data doesn't go back to S2's launch.

Sadly for those who are pissed off about RTW2, these figures are what keep CA in the business, despite the flaws in their products. I'd also say that those figures infer that RTW2 is popular, despite its flaws, and that Slaists was right (way up in this thread) when he said the forum was struggling irrespective of RTW2.

Myth 

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    LOL TWC analysis. What, do they have a research institute to analyze other TW forums? I remember when you came here, around R2 launch. You were banned from the TWC and were singing a very different tune
    What? I was never banned from TWC, I remain in good standing with the folks there. I remember posting here in a really pissed mood too, it's fun bashing R2, it was what sparked my interest in the .Org again. I came here well before R2 launch if you bothered to read my join date and also browsed .Org a lot before I signed up. So again cut it with the jabs at fellow members.

Already you and Hooahguy are showing what I have mentioned. False claims of everyone else not on .Org loosing their minds and sarcastic jokes on a TWC's staff member's bothering to shed light on websites such as the .Org. I can go on and further make more claims but I will keep calm and recommend you to do so too and not go an inch further.

Oops, I think I confused you with another member. You were the one who ended every post with how he isn't going to buy Rome II now and wait for a Steam sale. I apologize. So, did you actually get the game?

Already you and Hooahguy are showing what I have mentioned. False claims of everyone else not on .Org loosing their minds and sarcastic jokes on a TWC's staff member's bothering to shed light on websites such as the .Org. I can go on and further make more claims but I will keep calm and recommend you to do so too and not go an inch further.
    Watch your tongue, young man

[/joke]

But seriously, the "elitism", as you call it, and the occasional mis-step by mods pales in comparison to what goes on at TWC. Over there, you need to be wearing one of those flame retardant suits stunt people use in the movies......
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Watch your tongue, young man

[/joke]

But seriously, the "elitism", as you call it, and the occasional mis-step by mods pales in comparison to what goes on at TWC. Over there, you need to be wearing one of those flame retardant suits stunt people use in the movies......
    Yes the moderation on the org seems quite fair and the freedom of speech here is obvious.

More and more, I go to TWC to check what's going on with mods but come here to gather and share opinions on the game. *

I really like the org, even if there are not many posters atm. My favourite bar is a bit like that. A discreet but witty barkeeper and very few customers, but whenever you meet somebody there, it's always cool.

Ok, now I stop throwing flowers.

* and to follow EB2's dev !
    Last edited by Alcibiade; 05-10-2014 at 12:58.

Ah, classic revisionism.

Might I remind you of this:
    Exactly, this forums is like bliss to me. Sure people differ opinions than me on Rome 2 but at least nobody goes all out nerd rage... Yet....
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Myth 

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Ah, classic revisionism.
    Also looks like classic condescension on your behalf. Well done, everyone wins.

Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar

First of all let me say that I opened an account on TWC last year for mods and I had a better chance for checking things over there. I am not attacking anyone on a personal level but the moderation there is abysmal. People get fraction points and warnings for simply having negative views of the game. Moderators are picking on certain members and they are in absolute denily. Obviously CA visits the forums there and this has immensely effected the independence of the forums

The relative isolation of the org makes it independent I have been around for ten years and I never saw moderation taking a stand against members. I am happy here and Ican ffreely say what I think, that's why I sticked around for so long. As far as I can see fan boy - hater levels are at minimum at the org.

usually people have independent opinions that can be expressed without fear of being placed in one category or another and I see this as maturity not elitism. And don't even get me started on the official forums.

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    I'm surprised noone has mentioned a huge contributor to forum traffic.....Multi-player. In R2 it's a complete and total non-contributor. And, except for a brief spike with the release of Shogun II, the amount of posts generated has declined steadily since ME I:

Threads/Posts

Shogun I---138/3500
    ME I---1868/31326
    RTW I---610/13526
    ME II---420/7108
    ETW---160/1824
    NTW---60/375
    STW II---448/5723
    RTW II---9/45

Nine topics and 45 posts in multi-player? Has multi-player support from CA sunk that low, or is the new breed of player just not interested?

I am literally not interested and while a nice multiplayer would be nice to have, it remains that for me... nice to have. Rome 2 doesn't have it.
    That said, I never really played any multiplayer in any TW game, except for coop campaign. I wanted to get into it with a friend for Rome 2 and wanted to play against other people together but then the game was delivered in a crap state, the multiplayer was more than shit and we didn't even finish a co op campaign.

(For comparison, both of us spent 300 or 400 hours playing Shogun 2 and FotS campaigns. We literally had weeks where we said right, we'll finish this campaign now and then a day went by without either of us noticing... Rome 2 is just not as good in that department)

-E- Forgot my verdict: I think the reason there is so little activity here is because a lot of people have given up on playing the game as much as they used to play better TW titles. Had the game been released today in the state it is today, it might have been/be a different story.
    Last edited by Myth; 05-15-2014 at 20:04. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Way to take a stand! I hate mean people too.

It's just so brave, brought a tear to my eye reading this.

/golf clap
    You prefer everybody circle-jerk endlessly about how horrible the game is? That seems to be what the people who passionately hate the game want, both here and over on TWC: endless validation of their opinion. That'd certainly up the post count, but would it really be any more productive or engaging?

At this point, those people have decided to hate the game, and voice their hatred and disappointment every chance they get (whether the topic warrants it or not). Their minds are not going to be changed. Every complaint has been lathered, rinsed, and repeated ad nauseum. Any attempt to engage them results in an ad hominem dismissal of "fanboy" or "apologist", and doesn't result in any new conversation. There is literally no more conversation to be had there.

The people who enjoy the game, regardless of its faults, have no traction; why would they stay and "take a stand" over somebody's else's legitimate disagreement on a game forum, especially when they know there's no possible resolution...when they could be off playing the game instead?
    Last edited by Symphony; 06-09-2014 at 21:36.

The silence is deafening.........

High Plains Drifter

Tell me about it... I check in here every day or so hoping for something to talk about
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
    You prefer everybody circle-jerk endlessly about how horrible the game is? That seems to be what the people who passionately hate the game want, both here and over on TWC: endless validation of their opinion. That'd certainly up the post count, but would it really be any more productive or engaging?

At this point, those people have decided to hate the game, and voice their hatred and disappointment every chance they get (whether the topic warrants it or not). Their minds are not going to be changed. Every complaint has been lathered, rinsed, and repeated ad nauseum. Any attempt to engage them results in an ad hominem dismissal of "fanboy" or "apologist", and doesn't result in any new conversation. There is literally no more conversation to be had there.

The people who enjoy the game, regardless of its faults, have no traction; why would they stay and "take a stand" over somebody's else's legitimate disagreement on a game forum, especially when they know there's no possible resolution...when they could be off playing the game instead?
    Insidious isn't it, you were drawn in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Insidious isn't it, you were drawn in anyway.
    Well, yeah, but I'm a known sucker.

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

We are just floating along on life support here at the moment. That's not a bad thing. I got the feeling that most of us played Rome II quite a bit and as a result we had something to say to each other.

Now for what ever reason we don't have much to say to each other. That's either a result of us all just casually playing Rome II or having put it down for good.

I will always come here for tips and advice until it's shut down.

....forgive me for asking ;-)

But does anyone have any tips for winning Caesar in Gaul? I'm getting agent spammed to death and I have no counter.

I got R2.

The terrain reminded me of an old flight sim I played.
    I'll go grab some graphics mods to ease the game on my eyes. Any suggestions?

Edit:

@ Hooahguy

My opinions change. (And so do many people?)

I admit I have made a rash statement against the .Org in this thread but oh well; I can't change what I said when people have already read what I have typed.

I do believe your quoting of an old post of mine from around release day to be really unnecessary though.

And this person describes it well in his/her response to you.

Quote Originally Posted by al Roumi View Post
    Also looks like classic condescension on your behalf. Well done, everyone wins.
    I'll stop here, I don't want to further cause a flame war with the moderators.

Cheers and have a good day.
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; 06-22-2014 at 01:19. Reason: Lots of revisions.

No problem with changing your opinion, at the very least you could explain they changed.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I got R2.

The terrain reminded me of an old flight sim I played.
    I'll go grab some graphics mods to ease the game on my eyes. Any suggestions?
    I used GEM for a while. It looks quite good. Remember to turn the unlimited GFX memory thing on in settings.

For prettier units, DeI, although that is a total conversion and a little 'heavy' if you've not played vanilla before.

Some of the RII stuff is on Steam sale at the moment. I'm waiting for the last day to get everything but the latest DLC at 75% off.

I started a new Sparta campaign last night. I got a weird bug where I couldn't levle up my army (the button had disappeared). I had to quit and restart the game to resolve it.

I was frustrated and left when I fought a 20 minute slugfest with my Spartan hoplites, backed up by 6 slingers and 3 javelins versus similarly arrayed Roman armies defending a minor settlement. Autocalc had given me horrible odds due to the ships parked nearby. But I know that ships eraly on are manned by weak skirmishers, so I bought 2 mercenary shock cav and wrecked them as they debarked.

I didn't count on literally sitting there for 20 real life minutes on 6x speed, lookng at 2 blobs (one of hoplites, one of Hastati) pushing into each other in a narrow street choke point.

Look, if I'm going to lose, make me lose. If my hoplites can shred Hastati in a city conquest (they could do so in Rome 1), let me do it in reasonable time. DON'T make me wait for my general to inevitably die so I can get chain routed (or something similar happen to the enemy). City assaults feel like a chore to me, that's why I AR 90% of them unless I have superior quality troops or tons of artilery so I can just fry the AI blob. It's too bad that most battles in Rome 2 are either city assaults or city defenses and that is of minor settlements 3 out of 4 times statisticaly.
    Last edited by Myth; 06-23-2014 at 07:55.

City assaults feel like a chore to me, that's why I AR 90% of them unless I have superior quality troops or tons of artilery so I can just fry the AI blob. It's too bad that most battles in Rome 2 are either city assaults or city defenses and that is of minor settlements 3 out of 4 times statisticaly.
    This is precisely why I refuse to purchase the game unless I can get it dirt cheap. City assaults are a boring affair to begin with, and in all honesty, even in R1 I AR most assaults on walled cities. After a dozen or so, the procedure is virtually the same....tedious and boring. This flies in the face of CA's supposed attempt to remediate the quantity of siege battles that so many complained about in R1. It's one of the reasons Shogun 1 will forever remain my favorite. You fought for control of the province in a field battle, and you could simply force the AI to fight a field battle in order to lift a siege if it chose to retreat to the castle.

Agent spam is also a big "deal-breaker". I never got bored with the Ninja cut-scenes of Shogun. When it became apparent your assassin was going to die, you just felt bad. When he succeeded, it was....YES....another one bites the dust Agents that can disable an entire army without assassinating the general is.....well....just silly

I didn't count on literally sitting there for 20 real life minutes on 6x speed, lookng at 2 blobs (one of hoplites, one of Hastati) pushing into each other in a narrow street choke point.
    IIRC, doesn't this happen because CA got so wound up in animating "killing moves" that individual soldiers will stand around doing nothing if they can't complete one on an enemy soldier?
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 06-24-2014 at 09:02.
    High Plains Drifter

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Look, if I'm going to lose, make me lose. If my hoplites can shred Hastati in a city conquest (they could do so in Rome 1), let me do it in reasonable time. DON'T make me wait for my general to inevitably die so I can get chain routed (or something similar happen to the enemy). City assaults feel like a chore to me, that's why I AR 90% of them unless I have superior quality troops or tons of artilery so I can just fry the AI blob. It's too bad that most battles in Rome 2 are either city assaults or city defenses and that is of minor settlements 3 out of 4 times statisticaly.
    Um, if I'm not wrong, cities tend to have more than one street. Why not charge those hastati in the rear with that shock cavalry you bought?

Other than that, I agree, city battles are a chore. After a few: you've seen everything there is to be seen unless it's a human controlling the garrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Um, if I'm not wrong, cities tend to have more than one street. Why not charge those hastati in the rear with that shock cavalry you bought?

Other than that, I agree, city battles are a chore. After a few: you've seen everything there is to be seen unless it's a human controlling the garrison.
    The AI had one Roman cav general, 3 merc cav of some sort and a Triarii general. I had no chance to use the cav, it knows how to position itself. I had to split my hopiltes in 2 groups and flank that way, but i didn't expect that I would need it versus hastati and town watch when fighting with Spartan hoplites.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast