Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am sick of living in a vassal state

The heart of evil, to some known as Moscow

Default I am sick of living in a vassal state

I am certainly not an a blunt anti-American, but I am sick of the way the American government continues to calling Germany "a close friend and ally" while massively violating German citizens' rights and spying on the German government.
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-979738.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/10/wo...tml?ref=europe
    From my point of view, this just displays massive arrogance, those in charge are either too ignorant to see the enormous damage resulting from such cold war-like actions or simply don't care.
    Imagine one of your friends read your SMS and recorded your phone calls; what would be your reaction if you found out?

Merkel's reaction: Merely saying "We are not amused."
    I am fed up with a government, which displays a vassal-like attitude. In my opinion, it is high time to treat American intelligence just how we treat Russian or Chinese intelligence: as enemies. For instance, we should close down all of the NSA's basis in Germany. Apparently our counter-espionage is either highly incapable and/or not willing to do its job, which is protecting its citizens and government against foreign intelligence. It is high time for Europe to sign its own Declaration of Indepence and become more independent in security issues.

Meanwhile, America civil authorities should do everything to regain control over a paranoid security apparatus gone rogue. I heard the US are struggling with government debt, maybe they should just stop spending billions on alienating their allies. Anti-americanism is definitely on the rise here and if the US continue just ignoring the "Euroweenies" complaints, those "Euroweenies" do not see any point in keeping this parthership.
    Last edited by GenosseGeneral; 07-10-2014 at 12:06.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Default Re: I am sick of living in a vassal state

This is why I want a stronger EU. Right now as it is, we are weak and divided. If Europe gets more united, our government may be able to stand up to the big bullies in town instead of being like "Something happened, but let's just not upset the big boss". Sure, we may have to give up some rights, but in my opinion, it is worth it.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Members thankful for this post (4):

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Welcome to reality, where if you are puny lightweight who quivers in the corner with a decaying military infrastructure - you should prepare to be a subordinate. We would love for you guys to stand up for yourselves and counter anybody who encourages injustice, including the United States.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenosseGeneral View Post
    I am fed up with a government, which displays a vassal-like attitude. In my opinion, it is high time to treat American intelligence just how we treat Russian or Chinese intelligence: as enemies.
    Problem is, when you're a vassal state, you don't have much choice.

On the good side, you save on the army and on intelligence and on foreign politics. Washington takes care of that, you just nod and keep the money. It's not all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    Welcome to reality, where if you are puny lightweight who quivers in the corner with a decaying military infrastructure - you should prepare to be a subordinate. We would love for you guys to stand up for yourselves and counter anybody who encourages injustice, including the United States.
    So you say Germany should, eh, invade someone over this to show how mighty a nation the proud Germans are? You see, unless you are actually using your military no matter how much conspicuous consumption you indulge in, it's all idle threats.

The USA probably knows that better than most.

Unless you want a tit for tat exchange in which the Germans start a massive campaign of industrial espionage to give the USA a dose of its own medicine I really do not see the point.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 07-10-2014 at 12:49.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I am certainly not an a blunt anti-American, but I am sick of the way the American government continues to calling Germany "a close friend and ally" while massively violating German citizens' rights and spying on the German government.
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-979738.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/10/wo...tml?ref=europe
    From my point of view, this just displays massive arrogance, those in charge are either too ignorant to see the enormous damage resulting from such cold war-like actions or simply don't care.
    Imagine one of your friends read your SMS and recorded your phone calls; what would be your reaction if you found out?

Merkel's reaction: Merely saying "We are not amused."
    I am fed up with a government, which displays a vassal-like attitude. In my opinion, it is high time to treat American intelligence just how we treat Russian or Chinese intelligence: as enemies. For instance, we should close down all of the NSA's basis in Germany. Apparently our counter-espionage is either highly incapable and/or not willing to do its job, which is protecting its citizens and government against foreign intelligence. It is high time for Europe to sign its own Declaration of Indepence and become more independent in security issues.

Meanwhile, America civil authorities should do everything to regain control over a paranoid security apparatus gone rogue. I heard the US are struggling with government debt, maybe they should just stop spending billions on alienating their allies. Anti-americanism is definitely on the rise here and if the US continue just ignoring the "Euroweenies" complaints, those "Euroweenies" do not see any point in keeping this parthership.

I could not agree more!

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

first of all, countries don´t have friends, the concept doesn´t apply to that scale.
    are they spying on an ally? I expect they are spying on everyone to be honest, maybe with not as much fervor as they spy on their enemies, but it is what it is.

if you don´t want to get spied on you up your defensive steps against it.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

I like to think that someone in the NSA takes time to check up on me. Makes me feel important.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

GG:

Germany is not a vassal state. The US has never had the knack of "putting the boot on someone's neck" properly so as to truly establish vassalage. Not saying we are morally beyond trying it, just that we have too much of a lingering morality to do it properly.

That said, the USA does tend, at least since the collapse of the CCCP if not before, to be haphazard and "high handed" with its allies in NATO and elsewhere. The absence of a coherent foreign policy since the conclusion of the cold war and the way our internal politics can whipsaw Congressional support and Executive attention often manifests itself in cavalier behavior towards those who we label our allies.

As to the spying....it is a little discussed fact that most friendly governments spy on one another as well as on their "enemies." Mossad has run operations in the USA for years. I would be surprised if German Intelligence services were not doing the same -- after all, figuring out what the current set of temp workers staffing the White House is up to behind the Press Releases might be of advantage, no? Intelligence services spy on everyone but themselves, and that usually includes spying on their own intelligence rivals down the strasse as well.

In other threads, I have asserted that it is my growing belief that we must bring NATO to a close. Allow the United States of Europe (Label it the EU or Grossdeustchland for all I care) to form --with or without the Brits at their discretion -- and let them chart their own course. The USA has a lot of work to do in the New World, melding our semi-English heritage with our quasi-Latino future.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Problem with this idea is that the USA spends more money on military then everyone else combined.

Yet that doesn't stop its own intelligence agencies spying on its own citizens. Sure there is oversight in the form of secret courts whose requests don't get enforced and political committees who when publicly lied to get fixed by a special reform commission with a key member the person who lied to the commission being the individual who lied.

Having a large anything means nothing if you can't handle it properly...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    Problem with this idea is that the USA spends more money on military then everyone else combined.

Yet that doesn't stop its own intelligence agencies spying on its own citizens. Sure there is oversight in the form of secret courts whose requests don't get enforced and political committees who when publicly lied to get fixed by a special reform commission with a key member the person who lied to the commission being the individual who lied.

Having a large anything means nothing if you can't handle it properly...
    We need your help. We need our allies to counter the malevolent forces in our governments. We are not able to control our government. Help us and take responsibility. Aussies aren't particularly bad at this, so thank you.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This isn't anything personal you know... Israel spies on us all the time. You know what we can do about it? Not a damn thing. So yeah, I understand your frustration, but your situation is hardly unique. Furthermore, it has nothing to do with "subservience" of your government.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Germany is also a wayward ally (possibly as a result of the US being a wayward ally). We (supposedly) put Canada, Australia, UK, Ireland "off limits" for spying. But France and Germany are "allies" rather than ALLIES. Some clinal observance of our alliances is appropriate. Revelations that we are spying on countries that seem to resent us, seem to control an economic competitor (the EU), and just 80 years ago tried to take over the world after ethnically cleansing it - isn't shocking.

Spying on every waking moment of civilian's lives is.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 07-11-2014 at 01:25.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We need your help. We need our allies to counter the malevolent forces in our governments. We are not able to control our government. Help us and take responsibility. Aussies aren't particularly bad at this, so thank you.
    I thought you have guns for this, what happened?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

We do, but as everyone says, "what will that really do?" Civilian held arms and allies with conventional forces are what won us the Revolution.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mate Australia not only drinks the same Kool Aid we double down on it. For the US we will squeal like a pig man.

It's an issue with transparency (very hard with spy agencies), accountability (not so hard) and desire.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

People around the world need to grow a backbone. We should start here, at home. A United States which grows its central government, restricts the freedom of its citizens, expands an opaque secret legal system; is an enemy of the free world. Don't treat that government like a friend. It is your most dangerous enemy.

A world that has no responsible actor to dissuade this country from its evil impulses is not a safe and free world. Americans are no safer because Europeans refuse to defend themselves.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 07-11-2014 at 05:46.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

People around the world need to grow a backbone. We should start here, at home. A United States which grows its central government, restricts the freedom of its citizens, expands an opaque secret legal system; is an enemy of the free world. Don't treat that government like a friend. It is your most dangerous enemy.
    The problem is when I say that it's anti-Americanism and I'm ignored or told that it's still much better than North Korea and I should shut my mouth.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    The problem is when I say that it's anti-Americanism and I'm ignored or told that it's still much better than North Korea and I should shut my mouth.
    No, I'm just telling you to arm yourselves and don't rely on the US for protection. It doesn't care about you and it is succumbing to ancient temptations of power. In fact, one day we may need your help removing the shackles.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

If I were in charge then I would definitely spy on my allies just like the US. And I suspect that Germany and, oh, just about everyone else, follows much the same principle.

Edit:

WHat do think embassies are for?
    Last edited by Slyspy; 07-13-2014 at 11:41.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

I think it's time for the German people to rise..

I'll let myself out

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    I think it's time for the German people to rise..

I'll let myself out
    YES I'll answer myself, as Germany just showed their "obvious superiority" and no one here caught the ball... Much like Argentina.

We seriously need an emoticon to ninja-roll in... So I could follow it with and
    Last edited by Kadagar_AV; 07-14-2014 at 00:46.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw somewhere. which had Argentinians call the Germans 'Nazi's and the Germans are replying with 'Nazi Harbourers'.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Heard that there were loads of Brazilians happily cheering for Germany.

Apparently, Germany was an opponent who handed them a bad defeat. However, Germany was also responsible for beating the real "enemy."

Apparently, SA has not yet embraced the European "we're beyond nationalism" mantra.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

LOL because Germany doesn't spy on anyone including themselves.

You drama queens. Vassal state? When Berlin 2014 turns into Budapest 1956 you can cry to me about the big bad American jackboot.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    This is why I want a stronger EU. Right now as it is, we are weak and divided. If Europe gets more united, our government may be able to stand up to the big bullies in town instead of being like "Something happened, but let's just not upset the big boss". Sure, we may have to give up some rights, but in my opinion, it is worth it.
    This is a top lel post. If you think it's bad being a "vassal state" try living here. Nancy Pelosi is more eager to find out what porn I like, than solving the problem that California only has 12-18 months of water left before we all ******* die. My apologies to Gelatinous Cube my people need your water so we can satisfy our obnoxious HOA's that mandate crisp, green lawns in the middle of the desert that is Southern California.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Shoot we need our water! Got growing cities in places that actually support life, y'know... You drink all of Colorado's water already?
    Hell by the time we get our share of the Colorado its more sludge than water.

You'd think California would have found a way to turn the sea into drinkable water in a reasonable way, by now. What with the dire need for other peoples' valuable drinking water, and the fact that california's GDP is comparable to Russia's, you'd think they'd be working on this one a bit more urgently.
    All they need is some sunshine or nuclear power and it would be easy...

You'd think California would have found a way to turn the sea into drinkable water in a reasonable way, by now. What with the dire need for other peoples' valuable drinking water, and the fact that california's GDP is comparable to Russia's, you'd think they'd be working on this one a bit more urgently.
    You would think. California is exceptionally unsustainable when it comes to water and the politicians don't care because the water is not from California. Desalination would require lots of power plants though since large scale desalination is very energy intensive. It won't happen until water becomes more scarce. But by then it will be too late to build the power plants in time and any power plants will be natural gas since California hates both coal and nuclear. They are literally holding California and the rest of the United States on a knife's edge since the vast majority of water usage goes to agriculture which feeds all of the US. Drive on the I5 through the central valley and every 10 miles is a sign asking for more water.

Blog Entries

"Hey Reginald, cancel the invasion plan, turns out all we need to do is wait for the colonies to run out of water."
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Husar 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast