Thread: Chariots

Default Chariots

Does anybody have any tips on how to use chariots? I am Britain in RTW. I don't use Heavy Chariots, just light ones, because for very similar stats, the Light Chariots also get a missile attack. I have tried running through the enemy instead of attacking them to break up the formation, then turning back on them and attacking. That only provides limited success, I usually end up losing a lot of men if I fight anything Hastati or above. I have found that the best way to beat chariots is to keep a tight formation, so I try not to let the enemy do that. Right now, then, I use them as archers and to take out enemy cav. Better ideas, anyone?
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Chariots

Better ideas, anyone?
    Nope. Only played Britannia once or twice. Can't stand to have my generals in "donkey carts"...which probably says a bunch about my opinion of them. I'd agree with you on just using the light chariot and their archery skills....
    High Plains Drifter

Default Re: Chariots

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Can't stand to have my generals in "donkey carts"...which probably says a bunch about my opinion of them
    Agreed. They get owned by just about anything heavy. They do all right against Cav, even a general's bodyguard. Before Marius, it is even better, they own just about any cav. Don't know about Heavy Chariots, but Light Chariots do good against light melee cav, not heavy or missile cav. And DON'T let any chariot unit get bogged down in a battle line.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare