Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: performance question

Default Re: performance question

Yes, just with the plain turbo boost(@3.8GHz). I will try that and let you know.
    However I'm pretty sure for my case it's the GPU, like I said we don't have any LODs made for the first release.

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I_damian View Post
    EB2 will be the real Rome 2.
    Well put.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Hopefully the hype-rant pattern will not repeat itself.

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

After reading this topic I'm starting to wonder if I should even bother downloading the mod when it's out.
    I have an Intel Core Duo (2.13 GHz), 2 GB RAM (not expandable anymore) and an ATI Radeon HD 4800.

Is there anyone on the team who's able to play the mod with similar specs?
    I'm fully aware that I'll have to play with the lowest possible settings. That's something I'm expecting since years, the computer I'm using I bought years ago to finally play Rome TW - or better: EB I - and it wasn't highend even back then. And that was 7 years ago . . .

It would be frustating if that wouldn't be enough, since I simply can't afford a new computer.

My only hope is that I never had any problems with any M2TW mod (not even with Third Age or DLV) with this computer. *crosses fingers*

EDIT: Just to be clear - this is not meant as complaint about the current system requirements or as some kind of "How dare you to create a free game I cannot play on my computer!" - I am just afraid that I will not be able to play it, after all those years of waiting. And I hope that the team can perhaps ease my concerns.
    Last edited by Shadowwalker; 08-05-2014 at 11:05. Reason: some clarification
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

You should have no problems playing it, but not on huge scale, I suggest small to normal, and with lower graphics settings.

Even for the campaign map we offer a lower version of the vegetation for low end systems, to use it go to the graphics settings and set disable campaign map shadows.
    Also you should consider to disable the graphics mod, via shift+f12 or uninstalling it completely.
    Last edited by Tux; 08-05-2014 at 11:16.

Member thankful for this post:

About specs. I'm prepared this time but I remember that I had quite a shock when I realised my computer was unable to handle the high res version of Roma Surectum 2.6.
    Not being able to play a mod based on a 2002 engine when it could easily play R2 with everything on high ; that was a total surprise.
    Last edited by Alcibiade; 08-11-2014 at 22:55.

I remember that it could happen in Rome and Medieval 2 that reinforcements would be delayed on the map, because my computer was not powerful enough. I think it did not happen with 2v2, but more like 3v3 or more.
    The game was otherwise without problems. But at that time then I did not know that the single player could be played on huge, so it was always on normal I think.

My processor is Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz 2.80GHz
    Ram: 4 GB (3,25 usable).

If I wanted to play on huge, with low to normal graphics, and participate in battles with 3v3 or 4v4 then...

Would I need to upgrade both the Ram and the Processor, or only either one?
    Last edited by VikingPower; 08-05-2014 at 19:09.

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tux View Post
    You should have no problems playing it, but not on huge scale, I suggest small to normal, and with lower graphics settings.

Even for the campaign map we offer a lower version of the vegetation for low end systems, to use it go to the graphics settings and set disable campaign map shadows.
    Also you should consider to disable the graphics mod, via shift+f12 or uninstalling it completely.
    Thank you, Tux! That's more or less exactly what I hoped to read.

And now - back to anticipation mode. :)

P.S.: Thank you, EB Team, for spoiling us with so many screens and other goodies lately. Much appreciated (although each new information makes it harder to wait patiently. )
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

Thanks to Tux for the tips.

I'm going to start playing on Huge unit size, but with the absolute lowest possible graphics settings and the lowest possible screen resolution. If EBII seems 'fast' to me on that setting, then I will incrementally increase the graphics settings and screen resolution little by little until I reach what seems to be a good balance between frame rate and graphics detail.

(Although graphics detail, for me, is the least important aspect of EBII.)

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Marcellus Scato View Post
    Thanks to Tux for the tips.

I'm going to start playing on Huge unit size, but with the absolute lowest possible graphics settings and the lowest possible screen resolution. If EBII seems 'fast' to me on that setting, then I will incrementally increase the graphics settings and screen resolution little by little until I reach what seems to be a good balance between frame rate and graphics detail.

(Although graphics detail, for me, is the least important aspect of EBII.)
    Indeed, I agree on all fronts. Unit Size is the primary consideration, coming a long way ahead of graphical detail for me.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Any performance comments from people who have downloaded EB2? How are people doing with frame rate, unit size and graphic detail? Is it slow or fast on your PC?

My new mini-PC is on order, but won't arrive for 2 weeks. Patient.... I must be patient...

Spec:
    CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (3.60 Ghz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte H97N-Wifi
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz (2x4GB)
    Hard Drive: Samsung 120GB 840 Evo SSD
    Secondary Hard Drive: 1TB
    Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    Case: Coolermaster Elite 130
    PSU: 450W Corsair VS

I've noticed some pretty gigantic drops in framerate, even when zoomed out and viewing the unit sprites which usually (if my TW memory serves me correctly) should result in better performance. Also some weird slowdown in battles when I wasn't even looking at anything. In fact because it was slowing down so much I moved my camera far away from the action and looked at the scenery and it was still chugging.

For the record I have an i7 4770K and a GTX 770 (4GB... although Shogun 2 and Rome 2 think it's 2 and 3GB respectively. Nice engine work, CA! :V )

I'll do some more testing though on different settings. How much performance impact does the new grass have? Also just a personal opinion but I think the new grass looks pretty awful :s
    I am King of Rome, and above grammar.

Wow - your specs are far better than mine will be! Presumably you're on high detail levels and using the graphics mod?

Minister of Useless Tidbits Member joshmahurin's Avatar

@Chuffy if I remember correctly the units don't use sprites ATM. I could be very wrong here I was just pretty sure I'd read this somewhere. @Tux

We have sprites, we don't have LODs for most units.
    I suggest setting the lowest detail for unit graphics just as a test to see if it improves performance and you don't have more issues.

If not try to update the graphic drivers.

Minister of Useless Tidbits Member joshmahurin's Avatar

Ah yes I was wrong indeed sorry :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12