Thread: Egypt Legendary Campaign

Default Egypt Legendary Campaign

I'm playing as Egypt on legendary and am really moving along and kicking butt. I'm at about year 40 (230 AD) and hold about 30 settlements. I would like like to know about what year the inevitable confrontation with Rome will occur and when will the Punic Wars between Rome and Carthage take place? I'm just building now so when I attack Rome I can fight them at their strongest and get some quality gameplay from it.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default Re: Egypt Legendary Campaign

This is an open sand-box game; there is no set date for the Punic war (unless you play the Punic war expansion HatG) and it might not ever happen since Rome frequently gets wiped out by other AI's; the same goes for Carthage.

You should investigate your map to see if those two contenders are still alive and kicking. Then, if they are, and are not at war with each other yet, you can engineer the Punic war, by declaring war on one and then paying the other to join on your side ;)

Really...I thought the game was programmed so that Rome would eventually knock off everyone and attack me. I didn't think the game would allow another AI to take out Rome. I have looked around my map and Carthage and Rome are fighting each other already. It seems like the Romans are starting to turn the tide their way though....I think they are near conquering all of Italy.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Nope, sometimes they get wiped out early on, sometimes they take over a good chunk of the map, it depends.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Nope, sometimes they get wiped out early on, sometimes they take over a good chunk of the map, it depends.
    I've never seen Rome expand beyond Cisalpina. Never not once unless I play them myself. It usually ends up being overrun by Epirus, which then gets overrun by Sparta, depending on whether or not Sparta captured Larissa before Athens got there, if Athens got there first, Rome gets wiped out by Athens or Athens gets wiped out by Macedon (depending on whether the Odrysian Kingdom and Macedon go to war and whether or not Athens can take Pella)

If the Greeks don't get there, Rome usually dies or is at least kept in check by the almighty Veneti or Liguria (which sometimes take all of Cisalpina in 10-15 turns and then turn into an unstoppable behemoth, at least until it runs into the Celtic Confederation which usually spawns somewhere around Pannonia)

If Rome (as an AI) doesn't get dragged into the war between Syracuse, Carthage and Carthage's allies, Syracuse will sooner or later hold Africa and might expand all the way to Spain. Egypt and the Seleucids start a war early on, which the Seleucids, in my experience have always won, despite being at war with everything East of the Jordan.

If Athens and Macedon continue being friends, Athens will expand into Galatia and eventually hold all of that.

In the north, Royal Scythia turns into the Empire of the Horde of the Steppe and expands all the way into Germania, at which point they'll run into the Luigi or whatever they're called, who simply wont die, despite having 2 settlements at the most, unless the Luigi became a part of the German Confederation under the Suebi, who will rampage around there, until they run into the Averni, who at this point will have everything between the pyrenees and the Rhine.

The Iceni will conquer all of Britain and retire from Rome 2 Total War after 20 turns, unless someone goes and waves swords at them (someone being the player because none of the AI factions realise that Britain is there and the Vikings weren't around yet, come to think of it, the Vikings probably originated from some of those tribes anyways)

Oh yeah, Celtiberian Confederation.. they usually take over Spain and then nothing happens there either, unless they go to war with the Averni.

I think I've started way too many new campaigns.

To be fair I am playing with mods that gives/removes bonuses. From what I know in the vanilla game, the minor factions get a large monetary sum each turn while the larger ones also get some money, but not as much as the minor factions.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Oh yeah what mod is that?

I've been playing around with battles to see when the animation stuttering stops and I've played some bits of the prologue. It's amazing fun to use ballistas in first person mode while watching in slow motion how the rocks you throw at people roll through formations.

Also, it is possible to lose the prologue. I've done so and Rome got all angry and grrr with me and replaced me/Silanus/Mark Strong with someone else who then autoresolved his way to Salernum.

Radious. Gives the major AI factions more money to survive.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Do you know if there is some mod that does just that without anything else? Or is there like a Radious light, without all the new units and stuff?

Look up "Guaranteed major faction empires" in the Steam workshop or "Minor factions are minor."
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    To be fair I am playing with mods that gives/removes bonuses. From what I know in the vanilla game, the minor factions get a large monetary sum each turn while the larger ones also get some money, but not as much as the minor factions.
    The minor faction extra cash bonus was removed in patch 12 or 13. One can feel it very well when playing as Romans against Etruscans. The latter have become real pushovers.

The main minor faction "bonus" now is that they're many, creating multiple fronts for larger AI's.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_drula View Post
    Really...I thought the game was programmed so that Rome would eventually knock off everyone and attack me. I didn't think the game would allow another AI to take out Rome. I have looked around my map and Carthage and Rome are fighting each other already. It seems like the Romans are starting to turn the tide their way though....I think they are near conquering all of Italy.
    To succeed, Roman AI should have way more than Italy by turn 40.
    Last edited by Slaists; 07-25-2014 at 14:27.

I typically like the fact that minor factions can succeed. Just because this is historically based I don't want to see Rome get massive every play though. That would get exceedingly boring. I like to see small factions get large empires. Just my opinion though I guess
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    I typically like the fact that minor factions can succeed. Just because this is historically based I don't want to see Rome get massive every play though. That would get exceedingly boring. I like to see small factions get large empires. Just my opinion though I guess
    I like the same, yet, I'd like to see Rome have a good chance of becoming big, especially if the player is some far-away faction not messing things up for Rome from the start. Now, it seems, the chance for Rome to become big is pretty miniscule if non-existent.

On top of that, Roman late roster is so strong that it would be fun to face them in late game. All the other rosters cannot compete with player's maxed out armies at that stage. The Roman one would be interesting to face.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Every faction can field dangerous armies late game if the AI knew how to go for big provinces and deliberately upgrade them for production.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

wrong thread
    Last edited by Slaists; 07-28-2014 at 14:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    I like the same, yet, I'd like to see Rome have a good chance of becoming big, especially if the player is some far-away faction not messing things up for Rome from the start. Now, it seems, the chance for Rome to become big is pretty miniscule if non-existent.

On top of that, Roman late roster is so strong that it would be fun to face them in late game. All the other rosters cannot compete with player's maxed out armies at that stage. The Roman one would be interesting to face.
    The only way I can keep Rome on the map is to give them a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_drula View Post
    The only way I can keep Rome on the map is to give them a lot of money.
    Have you been successful with that tactic?

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Have you been successful with that tactic?
    Oh yeah...I've given them maybe 80 to 100k over a 70 year period in the game. With those type of resources they just dominated the Italian peninsula and got really strong. Luckily for me I'm good at generating money in this game. It just sucked when I had to declare war on an "ally".