Thread: What is the best war/strategy game story line?

Default What is the best war/strategy game story line?

Hi guys,

Can you please share which is the best war/strategy game story line you have seen?

How important is the story line for you? Comment please.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: What is the best war/strategy game story line?

Homeworld

I do like a good story to add some emotional stakes to the need for victory. A win for the sake of winning can ring hollow on in certain game types. Setting a scenario isn't enough. With a good story on a longer campaign, you can get to "know" and care about the people in the war.

As for a specific game, the original Starcraft comes to mind. It has a few good plot twists and an ending that was satisfying yet saddened. While the subsequent story lines weren't as good (in my mind), the feelings born of the first story line have stayed with me afterwards. I'd love to meet Arctaurus Mengsk in a back alley some day...assuming I was built like a marine, that is.
    This space intentionally left blank

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

The Mass Effect series, right up until the final 10 minutes or so.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

The one you create yourself are my favorite, that's sort of the whole idea behind well designed strategy games isn't it? You are in their shoes seeing what you can do with whatever resources are presented to you.

Strategy games are not narrative driven, and imho games in general are lousy at it, which is why I avoid it for the most part.

The better question which has been previously posed to Cospetia is: what are you going on about here with this single post question business? You post a single question and then never participate in the subsequent dialogue.

So how about either participating or fess up as to what you're doing.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    I do like a good story to add some emotional stakes to the need for victory. A win for the sake of winning can ring hollow on in certain game types. Setting a scenario isn't enough. With a good story on a longer campaign, you can get to "know" and care about the people in the war.

As for a specific game, the original Starcraft comes to mind. It has a few good plot twists and an ending that was satisfying yet saddened. While the subsequent story lines weren't as good (in my mind), the feelings born of the first story line have stayed with me afterwards. I'd love to meet Arctaurus Mengsk in a back alley some day...assuming I was built like a marine, that is.
    Very nice reply. Thank you. I`m totally agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    The one you create yourself are my favorite, that's sort of the whole idea behind well designed strategy games isn't it? You are in their shoes seeing what you can do with whatever resources are presented to you.

Strategy games are not narrative driven, and imho games in general are lousy at it, which is why I avoid it for the most part.

The better question which has been previously posed to Cospetia is: what are you going on about here with this single post question business? You post a single question and then never participate in the subsequent dialogue.

So how about either participating or fess up as to what you're doing.

Sorry for my late answer, but I was away and couldn`t enter the forum. For me it is very important every game to tell a story, because it is the first thing that catches the eye of the gamer. That is why I also love to watch game intros, because this is the first impression of the game, where you can feel it and decide if you like it or not.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Btw, anyone remember the classic No One Lives Forever and No One Lives Forever 2? Just occurred to me not so much as an example of great story, although for an FPS it was rather good, it was because the humor in the game, which is so hard to pull off in a game anyway, was really rather good.

Humour is a tough one, but when done right, is awesome. Borderlands2 was hysterical. I started playing Lego Lord of the Rings this weekend and it has me LOLing quite a bit.
    This space intentionally left blank

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Btw, anyone remember the classic No One Lives Forever and No One Lives Forever 2? Just occurred to me not so much as an example of great story, although for an FPS it was rather good, it was because the humor in the game, which is so hard to pull off in a game anyway, was really rather good.
    Awesome games, some of the conversations had me roaring with laughter. Best one was a German thug who attended evening school and talks about the correlation between beer consumption and criminal behaviour. That the gameplay wasfantastic didn't hurt either. Not untill fear have I seen such great AI