Thread: Are there many factions with Family Members who fight on foot?

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Are there many factions with Family Members who fight on foot?

Something I found in EB1 was that I really didn't like factions with infantry generals as standard (Koinon Hellenon, Sweboz and Saba off the top of my head did). The added mobility of having FMs on horseback was invaluable. Often FMs would be the only cavalry, or the bulk of the cavalry I'd deploy - especially since they were often very good quality, if small in numbers unless the FM in question had a very high Influence. I'd usually have one on each wing, leading a unit of regular cavalry if I could afford them.

I've seen some suggestions that one of the ways to prevent suiciding AI generals is to make them infantry, but don't know if that's had any traction with the EBII team.

So what's the score? Are there lots of factions which have them? I'm assuming most of the Hellenistic factions still have cavalry FMs?

As a supplemental, will the number of bodyguards an individual FM has be as wildly variable as it was in EB1 (where it could be anywhere from 40-120 if cavalry)?

Additionally, will Client Rulers and Allied Generals still be available in EBII? I always thought they were awesome fun to have around.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 06-03-2014 at 15:44.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Default Re: Are there many factions with Family Members who fight on foot?

And a related question to that: What about the chariot FMs? The Casse general unit were not popular across the board, as many people struggled not to suicide them.

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

As far as I recall KH, Casse Pritanoi and Saba will all be on foot.
    Last edited by Brennus; 06-03-2014 at 23:14.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Members thankful for this post (2):

I do think that the Sweboz, and possibly Lugian, generals will also fight on foot. Someone with better grasp of these factions - correct me if I'm wrong.

The Taksashilan general will be riding a chariot.
    It was either that or an elephant...

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mithridates VI Eupator View Post
    I do think that the Sweboz, and possibly Lugian, generals will also fight on foot. Someone with better grasp of these factions - correct me if I'm wrong.

The Taksashilan general will be riding a chariot.
    It was either that or an elephant...
    Yes, and for the first release the Getai too, until we finish the Tarabostes.

Member thankful for this post:

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tux View Post
    Yes, and for the first release the Getai too, until we finish the Tarabostes.
    Might those infantry Getai FMs in the first release be useful later on as client ruler units? I always thought we could do with some more "barbarian" ones than Celts and Germans.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR