Thread: Problem loading MTW: GOLD with windows 8

Default Problem loading MTW: GOLD with windows 8

First of all I apologize if this is a beaten to death topic. I'm just with little time, and want to find a solution if there exists one.

I'm having the typical crash after game booting intro. Right before the game menu. I've had problems in the past on other computers, with vista & windows 7 I believe. But I think they were only ever with getting the game not to crash immediately after reaching the campaign map. I'd eventually find a way to get it to work after a long time fiddling around with it.

I'd heard something about one or two file fixes for my issue, so I'm curious

my specs, if they matter at all

dell inspiron 660
    1TB
    8GB DDR3
    intel HD 2500

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Problem loading MTW: GOLD with windows 8

Welcome to the Org, nifleheim!

I don't think MTW runs on Windows 8, I assume Metro tiling is to blame but I'm not sure. I wonder if ClassicShell solves this.

You can try a few things. Create an empty file called "skipcredits.txt" in the root MTW directory, this prevents the intro from playing. The button fix for the campaign map can be found here, but it sounds like you aren't even getting to that point. I'm not very familiar with the Redmond devil known as Win 8, but if you can set compatibility settings try for Win2000. But even if you can get to the main menu, you might run into trouble with your graphics card, the Intel video adapters are notorious for not working with MTW.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Default Re: Problem loading MTW: GOLD with windows 8

Yeah it doesn't work no matter what you do. It crashes normally and in XP compatability mode and won't start in 98/Me compatability mode. I have a suspiscion that if there was a 2000 compatibility mode or 98 and Me were separate compatability modes it may work as well. The button and res fix doesn't work either neither does typing D at the end of the target line or running as admin.