Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who won WWII?

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Default Re: Who won WWII?

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Allies would probably have been able to land in North Africa whatever the Soviets did. Morocco and Algeria were still French territories taking orders from a government that had already fought with the British (actions with French ships, Syria, etc.), and there was at least some token resistance against the Americans (the British didn't land at all, to avoid causing too much offence). Only when the French started going over to the Allies too quickly did the Germans take direct action in Tunisia, and that had to be preceded by taking over Vichy France as well, turning the whole of the French empire against the Axis.

Also, AFAIK it was the Battle of Britain that to that date took out the largest chunk of the Luftwaffe's most experienced pilots, and certainly their fighter pilots. Stuka pilots racked up incredible numbers on the eastern front, but they were only used in the BoB for a short period before being pulled out again, as they were sitting ducks against the state of the art fighters that were involved in the BoB.
    It wasn't a serious post, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    About vague generalizations..........

I was quite clear at the end of my first post on this topic:

No US involvement in the ETO, either directly or indirectly, a Soviet victory is questionable. No Soviet involvement on the Eastern Front, nothing short of atomics wins for the Western Allies.
    I don't really have the strength to go on.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

You are all wrong pound for pound New Zealand were the most effective.

Had to be said.

Might not be true but neither is most of this thread.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    Might not be true but neither is most of this thread.
    That is true except for the parts I wrote, because I'm never wrong. If some sources say differently, than it is a case of the rest of the mankind not catching up with me.

You are all wrong pound for pound New Zealand were the most effective.

Had to be said.
    I agree that New Zealand are small but effective, like Sparta in the ancient times, but, like Sparta, they have a small rulling class that dominates everyone else. When their sheep rebel, New Zealand is done for.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    I agree that New Zealand are small but effective, like Sparta in the ancient times, but, like Sparta, they have a small rulling class that dominates everyone else. When their sheep rebel, New Zealand is done for.
    That's why New Zealanders are sent out into the countryside in a rite of passage. While some are prosecuted for what they do, you have to look at it from their warlike perspective to understand the reasoning. The authorities don't care what you do with the sheep, as long as you don't get caught doing it. This ritual breeds a nation of baadasses.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    That's why New Zealanders are sent out into the countryside in a rite of passage. While some are prosecuted for what they do, you have to look at it from their warlike perspective to understand the reasoning. The authorities don't care what you do with the sheep, as long as you don't get caught doing it. This ritual breeds a nation of baadasses.
    Certainly has a "spartanesque" character, doesn't it? I assume the preponderance of adrenalin-junkie sporting down there is a publicly "acceptable" way to keep their badass selves up on the training.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234