Thread: Losing men before battle

Default Losing men before battle

Has anybody else ever lost men in the deployment phase of battle? I was in a huge city, forget if walls were large or epic. Still in deployment phase, when I noticed on a unit of my Legionary Cohort the unit count went red and I lost a man. They were still on the walls, I had not moved them yet. This has happened at least once, I think more, though I don't remember the other situations, it seems that in one I did not see them lose a man, but I was down a man in one of my units for no reason.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Losing men before battle

No, I have never seen that. I think you can lose troops if the unit starts out on illegal terrain, but I have only seen that once; and that was a custom battle on a buggy map of the beta release of a mod.

Since this seems to be more in the order of a bug than a game-mechanic, I am moving this thread to the main R:TW forum.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Default Re: Losing men before battle

Have you ever seen men being lost on a portion of the wall? It was in BI, if my guys were near a particular corner of the wall, I lost men for no reason. Kind of hurts, I was using them to fight men getting off a siege tower. It was not the siege tower attacking them, it was already at the wall. Probably another glitch, but really annoying. They were not engaged, but were losing men at an alarming rate. When I moved them away, they stopped losing men.

"Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Were they falling off of the wall? or some were in the tower that accesses the wall?

You will also see this situation in bridge battles where troops either fall off of the bridge, or get too close to the waters edge. Extremely annoying for your cavalry when chasing routers to lose more men to either event than they lost in actual combat......
    High Plains Drifter

They weren't falling off the wall that I could see. I don't remember exactly what happened, it has been too long. It was probably just a glitch, maybe for that city, it would happen every time at that corner. I have seen the bridge issue, have had it happen to me before. More often it happens to the enemy.

I've had my men fall off the wall when trying to move through towers or when units all crowd in together, even with ne enemy action. It happens.
    I was trying to find some help in the ancient military journals of General Tacticus, who's intelligent campaigning had been so successful that he'd lent his very name to the detailed prosecution of martial endeavour, and had actually found a section headed "What To Do If One Army Occupies A Well-Fortified And Superior Ground And The Other Does Not", but since the first sentence read "Endeavour to be the one inside" I'd rather lost heart.