Thread: D.C. Circuit Court guts Obamacare

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default D.C. Circuit Court guts Obamacare

D.C. Circuit Court guts Obamacare

Basically, the law says that exchanges established by the states are eligible for federal subsidy. However, most states did not establish exchanges so those states were rolled into the federal exchange. The administration tried to argue that Healthcare.gov counts as being established by the states. The court disagreed 2-1. They acknowledged in their decision the impact of the ruling, but said that they must respect the language of the law as written. Therefore, an estimated 7.3 million enrollees are no longer eligible for subsidy.

This will certainly be appealed.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 07-22-2014 at 18:20.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: D.C. Circuit Court guts Obamacare

They will change that aspect of the law.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    They will change that aspect of the law.
    Were it to lose on appeal, it would require congressional action to amend the law.

I don't know how likely that would be with the GOP controlling the House- they probably wouldn't be willing to pass a simple change like that without getting some other changes that they've been seeking. And a Democrat senate would likely refuse to take up anything but a clean bill.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    So the states that chose to screw their own people by rejecting the healthcare expansion now have their ulterior motive revealed. Not satisfied with borking their own people, they have laid the legal framework for challenging the law itself. Douchebaggery knows no bounds, and I am again repulsed by the GOP.
    You assume the GOP in it's current form has the ability to form a coherent strategy. They only want to tear down whatever Obama has created, long term consequences be damned. Chances are this will backfire if upheld. The states that didn't make their own exchanges are either GOP controlled or swing state, once those people get the bill for this chances are they will not be voting Republican any time soon. Ohio, PA, Florida, Wisconsin, VA will all likely fall to the Dem candidate come 2016.

And keep pissing off the Latinos, may as well double down!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Members thankful for this post (2):

Its getting complicated, looks like a job for the Supremes!:

http://http://www.motherjones.com/po...ourt-obamacare
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Were it to lose on appeal, it would require congressional action to amend the law.

I don't know how likely that would be with the GOP controlling the House- they probably wouldn't be willing to pass a simple change like that without getting some other changes that they've been seeking. And a Democrat senate would likely refuse to take up anything but a clean bill.
    Just in time to let the Dem's defend Obamacare as part of their November efforts -- which they would adore since no other issue is running their way right now and the Obama administration is lame in both wings and one paddle foot.

Remember, aside from the insipidities of the website rollout, those aspects of the ACA of which the public is aware -- I can now get coverage despite my pre-existing condition/I can still keep my children on my policy etc. -- are in place now and sell well in the media. Moreover, the penalties system is being blithely ignored by many because none of the penalty payments will be due until after the first of the year. Meanwhile, the HoR stalling this thing lets them paint the whole issue as "the GOP won't allow us to fix problems with this legislation, they are engineering its failure for their own political gain."

This is really easily spun to Dem advantage while any ACA implosion cannot possibly happen fast enough to affect the November elections. Maybe the collapse of the ACA would happen fast enough to influence 2016.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

The failure of Congress to hammer out the appropriate legislation has dropped it in the lap of the courts.
    So far the judiciary seems content to vote along partisan lines, making the political judicial.
    The Dem's may yet use this as a rallying call for the upcoming elections.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0FR1JI20140722
    Ja-mata TosaInu

This isn't likely to be sorted out before November- it's going to be bogged down in the appeals process.

The administration will request an en banc review in the DC Circuit, and regardless out the outcome, the losing side will appeal it to the SCOTUS.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 07-23-2014 at 02:08.
    -Abraham Lincoln