Thread: Assassin's Creed

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Assassin's Creed

More or less, this thread will focus on the series as a whole.

So welcome fellow Assassins! Welcome to our little AC den over here on the Org, where you'll be able to discuss Altair, Ezio, Connor and Edward, along with the soon-to-be-unleashed Arno of the French Revolution. The next installment will be called Assassins Creed: Unity, which you can find the trailer below.

And on that note, who's a fan? And who played the last one, which I am currently enjoying, Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag?
    Last edited by edyzmedieval; 07-25-2014 at 23:58.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Assassin's Creed

Series is lost to me, everything falls apart when you screw up, you can so easily fight your way out of any situation. Getting caught should be a game of cat and mice like in Thief. Stealth done wrong. If you play it right it can be a good game, but it's almost impossible to screw up when you screw up. The game should be much much harder, having to face two guards should be the worst proposition ever, not a slash-fest.

Members thankful for this post (2):

I like the second one and the free for all multiplayer mode in Brotherhood was really really awesome. Beyond that, it's just more and more and more of the same, ad infinitum. I got bored about 2 hours into the 3rd one, tried the one where you are a pirate but didn't last long there either (add to that that that game was really crap on the 360 and XBox1, like not really optimised or whatever, basically the sound and animations were out of synch all the time and stuff). The new one with the French revolution looks interesting but that's about it. They all looked interesting ^^

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Played the 1st one to completion, liked it, seemed pretty fresh and interesting, with a suggestion of an untold story and world I could get into.

The 2nd one actually completely delivered on the promise of the 1st one revealing a world that really was interesting and going somewhere it felt like.

Then the team that had that vision left the company, the result is incoherent trash recycled over and over in a new guise to maintain revenue from the franchise.

Would never purchase any game with AssCreed written on it now and I'm very disappointed they didn't see there way through to "finish the story" they had begun. But then that's also true of much of television. How often does a singular vision get to screen successfully? Rarely. Which is why we almost never see the likes of Babylon 5 or The Prisoner. Same applies to game IP.
    Last edited by easytarget; 07-26-2014 at 17:03. Reason: spelling

There is a story? Personally, I didn't really care an awful lot for the stuff that happened outside of this virtual reality thing or whatever it is haha.

Yeah, a rather interesting one in fact. And it took place inside the virt and outside.

I really liked AC1, but I absolutely loved AC 2. The beauty of Florence and the fun with Ezio was incomparable.

Plus, the soundtrack on AC2 was incredible!

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Completely agree, I consider AC2 one of the best games I've ever played, I really thought it was pretty freakin brilliant. It's funny how I can feel by the design, story, game mechanics, when a dev has a unified vision and story that they've managed to get into the game. Everything in this one worked.

I got that same impression when I played my first campaign in Shogun 2. Every single detail in the game felt like it was in service to a unified vision.

And most interesting of all, in both of the above examples they came from major studios with lots of employees working on the project. That makes it all the more difficult to pull off, so hats off to the projector directors in each case, I can't imagine how hard that must be to do.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked the series before they started churning them out for money like a CoD game, which ruined the novelty of them.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Liked AC1, loved AC2, but my favourite game in the series was actually Brotherhood. AC2 had some great music and some really bizarre music and since AC is so reliant on atmosphere this did bother me. Also the plot twist 2/3rds into the game was Bioshock-levels of stupid for me and ruined the entire ending of the game. Brotherhood was more... it felt more coherent, more immersive. I liked the singleplayer part of it a lot more than I expected (besides the first hour, of course), and I even liked all the "present-day"-stuff in it for once. Actual effort was put into it. Also: The MP. I spent 3 weeks grinding the MP, I could not believe how much fun I was having.

For me, the series broke down at Relevations. Yes, they replaced Jesper Kyd (the man behind the soundtracks), but everything else about that game was just worse than the previous ones. I even kind of liked the story's potential, but it was handled so poorly on every level. Did they hire Zack Snyder or George Lucas and forget to put them in the credits list? Why is there a tower defense mode? What purpose does the little hook-thingy do, other than to very mildly change climbing to be even easier and faster? Gameplay, story, atmosphere - it all went down the gutter. Now you just chug a poison grenade at guards and kill an army at a time - and I thought the Arrowstorm from Brotherhood was broken! At least Brotherhood has some genuinely tough missions that involved sneaking and timing.

AC3 was pathetic.

I haven't played the pirate one yet.

Blog Entries

Oh yes, I loved how you were the 'Master' and sent your recruits on missions and such. Pretty much dominated all of Europe with my influence. Then you would take down a massive crowd of guards, just because you called, and called in reinforcements and it was a bloodfest.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

The taking down the guards with your crossbowmen actually was fun, boss-style orders

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    I liked the series before they started churning them out for money like a CoD game, which ruined the novelty of them.
    This.
    I'm pretty certain they up whatever their original story was to make the series last longer. IIRC I had read somewhere that originally the whole story was supposed to end with Desmond defeating Hera, along with the Ezio storyline.
    Then they realized what an awesome cash cow the series would make and we got stuff like AC Black Flag. Five hours of story and Fifty hours of running/sailing around collecting feather or whatever stuff they are collecting now.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Beskar 

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I have watched my son running around New York slaughtering redcoats almost with impunity.

I read up a few things historically and, by my rough count, he had killed approximately 25% of the entire historical British garrison in that era.

Minded me of losing small armies to a jedi general in MTW.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Members thankful for this post (3):

I loved the Ezio storyline, as well as the Altair part - Altair always felt like a true assassin, a guy of the shadows and "do my business and get out".

Edward's not bad, I like his piratey attitude.

Proud

Been to:

Blog Entries

I always wanted co-op in Assassins Creed, then I saw Assassins Creed Unity will have 4player co-op.

I was excited for that brief moment till I realised what that would be like. Then suddenly went into the "I don't thinK i would like to play this in co-op with random people".

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

so u play it with friends... isnt that what games are for? XD

We do not sow.

Fresh new trailer of Unity.

Proud

Been to:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    so u play it with friends... isnt that what games are for? XD
    None of them will play and if we get it, we will probably end up getting it at different times (deals) so they played it already and don't want to do it again.
    Last edited by Beskar; 08-01-2014 at 19:52.

Makes for a good bullet point, and apparently rather effective with gamers too dumb to realize most of them will not in fact make use of it in reality.

Is that not the very definition of effective marketing, getting ppl to buy things they don't need and should know better than to be duped into purchasing?!

I'd go so far as to say that's pretty much America writ large right there...

Is anyone getting Unity, btw?

Proud

Been to:

You can probably guess my answer.

I wouldn't play this if it was handed to me for free.

Oh come on, it's not that bad.

In all seriousness now, Unity promises to be a pretty good game, and with that time frame, you can hardly go wrong.

Proud

Been to: