Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Divinity: Original Sin

Default Re: Divinity: Original Sin

Wow! I thought I had this game beat then hit the fight with Mangoth.
    Ouch!!! I had to respec my tanks and restructure the battlefield to win the fight.
    Nice! (but also frustrating:p)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My first attempt against the end boss...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    he went straight for the Druid-girl and killed her before my 2nd turn. That sucked hard.
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-11-2014 at 15:50.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Haha, I so loved this game. And the ending was a blast. What can I say, my favorite solution to almost every problem I faced in DOS was summons, the meat shield that keeps on giving.

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    Wow! I thought I had this game beat then hit the fight with Mangoth.
    Ouch!!! I had to respec my tanks and restructure the battlefield to win the fight.
    Nice! (but also frustrating:p)
    A sure sign of a game giving its players their due respect.

I'm into the final two battles (Trife and Void)
    Ready as I will ever be.
    Tiaexz displays one frustration I have with this game; the RNG can kill the best plans period; sometimes all you can do is reload and retry.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

That however is how actual engagements take place, there's the plan for what you intend to do and there are the ancillary plans to deal with what goes wrong at the point of contact which is practically inevitable. So just as I make contingencies in Combat Mission or Xcom I did the same in DOS and rolled with the punches.

Once you complete it circle back with your thoughts, I'll tell you how I killed the last one that will amuse you I suspect and prove my point of working with contingencies, took me btw nearly an hour to defeat him, when you hear how you'll know why.

Well that was a bit of an anticlimax.
    The Trife was hardly a battle, once my warrior was in tight it was all over. The Void critters are annoying but little else.
    The Dragon battle was long, but again once I parked my warrior in his face I knew where the attacks would be. De-buffed he can be blinded, knocked down, slowed, etc.
    I enjoyed the game :)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I found the fights where you couldn't control where the damage was going to be the hardest. If they simply decided to RNG, you could get screwed.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    Well that was a bit of an anticlimax.
    The Trife was hardly a battle, once my warrior was in tight it was all over. The Void critters are annoying but little else.
    The Dragon battle was long, but again once I parked my warrior in his face I knew where the attacks would be. De-buffed he can be blinded, knocked down, slowed, etc.
    I enjoyed the game :)
    Yep, it was a long slog w/ the dragon, but I liked it, why it took me awhile was because I used summons to deal damage on him and kept my guys back away dealing with what he spawned. Needless to say the summons don't do all that much damage so it took awhile, but I still liked it because it demonstrates what I like about the games difficulty, it's challenging, but it's not stupid save scumming hard in that when you encounter an engagement for the first time you can figure out tactics in battle that will work. So adaption to circumstances works. That's just good game design.

And as you said, you have a variety of options to bring to bear on him which is a nice reward for tracking down the right package for the job at hand.

Tiaxez,

RNG doesn't bother me, I guess I enjoy anticipating the possibility and having constituencies for it.
    Last edited by easytarget; 12-29-2014 at 19:47.

That's cool :) I found the summons did so little damage I kept them back to deal with void critters. The archer would light them up and the summons finish them off.
    The warrior had a complete slate of debuffs; when elemental debuff was applied I would nuke, will: knockdown, blind, poison.
    Keeping Haste and Shield on warrior basically made him immortal and kept damage flowing.
    I agree, the best part about the game is the variety of ways to play it.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

Did my playthrough not so long ago, it was lots of fun, but i wouldn't care to it again. The game has no replay value for me.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Yep, to be expected, I don't recall ever playing an RPG where I had any expectation of playing it again.

On my 3rd replay; what can I say I like the game.
    A minor bug; all 3 play throughs I pick up the archer in Cyseal right at the beginning and feed her all arrows/parts/sinews etc. Sometime after finishing the first map, the bulk of the accumulated arrows disappear.
    No, not dumped in a trunk or used up in combat; one day I return to Homestead, group her up and notice almost all the arrows are gone from her inventory.
    Fortunately arrows are plentiful and fairly cheap, I just resent starting from near 0 well into the game.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Good for you! This is after all a to each his own sort of thing, just because I can't envision ever slogging through any RPG more than once doesn't mean you can't!

And I gotta say, I'm still a big fan of Divinity, it and Valkyrie Chronicles were the two best games I've played in more than a year.

I liked this one so much I bought in on my very first kickstarter for DOS2. Not surprisingly they hit their 500k goal in 12 hours, haha.

Also looking forward to another run through on the original DOS enhanced version for free (for those who own it already of course) come October.

Member thankful for this post:

Enhanced version is in your steam games waiting download for anyone who already owns DOS. Worth a look, they spent a fair amount of time polishing this one, and given that it's free to anyone already owning the game not much downside.

Nearly 20 hours in on the new campaign, enjoying having voices to everything this time. Good fun to revisit this one again.

Thank you for posting this!

DOS was just an icon on the screen for months; could not bear another play-thru; looking forward to romping through this! (yet again)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Exiting the EE locks up my laptop. In light of that and the laundry list of bugs I see on the game forums, I think I'll wait a bit for them to clean it up before I give it a serious try. I'm looking forward to it though.
    This space intentionally left blank

I've not encountered anything so far, but if you are seems like a plan.

Still buggy.
    For taking down Arhu's psychotic machine I tried to move the controller to my warrior.
    Game will not recognize that he has the controller now; since he's first to arrive at the machine I gave him the controller, but it always shows my mage's position when I use it...she is well back from the melee/hence out of range.
    Winning the fight w/o using the controller? At this level very unlikely.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Can you go back to earlier save where you can change who is holding it?

I'm almost half way through, mainly playing it again just to see how they changed the ending (I liked the original one, so i'm intrigued as to what they did).

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Picked that one up on sale and doing a coop run with a buddy.
    Fantastic game, we had an awesome evening. Writing is beautiful, combat and puzzles require some actual thinking and the humour and geeky jokes are priceless sometimes.
    I especially loved the sneak animations.
    Will continue definitely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12